Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Why are you wearing (or why did you wear) a garter?

Garters just confuse me. 

Tell me why you're wearing yours or wore one at your wedding.  Are you participating in the garter toss?  Did you?

Interesting read about garters:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070705155602AA0Sj0Z

Re: Why are you wearing (or why did you wear) a garter?

• Options
    I suppose the only reason I'm wearing a garter is for tradition, just like I'll do the old, new, borrowed, blue.  But I'm stopping the tradition short of the garter toss.  We aren't doing a bouquet or garter toss.  Also, I think its kinda sexy :)
  • Options
    I read the article, but i've never heard of the tattering of the wedding dress tale. I have read however that taking the garter off was what men use to do long ago to prove that they consumated the marriage and also people use to watch the newlyweds make love for proof that it was consumated. 

No one is watching us do our thang!! haha but i like the idea of a garter and the garter toss, i think its sexy!  And to me i guess it means they are about to go have sex as its one of the last things you do at a reception.   idono??  im doing it though! 
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's one of the more overtly sexual things about a wedding.  Sexuality is important in a marriage, and I think we've gotten so prudish we ignore it.  I guess I just think it's healthy sexual expression.

Also, I like my legs.  They're pretty.  Why not show them off?
  • Options
    Tradition I guess. And yes, I have good legs, too.
  • Options
    bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    Stage, I like that a lot.  That's a nice reason to wear a garter.

I don't think that we've gotten prudish  - as more people have engaged in sexual conduct prior to marriage.  Perhaps it's being ignored more and more because the sexual implication symbolized by the garter it's just assumed.

So, the garter is for him?  You?  Your guests?
  • Options
    I'm wearing a garter because of tradition, and because I do think it's sort of sexy.  We're doing the garter toss, but it's not going to be the traditional toss, where I sit on a chair and he pulls the garter from under my skirt (FI is very shy).  There's a balcony with two windows overlooking the ballroom, and we're going to go into the balcony, I'm going to take off my garter and hand it to him, and he's going to fling it from the window. 

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I am wearing one because of tradition as well and because it is sexy.  But I also am wearing one because my FI's sister is going to let me wear the one that she wore at her wedding and that their mom wore at her wedding.  This really means a lot to me because I never got to meet my Fi's mom.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• Options
    Debating whether or not to wear one. Definitely not doing the toss.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I don't think that's how we've gotten prudish about those things in general so much as we've gotten prudish about associating those things with marriage.  (Perhaps because we're less prudish elsewhere, and we're trying to shelter marriage from  those things, if that makes sense.)
  • Options
    I don't care one way or another, but FI really wants me to wear one and to do the garter toss.  I got a custom-made one (very reasonably priced) in red, yellow, and blue (the colors of the Ecuadorian flag where FI is from) and it has a soccer ball charm on it (since FI is a huge soccer fan). 
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely not wearing one.  I don't really know what they are for.

Would NEVER do the garter toss.  I've never seen it done tastefully.  Strikes me as a very immature thing.  Maybe if I was 22 it would seem more fun, but at 31 it just seems silly and inappropriate.

And no, I'm not a prude.  :)

We're not doing the bouquet toss either.  After a certain age, single women don't like being singled out anymore.
  • Options
    I'm not wearing one.  I hate the tradition of the garter and bouquet toss.  Perhaps it's from being the bitter single woman at too many weddings in the past, but I don't know anyone who actually looks forward to catching those things.  Besides, I only have a handful of single friends, so it would just be awkward.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    APW2010APW2010 member
    First Comment
    My mom is making me one in our wedding colours. I don't know how the toss will go, since we have very few singles attending, but FI loves a bit of a show and we tease constantly so he can't wait to take it off... I'm pretty sure he'll do it with his teeth! Anyway, it is my opportunity to show off my shoes ;)
  • Options
    For me, I wanted to wear one because I wanted to link me and FI into a clothing item. So I absolutely love, love, love, love love pink. And pink is not a wedding color. So I wanted something pink (and not my shoes). So I figured I'd do a pink garter with something relating to the military so it was for both of us.

Yes, we're doing the garter toss as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I bought a really cute blue one to wear as my something blue. We aren't doing the toss though. I think it is just silly.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_wearing-did-wear-garter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:d920b6bb-0cf4-4713-92ce-44703bd98923Post:fc870dd1-9d43-493d-8e20-48d762c53795">Re: Why are you wearing (or why did you wear) a garter?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I suppose the only reason I'm wearing a garter is for tradition, just like I'll do the old, new, borrowed, blue.  But I'm stopping the tradition short of the garter toss.  We aren't doing a bouquet or garter toss.  Also, I think its kinda sexy :)
    Posted by christen80[/QUOTE]

Ditto!
    Anniversary
  • Options

I found some awesome material to make a garter from, it'll be less froofy and more sexy. I'm doing it for me because it's sexy and playful. Still debating the garter/bouquet toss. Part of me thinks its out dated and can be tacky, but the other part of me wants everyone to see how cute my garter is!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We aren't doing the garter toss or a bouquet toss because we have very few single people invited to our wedding. Plus I don't like the idea of embarassing people. I'm not wearing a garter because I don't see the need for one. I'm not  one that does things just because it's tradition. Plus with my chicken legs I'm afraid it will slide right off when I'm walking down the aisle or something.
    Photobucket
  • Options
      this is what i found on the net:History of the Wedding Garter
    1. The history of the wedding garter is a bit bizarre. The tradition was that the bride and groom were expected to consummate their marriage on their wedding night. To ensure it was done, some of the wedding attendees would follow the couple into their room to be witnesses. Those witnessing the consummation would take the garter from the bride and bring it out to show the others at the wedding as proof of the marriage consummation. It eventually became a tradition to gather the undergarments of the bride and groom for good luck. History says the battle over the undergarments could get a little violent sometimes, as many wedding attendants wanted to have the good luck souvenirs from the bride and groom.

Today's Garter Purposes
    1. Today, the bride generally sits on a chair and the groom retrieves the garter and tosses it to the single men attending the wedding. This signifies the historical aspect of the garter, but keeps wedding-goers out of the room when the couple consummates the marriage. Like the historical aspect of the garter, the one who catches the garter is said to have good luck.
  • Options
    I plan on wearing one mostly because FI thinks it's sexy (I know, TMI) but also because when we were looking for photographers I saw some pictures where the bride and groom were kissing and he had pulled her dress up to wear you could see the garter...I'm not doing boudoir pictures but I must get this picture! However, I refuse to do the garter toss....
  • Options
    misscarolb, any chance you could post that picture? sounds like it could be cute but all i can think of is this shot

http://wedinator.com/2010/03/06/funny-wedding-photos-tilt-inwards-tilt/#comments

which is not cute.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    shinxyshinxy member
    First Comment
    I'll wear a garter, I think it's fun and I want to either find one that's Air Force related or make my own :) (I have all sorts of military bits and bobs I've collected over the years that I could add).

I'm drawing the line at the garter toss, though. It's really, really not my thing. It's not that I'm prudish, I just think that nobody needs to see that. I don't want my relatives thinking about me having sex, and I also don't want my lingerie being given away to some single dude who I probably don't even know. Seems a little creepy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards