Christian Weddings

Are there any more, uh, liberal Bible studies?

I'm not a big fan of Beth Moore or Joyce Meyer.  I find them a bit too "husband is the head of the household, you are to submit to him" for my taste.  I'm not looking to get into a discussion on why I'm wrong with my thought process that H and I are equal in our home, I'm just wondering if there's something less traditional out there for me to try.

Re: Are there any more, uh, liberal Bible studies?

• edited December 2011
    I completely agree with you and I too am pretty liberal when it comes to gender roles. I liked the David study by Beth Moore because it didn't deal at all with gender roles. FI has outlawed any of those studies because I go on too many rants when I do them :)

Have you read Sun Stand Stll by Steven Furtick? I'd suggest that and studying the book of Joshua. It's not a Bible study, but it's SO inspiring and it for sure changed how I approach my spiritual walk. 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the rec, Rebecca.  It's nice to be around people who are either on the same wave length or can be respectful of how H and I approach marriage and decision making in our house.  I know not everyone on this board agrees, but at least no one has told me I'm a bad wife yet!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_there-uh-liberal-bible-studies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e9d6e2e1-57c2-4825-baa2-b2c0db19c78cPost:691d5491-1878-4107-844b-b7306a0f87d0">Re: Are there any more, uh, liberal Bible studies?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the rec, Rebecca.  It's nice to be around people who are either on the same wave length or can be respectful of how H and I approach marriage and decision making in our house.  I know not everyone on this board agrees, but at least no one has told me I'm a bad wife yet!
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]
    I agree with you 100%.  Heck, right now I'm the sole breadwinner in our household, FI BETTER defer to me when making financial decisions, lol.  But really, FI prefers that I wear the pants most of the time, and we usually do things as a team.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_there-uh-liberal-bible-studies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e9d6e2e1-57c2-4825-baa2-b2c0db19c78cPost:d3f53e6c-be45-4705-978d-c92c02bf8317">Are there any more, uh, liberal Bible studies?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not a big fan of Beth Moore or Joyce Meyer.  I find them a bit too "husband is the head of the household, you are to submit to him" for my taste.  I'm not looking to get into a discussion on why I'm wrong with my thought process that H and I are equal in our home, I'm just wondering if there's something less traditional out there for me to try.
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

My H is totally on your team. I was raised in a house that was all "Submit to your husband" 24/7 and so that's what's in my head, but H is seriously like, "Stop asking me for permission. You're a grown woman!!" ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I certainly communicate with DH on most decisions, especially the big ones. But I think we would consider ourselves fairly equal partners as well.
  • jesscattojesscatto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I completely agree with men and women being equal partners in the marriage. Unfortunately I believe the verse that tells women to submit to their husbands is (too) often taken out of context. Yes it does say for wifes to submit to thier husbands, as to the Lord... but it also tells the husband to love thier wifes, as Christ loved the church...putting the playing field back on equal ground (maybe that is just my opinion but I have also learnt this in bible studies). If you want to read on Ephesians 5:21-33.
  • edited December 2011
    Try the guy on laughyourway.com
  • RadDaniCRadDaniC member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_there-uh-liberal-bible-studies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e9d6e2e1-57c2-4825-baa2-b2c0db19c78cPost:09d7c219-ffc7-4211-93ae-0081fe230e48">Re: Are there any more, uh, liberal Bible studies?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I completely agree with men and women being equal partners in the marriage. Unfortunately I believe the verse that tells women to submit to their husbands is (too) often taken out of context. Yes it does say for wifes to submit to thier husbands, as to the Lord... but it also tells the husband to love thier wifes, as Christ loved the church...putting the playing field back on equal ground (maybe that is just my opinion but I have also learnt this in bible studies). If you want to read on Ephesians 5:21-33.
    Posted by jesscatto[/QUOTE]

I've always been told that also.  It also relates to each of our biggest needs as spouses.  Yes, wives want to be respected, but the greatest need is the affirmation of love, and while husbands need that love also, their greatest need is the respect of their beloved.  I believe that's why those two things are specifically brought up in that manner.
  • Please don't think I'm trying to ruffle feathers or anything. I'm just trying to join in the community. I think there is a problem with many forums in that the first mention of someone disagreeing with a topic & all of a sudden they become a victim of some pretty harsh criticism. So having said that, I just want to say that I respectfully disagree. 

There has been quite a bit of incorrect understanding of the word "submit" thoughout the years that has given cruel men "permission" to abuse & control their wives and well-intentioned wives to become victims of abuse & disrespect. However, I thoroughly believe that "submit" does not mean to give up complete independence & have to ask permission for everything. That is not what the Proverbs 31 woman exhibited. I do, however, believe that the man is the head of the house & if he insist on something, even after hearing the wife's opinion, the wife should submit that he is the head & if whatever it is comes to ruin or gain, he is the one to bare that burdeon. It isn't easy, & I may not understand it, but Christ has asked me to submit to authority whether that be my boss, the government, my father, or my husband and I honor Him by submitting to Him & obeying Him in this. Regardless as to if I agree or not, I have to trust that He (God) knows better than I.

I also can't say, "Well, my husband doesn't do what he is supposed to do." I am only responsible for my own actions. My husband will be responsible for his own. 

As far as Bible studies, I'm not a fan of Beth Moore's "experiece" based teachings. And Joyce Meyer is bordering on heresy half the time. Right now I'm listening to Kay Arthur's daily podcasts. There is something that irritates me a bit about her but she teaches inductive study methods which is a wonderful way to study the Bible. Anything by John MacArthur is great too. 

Ok. I hope I didn't just make a ton of enemies. :)
    Anniversary Visit The Nest!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_there-uh-liberal-bible-studies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e9d6e2e1-57c2-4825-baa2-b2c0db19c78cPost:403c1f7b-c2de-466d-8d08-736f208f4c6a">Re: Are there any more, uh, liberal Bible studies?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Please don't think I'm trying to ruffle feathers or anything. I'm just trying to join in the community. I think there is a problem with many forums in that the first mention of someone disagreeing with a topic & all of a sudden they become a victim of some pretty harsh criticism. So having said that, I just want to say that I respectfully disagree.  There has been quite a bit of incorrect understanding of the word "submit" thoughout the years that has given cruel men "permission" to abuse & control their wives and well-intentioned wives to become victims of abuse & disrespect. However, I thoroughly believe that "submit" does not mean to give up complete independence & have to ask permission for everything. That is not what the Proverbs 31 woman exhibited. I do, however, believe that the man is the head of the house & if he insist on something, even after hearing the wife's opinion, the wife should submit that he is the head & if whatever it is comes to ruin or gain, he is the one to bare that burdeon. It isn't easy, & I may not understand it, but Christ has asked me to submit to authority whether that be my boss, the government, my father, or my husband and I honor Him by submitting to Him & obeying Him in this. Regardless as to if I agree or not, I have to trust that He (God) knows better than I. I also can't say, "Well, my husband doesn't do what he is supposed to do." I am only responsible for my own actions. My husband will be responsible for his own.  As far as Bible studies, I'm not a fan of Beth Moore's "experiece" based teachings. And Joyce Meyer is bordering on heresy half the time. Right now I'm listening to Kay Arthur's daily podcasts. There is something that irritates me a bit about her but she teaches inductive study methods which is a wonderful way to study the Bible. Anything by John MacArthur is great too.  Ok. I hope I didn't just make a ton of enemies. :)
    Posted by kristea0337[/QUOTE]

everything you said, you said it perfectly. i afree 100% (except i don't have much experience with meyer or moore). no enemy with me :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_there-uh-liberal-bible-studies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e9d6e2e1-57c2-4825-baa2-b2c0db19c78cPost:403c1f7b-c2de-466d-8d08-736f208f4c6a">Re: Are there any more, uh, liberal Bible studies?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Please don't think I'm trying to ruffle feathers or anything. I'm just trying to join in the community. I think there is a problem with many forums in that the first mention of someone disagreeing with a topic & all of a sudden they become a victim of some pretty harsh criticism. So having said that, I just want to say that I respectfully disagree.  There has been quite a bit of incorrect understanding of the word "submit" thoughout the years that has given cruel men "permission" to abuse & control their wives and well-intentioned wives to become victims of abuse & disrespect. However, I thoroughly believe that "submit" does not mean to give up complete independence & have to ask permission for everything. That is not what the Proverbs 31 woman exhibited. I do, however, believe that the man is the head of the house & if he insist on something, even after hearing the wife's opinion, the wife should submit that he is the head & if whatever it is comes to ruin or gain, he is the one to bare that burdeon. It isn't easy, & I may not understand it, but Christ has asked me to submit to authority whether that be my boss, the government, my father, or my husband and I honor Him by submitting to Him & obeying Him in this. Regardless as to if I agree or not, I have to trust that He (God) knows better than I. I also can't say, "Well, my husband doesn't do what he is supposed to do." I am only responsible for my own actions. My husband will be responsible for his own.  As far as Bible studies, I'm not a fan of Beth Moore's "experiece" based teachings. And Joyce Meyer is bordering on heresy half the time. Right now I'm listening to Kay Arthur's daily podcasts. There is something that irritates me a bit about her but she teaches inductive study methods which is a wonderful way to study the Bible. Anything by John MacArthur is great too.  Ok. I hope I didn't just make a ton of enemies. :)

This was very well said.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_there-uh-liberal-bible-studies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e9d6e2e1-57c2-4825-baa2-b2c0db19c78cPost:403c1f7b-c2de-466d-8d08-736f208f4c6a">Re: Are there any more, uh, liberal Bible studies?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Please don't think I'm trying to ruffle feathers or anything. I'm just trying to join in the community. I think there is a problem with many forums in that the first mention of someone disagreeing with a topic & all of a sudden they become a victim of some pretty harsh criticism. So having said that, I just want to say that I respectfully disagree.  There has been quite a bit of incorrect understanding of the word "submit" thoughout the years that has given cruel men "permission" to abuse & control their wives and well-intentioned wives to become victims of abuse & disrespect. However, I thoroughly believe that "submit" does not mean to give up complete independence & have to ask permission for everything. That is not what the Proverbs 31 woman exhibited.<strong> I do, however, believe that the man is the head of the house & if he insist on something, even after hearing the wife's opinion, the wife should submit that he is the head & if whatever it is comes to ruin or gain, he is the one to bare that burdeon.</strong> It isn't easy, & I may not understand it, but Christ has asked me to submit to authority whether that be my boss, the government, my father, or my husband and I honor Him by submitting to Him & obeying Him in this. Regardless as to if I agree or not, I have to trust that He (God) knows better than I. I also can't say, "Well, my husband doesn't do what he is supposed to do." I am only responsible for my own actions. My husband will be responsible for his own.  As far as Bible studies, I'm not a fan of Beth Moore's "experiece" based teachings. And Joyce Meyer is bordering on heresy half the time. Right now I'm listening to Kay Arthur's daily podcasts. There is something that irritates me a bit about her but she teaches inductive study methods which is a wonderful way to study the Bible. Anything by John MacArthur is great too.  Ok. I hope I didn't just make a ton of enemies. :)

I understand what you're saying, and if your relationship works that way, great.  Mine doesn't and it frustrates me to do a Bible study that tells me to just let my husband decide and that whatever comes will be his to deal with - because it's not true.  Whatever comes will be OURS to deal with, which is why we make decisions together.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards