Flowers

question about DIY flowers

Hi, my BM and I are doing our own flowers, so we are going to buy stems and put them together either the day of. Has anyone ever done this before? Any suggestions on flowers to use/not to use? And is it better to do them the day before or the day of? TIA! Smile

Re: question about DIY flowers

• edited December 2011
    Hi, I'm also thinking about DIY flowers and was considering using WholeBlossoms.com If anyone has any reviews on their experience, I'd appreciate it!
    Leah
  • gaharvardgaharvard member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi. I have done bouquets for brides and attendants the day of but if you are doing your own I highly recommend doing them the day before, putting the stems in water in a regrigerator, and adding the ribbon the day of. You want to reduce your workload and stress the day of!
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I agree with the previous poster don't do them the day of. I was a bridesmaid in a wedding last summer, and most of the bridesmaids along with the bride got together after the rehearsal dinner and did them then. They turned out absolutely beautiful and no one would have ever thought we did them.
  • dancr214dancr214 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Flowers that hold up well are going to be best to use.  In my experience flowers that hold up best are gerber daisies, roses, mini calla lilies and regular calla lilies, hypericum berries, and carnations (that is all I can think of right now).  Hydrangeas DO NOT hold up well.  If you like a certain flower I would just google it and see what others say (if they hold up or not).  Hope that helps a little!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm planning to do DIY flowers as well (most likely from Sam's Club as I've heard rave reviews both on the Knot and from friends).  We're planning to do them the day before to reduce the amount of stress on the day of. We're doing all white flowers so we're sticking to the basics with roses, carnations lillies and tulips.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

DIY flowers aren't hard, but they are time consuming and take a little practice.  Don't wait until the day before your wedding, when you are already busy and stressed, to learn how to do them. 

Plan on spending twice as much time as you think you will need, and have all the right supplies on hand.  You might want to do a few trial runs well in advance.  I sometimes find flowers on sale, or ones that are about to "expire" that are marked down. 

I have a lot of floral experience, but I allow ALL day to do wedding flowers.  The last wedding I did flowers for took me about 20 hours of labor.  It was 9 bouquets, 5 corsages, 13 bouts, and one arrangement.  Then about 2 hours pre ceremony to use the leftover flowers for additional table decorations, and an extra arrangement.

• edited December 2011
    Something else to consider is doing silk flowers. If you aren't opposed to using those, you might want to go that route for DIY flowers. You can do them way ahead of time, then store them somewhere where they won't get all dusty. Depending on how much stuff you are leaving for the day before, you might not have time to do flowers, too.

If I was going for DIY flowers (which I still might) then I would definitely do silk. I will be busy up until the last minute, and if that's something I can get done in advance, then it's one more thing done before the big day. I want to have as much done as possible ahead of time so I can relax and enjoy my big day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the advice girls!

Just to keep y'all up to date, I did decide to go with fake flowers for all of the boutonnieres and corsages and am making those all ahead of time. I got all of my flowers on sale at Jo-Anns and Michaels and they have a lot of floral-making supplies.

I looked up my directions on how to make these on youtube and they have some pretty good videos! After a few tries, I got them right, they look awesome and nobody can even tell they are fake.

As far as the actual bouquets, I am ordering mine from a florist, but the rest of my bridesmaids will all make their own. The flowers are coming in bulk, and after the rehearsal dinner my MOH and I will show the bridesmaids how to do it. I'm sending them videos beforehand so it's not so daunting, but they are all hand-tied anyway and super-simple (cream roses).

My MOH is helping me do them...she agrees with me that there is a lot more personalization that you can do when you make your own arrangements. I have a vintage theme going on, so I have pearl bead sprays and pearl pins for the flowers and am using lace on all of the arrangements.

Good luck everyone and thanks so much for the advice. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards