Military Brides

In need of a Back Up Plan :)

It took us months to find a date that worked. We picked Memorial Day Wknd and hoped for the best.

FI is now doing some follow on training and is hoping he can work/train a couple Saturdays to make it home for the wedding. However, he wont be able to book his flights until the week of (perhaps the week before) and has to fly in the day before the wedding.

I need to brainstorm some back up plans if he has flight problems. He will be flying out from a small airport that only has 1 flight to our location or hub per day. Meaning he may be stuck flying in the day of the wedding and still 1.5 hr drive from the airport. I'm nervous but really I can't do crap about it, so now I am trying to plan for Worst Case Scenarios. :)

The latest we can have the ceremony is 2pm so that we are stuck with :( We also are kicked out of the church at 4pm for evening mass... we have scheduled our pictures to happen before so I see that being the only place we can get some wiggle room- reschedule/move ... All my vendors were on board for a reschedule if I needed but I never thought to check if pushing back things was an option....

I'm open to any and all suggestions and perhaps some knottie vibes for good weather and working planes May 27th! :)

TIA!

Re: In need of a Back Up Plan :)

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There shouldn't be a problem with pushing the times back at all with your vendors.  They are hired for the day with you, and it's a time that they would already be scheduled to be there.  I could maybe see a problem starting earlier, but not later.  Worst case scenario is he misses the whole thing, which I'm sure you don't even want to think about.  If he misses the whole ceremony time, you can just go on with the reception, and do a JOP ceremony the following week or something.  Obviously you wouldn't be married at your reception then, but at that point you don't really have other options, and you still get to celebrate your soon to be ceremony.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Worst case, how long is the drive?  Or can he drive to another airport within 4 hours or so?  Can he fly into a different airport 4-6 hours away from you?  Then it'd be possible to rent a car and drive.

Don't worry - it'll work out.  If there's any worry of bad weather, call the airline that morning and let them know your future husband is a service member and needs to get home for his wedding.  People move heaven and earth to help out a service member in need.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_need-of-back-up-plan?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:7bb370ff-47ca-4fe4-9aff-fbb5f5e96330Post:1dcf9f8a-4403-4d56-8f23-f8744c4a927c">Re: In need of a Back Up Plan :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Worst case, how long is the drive?  Or can he drive to another airport within 4 hours or so?  Can he fly into a different airport 4-6 hours away from you?  Then it'd be possible to rent a car and drive. Don't worry - it'll work out.  If there's any worry of bad weather, call the airline that morning and let them know your future husband is a service member and needs to get home for his wedding.  People move heaven and earth to help out a service member in need.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

The drive from him to Ceremony is around <strong>16.5 hours
    </strong>The drive to the nearest airport for him is <strong>2.5 hrs</strong> and I think there are two more at <strong>5hrs </strong>from him.
    There are only 2 commercial airports in MN one is <strong>1.5 hrs</strong> from us and another is <strong>3hrs</strong>the closest non MN airport I think is Detroit

Sh!t he is a pilot I say borrow an AF plane and get here LoL However we all know that could end badly for both of us :)

If he misses the ceremony how on earth do I inform our guests to just show up at the Reception? We have invited the Priest and he is in the process of finding a back up for evening mass - so perhaps he could do a blessing/mini ceremony at the reception if need be?
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    edited December 2011
    Yeah if you can work something out so that something on a much smaller scale could be performed at the reception if need be, then that would be great.  As for if you have to tell people the ceremony is changed, I would have both your parents and your FIL's make a few calls, and ask for the word to be spread.  Someone like a dad or sibling could go to the ceremony site to inform any guests who didn't get the word.  Obviously the situation isn't ideal to cancel people last minute, or have people show up, but I don't think anyone would be upset with you knowing the situation.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • bltatabltata member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend actually went to school in Minneapolis and we are from the Detroit area/Southeastern, MI.  She commonly had a layover at Chicago O'Hare, which is still about a 7.5hr drive to St. Paul, but it's definitely closer than Detroit Metro.  Maybe you could see if he has a layover through Chicago and could possibly drive a rental from there if there are flight complications. 

If it's not too intrusive, could you tell us what airport in MN he will be flying into, and what area he will be flying out of?  We might be able to manage some research on some alternatives.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    It'll be okay!  He'll get there!  Planes aren't delayed as much as they were a year ago.  And delayed does not mean he'll miss it - he'll be flying in the day before, so he might miss the rehearsal but not likely the wedding.  If for whatever reason he can't get on a plane the day before, he goes to a rental car place and rents a car and drives 8 hours, sleeps in a hotel, and gets up early and drives the last 8 hours.  He'll be exhausted, but he'll make it!

Anniversary

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure it'll work out! I'll keep my fingers crossed for smooth flight arrangements. Besides, isn't he a pilot? He can just requisition a plane and get to you! ;)
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_need-of-back-up-plan?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:7bb370ff-47ca-4fe4-9aff-fbb5f5e96330Post:0a37a82f-8e87-4a15-aa2f-4c5eef5809ab">Re: In need of a Back Up Plan :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sure it'll work out! I'll keep my fingers crossed for smooth flight arrangements. Besides, <strong>isn't he a pilot?</strong> He can just requisition a plane and get to you! ;)
    Posted by WishIcouldbeinthe'stan[/QUOTE]

He is. I keep tell him to borrow one ;)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice ladies! Sorry it ended up being a P&R because my internet went out at home. So I can only knot at work on breaks! :(

I know it will all work out! It is what it is -- (my new motto)! His mother is more worried than I am. When I talk to her, so always seems to go off, she is Filipino, and when she gets excited she goes from english to tagalog (sp?) and its hilarious.

I will also keep O'Hare in mind (my Dad was originally from Evanston, IL)

I'll keep everyone updated! Almost at the 2 month mark! YAY!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards