Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Ferrante's Lakeview - Greensburg

Hi all,

I'm getting married in 3 weeks but I wanted to post this now because it's not really about the actual wedding day just crappy things I don't like and want to warn other brides in the area about.  I'll post a full vendor review of the day of later.

We booked Lakeview because we didn't want our guests to travel much (most of FI's family is from MI where we are now) and at the time we booked there really wasn't anything in Greensburg that gave us what we wanted for what we felt to be a reasonable price for what was offered.  FI didn't want a firehall wedding and some of the other places we went too were more worn than Lakeview and more expensive.

A few things about Lakeview that will make this post make more sense.  Their package prices include an open bar, they offer buffets or sit down options, and they let you bring in your own cookies and cake.

First, they do not have vendor meals.  They let you choose one of your two meal options (if you're having sit down) for your vendors and don't offer a discount on those even though the vendors aren't going to drink alcohol.  (Well, at least I hope they don't)

Second, they do not give you a discount on those under 21.  They do offer a child's meal but that is only for those under 10 years of age.  When I asked why they said because their costs are spread out over all the meals and the discount is included that way.  Didn't make sense at all.

Third, they do not allow you to bring in outside linens of any kind.  They charge $5 for a chair cover and $3 for a half chair cover. They claim this is because they order the linens specifically for your event.  I'm not sure if this is pretty common but I found it outrageous since I can BUY them myself for around $2 a cover for a full cover.  I also wanted to bring in colored table overlays just for accents and wouldn't allow me to do that.

Fourth, they only give you 5 hours.  Period.  You have to be out after that 5 hours is up unless you close the bar.  But for every hour you close the bar it's an extra $2 a person!  They make you pay for not having something which is ridiculous to me.

If it wasn't so close to my wedding I'd be out of there.  I didn't think to ask a lot of these questions at the time of signing the contract.  Now I wish we'd gone with something a bit more expensive that might have worked with us better.  I don't want other brides to get into this situation so thought I'd post.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary

Re: Ferrante's Lakeview - Greensburg

• cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    This really doesnt seem that bad....

I fed my vendors the same meals as guests, it wasn't THAT bad of a price once they cut out the bar.    The other things are relatively typical of venues and while inconvenient, isn't a reason to slam a venue.

Sorry you're unhappy, but yeah, you should have done your research before booking the place.
  • edited June 2012
    some other gals might not know to look into those things either, esp if the vendors aren't particularly forthcoming about the info. so im sure someone down the road will be happy to find this post.

and, well, i'm sure you just needed to vent a little!!  I know I do quite often!

good luck !
  • I am from the Greensburg area and I know from personal experience ( wedding and baby showers) that Lakeview can be difficult to deal with. I am sorry that you had such a difficult time with them.

I also understand that you just needed to vent. I believe that is what we are here for, a support system! Try to stay positive and I am sure you will have a lovely day!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    September 2013 Siggy Challenge: Bouquet Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited June 2012
    Oh I'm not saying it's terrible I just want others to be aware of it.  Definitely it's a bit of a vent.  So far the ladies have been very nice and I haven't really had many problems planning with them at all.  Just some frustrations about different things that I thought others might want to be aware of or think of before booking.

Question though, it's normal to be charged for alcohol for vendors and those under 21?  I mean significantly under 21, like my 13 y/o sister and 15 y/o cousin, not my 18 y/o brother who looks like he could be 21. I would just think that they would have a separate meal price for this.
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    <div>IT's hard for a vendor to know that  someone is under 21 and shouldn't be charged for a bar.  How do you prove you had X number of under 21 guests- have them all bring ID the day of?  I dont know how common it is but a few venues we looked at had nothing special for under 21 yo guests.</div><div>
    </div><div>No problem with venting, but I dont think it's great to call out 1 venue for things that might be typical of a few venues (which was my point in the earlier post).</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_ferrantes-lakeview-greensburg-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:c461d4c5-38cd-49a2-a5c3-2c181aa57279Post:2fae2bcf-68f1-4fbe-9225-50285b8d56ef">Re: Ferrante's Lakeview - Greensburg</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh I'm not saying it's terrible I just want others to be aware of it.  Definitely it's a bit of a vent.  So far the ladies have been very nice and I haven't really had many problems planning with them at all.  Just some frustrations about different things that I thought others might want to be aware of or think of before booking. Question though, it's normal to be charged for alcohol for vendors and those under 21?  I mean significantly under 21, like my 13 y/o sister and 15 y/o cousin, not my 18 y/o brother who looks like he could be 21. I would just think that they would have a separate meal price for this.
    Posted by honeybear072012[/QUOTE]
  • I think the charging for bar closing is a little weird and I would be upset about not being allowed to use your own overlays, but I guess other venues do require you to only use their linens too. I think that is a shame in general. Variety and creativity is part of what makes weddings interesting and beautiful to me at least! But I guess we dont understand all of these things and it's hard to without being in the business. But what I think is that this day is about you, your FI, and those you love. Don't let all these annoyances crush your spirit and get in the way of you enjoying this time remember you only do it once! I'm sure if you renember back when you booked this venue you had good reasons to do so and I'm sure some of them remain. Try to think back to that time and why this place was special to you. But thanks for sharing. Im sure it'll be helpful to someone. All vendors have good and bad things. We just gotta keep all in perspective!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_ferrantes-lakeview-greensburg-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:c461d4c5-38cd-49a2-a5c3-2c181aa57279Post:680932d2-383a-4db0-ad5d-543a7368e898">Re: Ferrante's Lakeview - Greensburg</a>:
    [QUOTE]IT's hard for a vendor to know that  someone is under 21 and shouldn't be charged for a bar.  How do you prove you had X number of under 21 guests- have them all bring ID the day of?  I dont know how common it is but a few venues we looked at had nothing special for under 21 yo guests. No problem with venting, but I dont think it's great to call out 1 venue for things that might be typical of a few venues (which was my point in the earlier post). In Response to Re: Ferrante's Lakeview - Greensburg :
    Posted by mdphd[/QUOTE]

Yeah I get that but when I can't get my 13 y/o sister a kid's meal but also can't get her a discounted adult meal since she definitely won't be drinking and you can tell she's under 21, I find it very frustrating that's all.  It's all money making for all the venues so that's probably why they don't do it.  I just think it's wrong in general and something those with a lot of guests this age should think about.
  • Just relax, and make it the best day possible.  Nothing you can do to change it right now but I am sure your post will help others when they consider this place in the future.  Best of luck to you and your soon to be hubby!!!
  • I assume that places that have weird rules have them for a reason.  I bet people have tried to rip them off in the past and that is why they are so stringent with the rules.  Unfortunately a few bad apples ruin the bunch.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was curious what other vendors you are paying for? I am considering Lakeview. I understand the deejay but what other vendors do you have to pay meals for?
  • I was curious what other vendors you are paying for? I am considering Lakeview. I understand the deejay but what other vendors do you have to pay meals for?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards