California-Northern

Backyard Wedding?

My parents have a beautifully landscaped home in Wilton and I'm tempted to try and save money by having our wedding there. But I've read that sometimes that can end up costing MORE with all the rentals. And I'm worry about having to set up all up ourselves.

Has anyone here had a backyard wedding? What were your pro's and con's and would you do it again?

Any input would be appreciated!

Re: Backyard Wedding?

• olywillisolywillis member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We considered it as well but we would have to do some landscaping and such. Also with the rentals of everything, it just was not cost effective either. As for the liability, you can purchase insurance (our home owner's policy would cover it for a little extra) in case someone got in an accident. There would also be a parking issue though as I would not want all the guests worrying about where to park in the neighborhood.
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing it.  It isn't so bad if you have a caterer who does the rentals for you.

We didn't do it because it would be cheaper, we just wanted a more intimate feel and we didn't want to be "kicked out" of a venue after 10pm.  Additionally, there are no required vendors or restrictions.

Yes, there are a few extra hassels like getting a noise permit from your city, but I think it is worth it.  Get an estimate from a caterer who includes rentals.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone so far for the feedback! 

I should have mentioned that Wilton is really rural area. My parents house is on 5 acres so things like parking and noise won't really be a problem. 

I think I'm more concerned about the setting up and organizing aspect of it. Though it's only 75 people so maybe set up won't be too bad?
  • edited December 2011
    i think it works as long as you have a DOC to take care of all the set up
  • jml452jml452 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are still think about it...I am doing a backyard wedding for multiple reasons....
    *My friend is letting me use his beautiful property at no cost.
    *It is a nice intimite setting, no out side guests walking by (like if we got married at a hotel venue) or needing to worry about time.
    *I get to do my original idea of a BBQ reception (most venues I looked at, didn't have accomidations for one)
    *I am looking at needed to rent tables, chairs, etc but found that my local church is willing to let me borrow theirs. (I will be giving a small donation to them as a thank you)
    *I am looking at hiring a wedding cordinator to help with the day of set up (flowers delivery, catering set up in right area) so I will not have to worry about it...and will be asking a few friends to help the day before get the tables and chair in place.
    *Down fall is I dont have a back up if it rains (however in early September, Sacrmaneto) It's not likely to rain. I will be renting tents or unbrellas to help create some shade and are the cover if needed from rain.
    Hope this helps.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi!

Are your parents interested in renting out their backyard for another wedding?! I am looking for a rural venue for my summer wedding next year!  If so would you mind emailing me at terajeanb@comcast.net

Thanks!!!
  • msalvadormsalvador member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are also planning a wedding in Wilton at his parents house. We haven't started looking into catering and rentals yet, but if I'll let you know if I find anything good.

Happy Wilton Wedding!
  • Does anybody know of someone that would be willing to rent their backyard/house out to me for the weekend in Sacramento area?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards