October 2013 Weddings

Bridesmaid Dress Guidance?

Hey ladies, was hoping i could get some incite for other opinions.  First of all, would you get your BMs dresses before yours?  I've been told that their dresses should compliment mine but I don't know what I even want for sure.  

It's not that I want the girls (5 of them including my MoH)to buy their dresses this second but I'd like to have them start looking.  I have a few thoughts but I'm not sure how good they are.

My first thought was to just do a gradient in the same dress, which means I have to find a long dress that looks good on all of them.  I was thinking of it looking something like this:
(This isn't for certain the dress I'd want for them/or me but just a set up so that I could see the gradient.)  

But I also like the idea of just any style/color as long as my MoH is in the darkest color (found on Pinterest):

I really want to start doing my flowers (I'm doing fake because I think that they're nice mementos) but I feel like I need to know a jist of their dresses before I do that.  

I feel so lost!  Anyone have any thoughts?   Should I forgo the gradient and just have them focus on one color and any style?  I love the idea of the gradient so much, but I feel like my vision is just getting murkier and murkier.  
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridesmaid Dress Guidance?

• I picked my dress. Then started looking at BM dresses. My 4 girls have different styles and extremely different shapes. The dresses have to be long since we're doing an evening very formal wedding. I picked a dessy dress in my color of the wedding colors. Suprisingly all the girls really like this dress for different reasons, and I think its going to work well with all their shapes and be reusable to boot! I really thought finding these dresses was going to be a super big pima and had no intentions of sending the girls a list of dresses till january, till i showed one girl the one we chose, and she oooed and ahhhhed. then another said she wanted 5 of them, then the 3rd who hates dresses loved it, and  finally I showed the 4th and she loved it too. Made my situation pretty easy, but I had rigorous particulars in choosing the dress.

1. Had to be floor length
    2. Had to work on multiple figure types and come in a variety of sizes
    3. Had to not look like a bridesmaids dress but more of a simple evening gown so that it could be reused since im using a nutral dark purple

DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Thanks for responding.  

I just don't know how long to hold off. I would love to be able to get their dresses done this fall so that I can work on coordinating their bouquets to match all of their colors, but I don't want them to feel like I'm rushing them too much.  Plus, a lot can happen in a year.  Like what if one of them becoems pregnant and can no longer fit in their dress? I would also love for them to be able to all buy dresses they can rewear, so less DB and more of a department store thing-but if I go that route they can't pick out the dress this fall and get it sized later because the store might stop carrying it.  

MInd sharing what your good fortune looks like?  Maybe it will work for my girls since I have some varrying body types as well.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I found my flowers/colors first.

Here are our flowers, minus the leaves and white things but add peacock feathers.  

They are dark violet and light pink. The dresses im looking at are these: http://www.jordanfashions.com/122 the dress would be peacock and the lace ivory.

My dress is champagne otherwise the bm dresses would be light pink.

• If you really like the gradient I would vote for the same or similar styles, just so that they wouldn't look completely like any other guests. I don't think it's necessary to pick your dress before theirs if complimenting styles isn's a priority for you (I actually want theirs to look completely different from mine), but it helps to at least have an idea of the kinds of things you want for your dress. Also when doing flowers I saw some good advice that said to make sure their flowers aren't mostly the same color as their dresses because then they would kind of blend in to each other, and that would be particularly important to keep in mind if you're doing all different colors of dresses
  • Stina, both the flowers and dress are beautiful!!!

eelya, thanks!.  That's kind of what I disliked about the second picture, they don't look nearly as formal or like a "Wedding Party" to me.  
    As for flowers, I think since I'm doing a gradient that all of the bouquets will have one main color to tie them together, but they might have individual colors within to compliment the dress better.  
    Now I'm just working on finding something really complimentary.  

By the way, all of you ladies are lovely.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Okay, so I've been tossing the idea around. And now I'm not so sure about the vibrant gradient.  Any thoughts on just doing various browns? 

These aren't the dresses I'm looking at for certain (but I know they look good on multiple size/shapes). But it's one of the examples that DB had that was long and came in plenty of colors so that I could visualize better.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards