Iowa-Des Moines

WARNING - Be Weary of this WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER

Hey Knotties!  I just wanted to provide some helpful advice from a new bride.  My husband and I got married this past August and hired Caleb Jamin Photography out of Ames, IA to take our pictures and have had a NEGATIVE experience.  When we hired Caleb, we purchased his Package #3 which included a "custom 8x10 photo" and a "custom leather album with hardbound pages 20 spreads" for a package total of $2,695.00.  Since our photos were taken on August 21, 2010, I have attempted to contact him on many occasions and have not received any communication from him as to how I should go about obtaining this 8x10 photo and leather hardbound album.  Based on the package information he gave us prior to hiring him, there is a $300 price difference between the package we ordered with the 8x10 photo and leather hardbound album and the package that does not include those items.  

PLEASE Knotties - be weary and use precaution with this wedding photographer.  I would hate to see any other bride be taken advantage of like I was!

Re: WARNING - Be Weary of this WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER

• medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the information! I am so sorry you haven't gotten the items you paid for, did you get any of your pictures back?
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • edited December 2011
    Do you have a copy of your contract with him?  I'd highly recommend contacting BBB and filing a small claim on him.  Wow :-/
  • edited December 2011
    Oh wow, I've seen his work and that's a bummer he hasn't come through! Contact the Better Business Bureau for sure! Any way you can contact any other brides who have used him? Any people who may know him personally? I would be hunting him down! I just tried to see if there was a Facebook page for the company, and there is but very small it seems - 4 friends. Have you tried that at all?
    Good luck!!!
  • uhlenkampuhlenkamp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pharmer22,
    We did get the cd, but that was it.  He hasn't responded to us and he never posted our book on-line.  As of now, our product is no longer online.  I've tried emailing him and calling him hundreds of times, as well as tried stopping by his studio.  I admit, his assistant Aaron was fantastic at taking pictures on our wedding day, but services since we gave Caleb the check have been dissmal.  Good to hear that at least someone got good service from them, but I've heard that the situation I'm in is not uncommon amongst other brides.  I've tried contacting the Better Business Bureau.  Unfortunatly, they are not a legal entity and thus have no power when Caleb failed to respond to them.  The next step I have to get my paid products is to file a small court claim, and I'd really like to try to avoid having to do that.  However, if Caleb isn't responding to my hundreds of messages, the only other way I can think to get his attention to complete my contract is by posting coments on theknot and Facebook - places I'm hopeful he will check.  If he continues to avoid me, I fear come fall, I may have to take legal matters just to get the products I paid for.  If he would just follow through with our contract, I would otherwise love to recommend him, because otherwise, we were very happy with our pictures.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pharmer 22,

Yes, we did contact Aaron and he is no longer working for Caleb.  He text messaged me and specifically said: "I have left Caleb to start my own studio. I have been gone since november last year and have to connection with him anymore to help you out. I've gotten numerous calls from past brides about stuff and Unfortunately I am helpless to the situation. I am sorry for that, and just wanted to let you know I would help if I could. I don't know why you can't get ahold of him and know that I would do anything to help you. Thanks, Aaron.
    I can't even get ahold of him for past things as well. Sorry."  I know you like Caleb, and my intentions by my posting were not to advise Knotties not to use Caleb's services, but just to be weary of him since as of this past year, it appears that Caleb has not been sufficient in following through on his contractual agreements. 
  • kholle13kholle13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What a nightmare! I hope everything works out. Does the Aaron you were referring to now have Eloquent Photography?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kholle13,
    The Aaron I was referring to, actually now owns Aaron Borchers Studio out of Des Moines.  He was the primary photographer for our engagement pictures and wedding pictures and did a fantastic job - we were very impressed with his work and his professionalism.  Unfortunatly, at the time of our wedding, he was working for Caleb Jamin and has no control over Caleb getting our paid products to us.  Thank you for your support, I'm running out of energy trying to get ahold of Caleb.
  • 2beMrs.Rath2beMrs.Rath member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just wanted to post that I used Caleb for my wedding as well.  He was nothing but professional.  It took a little longer to get our book but that was my fault. 
    I'm sorry you have had difficulty getting in touch with him. 
    Have you tried stopping by his studio?
  • I've posted a full review of our experience with Aaron on Angie's List.  My husband and I had a small wedding ceremony followed by a wedding dinner, and our big wedding reception was approximately one month later.  We are disappointed we chose Aaron Borchers of Aaron Borchers Studio of Ankeny, Iowa to photograph our wedding day.  There are several reasons why, and it's all detailed in my lengthy review.  It will be on Angie's List and a review of Aaron Borchers Studio.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards