Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Just beer and wine vs. Liquor @ bar

Hey everyone! I've been reading these boards a lot but this is my first post. Just beginning planning-- our wedding is in July 2012 and our engagement is over 2 years long.

I'm trying to cut costs in ways that keep my wedding classy. I thought that I could kill two birds with one stone by keeping our open bar just beer and wine instead of having a full open bar with liquor too. A lot of our friends are big drinkers, but we aren't...I'd like to avoid a big shitshow at all costs. What are peoples thoughts/suggestions?

Also, would this work well for the cocktail hour too? Or would you have to serve liquor during that?
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Just beer and wine vs. Liquor @ bar

• Options
    Serving just beer and wine are fine...serve what you can afford. Your guests will appreciate the fact that there is a limited selection as opposed to none , or cash bar. Also, cocktail hour doesn't necessarily have to have cocktails, so don't worry about that.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    Serve what you can afford or just whatever you want.  If you only want to serve beer and wine, then serve beer and wine, but don't have a cash bar with liquor to go along with it.  If you'd also like to serve mixed drinks, then you will need to pay for those.
  • Options
    Beer and wine are just fine. Even for the cocktail hour.

BTW - people still get drunk off of beer and wine, actually I know people who get more druink off of wine than liquor.  Not that I think you need to add liquor, but don't think not serving liquor is going to keep someone from getting drunk.  If someone wants to get drunk they will with whatever is offered.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    beer and wine is great-just make sure they're good ones :)
    also though-I'd consider addign 2 or 3 specialty drinks for those who don't tolerate wine well (high acidity) or beer. perhaps a vodka and sprite or OJ, rum and coke etc... simple ones that can be mixed easily but that will give an option.

• Options
    thanks, ladies! I like all of your suggestions. I guess I'll talk to the parents about it and see what they say.
  • Options
    We decided to do the same for our wedding. We decided to have a full open bar for the cocktail hour and then for the reception it is just beer and wine. It's a big money saver, and we think it's worth it. If you are paying for the reception like we are it makes sense, and remember it is your decision, especially if you are paying for it.
  • Options

Where I am getting married, they allow me to provide my own bartender, and I can bring my own alcohol... so I found a bartender for two hundred dollars (4 hours) and I am providing the alcohol for them. I am getting a keg of beer (about 80 dollars where in Texas) and then we got a margarita machine (two sides 150, though our place provides one, but just for your referance) and then we are going to have cranberry and vodka for one side and the other will be margaritas (for 150 ppl around 500 dollars). We are only allowing these selected few, do what you think they would like, and what you can afford, they will appreciateanything that is there, good luck!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_just-beer-wine-vs-liquor-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:9cc83a6f-efc9-490d-8a05-f20d5795edeePost:0bbdeacc-52a1-4340-b1c4-24af26725f2b">Re: Just beer and wine vs. Liquor @ bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]We decided to do the same for our wedding. We decided to have a full open bar for the cocktail hour and then for the reception it is just beer and wine. It's a big money saver, and we think it's worth it. If you are paying for the reception like we are it makes sense, and remember it is your decision, especially if you are paying for it.
    Posted by gabrowlands[/QUOTE]

I am glad you mentioned this because I was JUST thinking that! I'm going to see if my venue will allow me to do that. Thanks!
  • Options
    If you're worried about people wanting more than just beer and wine, but don't want to splurge on an open bar, you could always do beer, wine and a signature cocktail.  It adds a little more variety without breaking the bank.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options

My fiance and I are in this same situation. We and my parents want to provide our guests with a paid for bar, but as most brides do, we have a budget, and need to find creative ways to cut costs. Is it tacky to offer a full open bar during cocktail hour and then an open beer/wine for the rest of the night and if guests want a liquor, they would pay for it? We could in a classy way during cocktail hour spread the word to let our guests know that for the rest of the night, we would take care of the beer/wine.

Thoughts? I hate to just not offer liquor at all. Some people don't like beer or wine. Personally I would rather drink a vodka soda than beer/wine if I'm going to be doing a lot of dancing (and I don't plan on getting wasted) :)

• Options
    my friend did open, till the amount they paid went out, and ppl didnt complain, and the for sure kept buying. I would say do what you are comfortable doing, and how you think your guest would react.
  • Options
    We provided the alcohol for our bar, and liquor was actually less expensive per drink than wine or beer.  If people want to get drunk, they will get drunk whether it's beer or liquor.  But we did request that shots and double strength drinks not be served in order to keep the liquor from going too quickly.

I do think that options offered for the cocktail hour should be offered for the duration of the reception.  It's confusing to go back to the bar and bet told that you can't have a second rum and coke.  Some people do close the bar during dinner hour and for the last 15-60 minutes of the reception, which can save money.
  • Options
    We are doing something similar.  Beer, wine and then a specialty cocktail (vodka gimlet) instead of a full liquor bar.  We are paying a little extra to upgrade the beer choices (future hubby is a beer geek) and get some microbrews.  We are also having carafes of wine passed by servers during the reception (we are having a cocktail reception) which ends up being cheaper than if they order at the bar. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards