North Carolina-Outer Banks

Where to have my ceremony on the beach

Hey yall, I need some advice on a few things...Im getting married in August(on a tues) and we are having the ceremony on the beach. I  dont know where to have it( Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, Nags Head) Do yall know of any spots the arent too crowded? Will I get in trouble for just setting chairs out aand not having a permit? About how much is it to rent some chairs? I only need about 15...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Where to have my ceremony on the beach

• Each town has it's own rules, although I think of those three you can put chairs out without a permit (don't hold me to it, you can probably check out their town websites or find a number on there of someone to contact to ask.) I know a lot of us have gone with Ocean Atlantic rentals for our weddings, the other big one is Metro rentals. They are pretty knowledgable on the rules of where you can put chairs, too, so you may be able to kill two birds with one stone when you call them to rent. Both of their websites list prices for chairs or benches.
    Of those three towns, I'd say that Nags Head tends to be the least busy of the beaches, although depending on time of day, you probably wouldn't have to worry about the beaches being crowded. What time are you planning your ceremony?
  • This is directly from the NagsHead.gov website on chairs:

"Forty chairs are allowed on the beach during the ceremony for the elderly or infirm. Please make sure the chairs do not obstruct access on or across the beach in any way. Chairs must be removed immediately after the ceremony. The number of chairs is limited to 40 to allow for emergency beach vehicle access"

We actually had 80 chairs on the beach, but we were very quick to remove them and we were also married in Nags Head at MP 15...it was also a very overcast day and red flags were posted for No Swimming, so the beach was pretty empty.  The beaches are a lot wider in Nags Head and even more so in S. Nags Head, so I would probably choose one of those locations.

• Thank for the information! Out ceremony is at 5pm and we weill only have about 15-20 people there. I was looking a metro rentals and their prices are really good. What did yall do about music for your ceremony on the beach?I think im going to find a beach in Nags Head.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_where-to-have-my-ceremony-on-the-beach?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:fa7db026-2a0f-42ed-8c9d-932737d942ebPost:65fb3d16-990b-4899-add5-2f167ef82f65">Re: Where to have my ceremony on the beach</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank for the information! Out ceremony is at 5pm and we weill only have about 15-20 people there. I was looking a metro rentals and their prices are really good. What did yall do about music for your ceremony on the beach?I think im going to find a beach in Nags Head.
    Posted by spatton4989[/QUOTE]

We had an Ipod with a Bose docking station and had their not been 40+mph winds, you probably would have been able to hear it a lot better.  I'm sure on a calm & sunny day, that you would be able to hear it much much better though.

• Thanks a good idea, Thanks!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're not having any music (unless we have to move to our receptions site for the ceremony due to icky weather). I love the sound of the beach - that's what I want to hear when I come down the stairs. We're getting married near the Bonnet Street beach access in Nags Head (MP 11ish)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards