Attire & Accessories Forum

Am I being sappy, or...?

I've kind of always assumed I would take my mom wedding dress shopping with me.  I'm an only child and we were super close when I was a kid... but now I live across the country from her and we only get 2-3 visits each year because plane tickets are so expensive.  Also, since my mom isn't in the best of financial situations the cost of the tickets usually falls on me regardless of who visits whom.
Now that I'm engaged and actually looking for dresses, I'm starting to see the virtues of purchasing a used or sample dress from OnceWed or a similar site -- the $$ saved could go a long way toward paying for other aspects of the wedding, OR for my mom's travel expenses when she comes out here for the actual event!  So my question is, do you think I will look back and regret not going dress shopping with my mom in order to save a few hundred dollars? 
Thanks!
So far, being a Gray is pretty awesome. image

Re: Am I being sappy, or...?

• direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2011
    You should still try on dresses to make sure you get the right one for your figure, so you can still go dress shopping with your mom.

Edit - just re-read your post and saw that you live apart - do you have any trips planned to see your mom so you can look at dresses?
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Sure I will try some dresses on, but... what about actually being in the same place as my mom?  She's 2400 miles away and it will cost at least $300 to fly her here!
  • direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    That's why I added the edit in my original post - I'm an only child as well and I would have totally regretted not being able to shop with my mom, and I know she would have felt the same way.  Can you guys meet in the middle?  My mom also lives half way across the country from me - we ended up taking a mother daughter trip to Vegas and went dress shopping there...
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Aw, fun!  I might be able to go home to see her at some point... a bunch of my friends are having babies this year and those are always a good excuse to visit people. =) Nothing planned so far, but I suppose that could change. 
  • Im not that close to my mom so shoping for dresses with her was never an issue.  However, perhaps you two can look on the same designer web sites and together pick out some styles that she likes.  It won't be the same, but it will still allow you to get her imput.
  • I live apart from my mom, we got engaged in Oct 10 I refused to try dresses on without my mom here, she came to NZ for Christmas and in the 10days she had and with Christmas in the middle we went dress shopping and found 'the' dress! I would not have done it any other way. Even if you dont' buy the dress you find with her, I do think it's important. I also know it was VERY important to her, my sister lived an hour from my mom and went shopping with a friend bought her dress then asked my mom to come for a fitting, my mom was really hurt. I should note my moms trip was planned as a gift from all of her kids, but it turned into a shopping adventure for us.

If you spend the money to fly her out then start looking online at the sites that will save you and find stores with the dresses you like where you can try them on.

• vexievexie member
    First Comment
    I wonder if any of the bridal stores have wi-fi capabiities?  If so, you might be able to bring along a laptop and skype you trying on dresses so she can watch and give her feedback?  Not sure if it's possible but how fmuch fun would that be?
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • I have a daughter and I know I would be a little disappointed if I couldn't go wedding dress shopping with her.  I know that the situation is hard but even if I were in the same situation I would still be disappointed.  Maybe not disappointed with her but in the fact that I couldn't afford to be there with her.

Maybe you could go with a BM and that person could take pictures, then send them to your mom so she can see them on you.  If I couldn't be with my daughter I'd still appreciate seeing pictures and her asking my opinion.

Just some options for you. 

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards