Kentucky-Louisville
Options

Not from KY, where to start?

I am planning a small wedding (40-50 people) on or near Fort Knox in November 2011.  My FI and I are currently deployed to Iraq and will be moving to Fort Knox next spring. My biggest problem is that , although KY is home to him, I have never even been to KY and will be planning the wedding from out of town for the nine or so months.  What are some small venues that are semi- kid appropriate? My FI and I have 4 children ages 5-10 between the two of us. Budget is also an issue. I was interested in the CQPrincees, but I don't know how feasible that would be with the weather. Any help would be awesome!

Re: Not from KY, where to start?

• Options
    inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A friend got married a few years ago at the Jazz Kitchen underneath of GlassWorks.  They did the ceremony and reception in the same place and the restuarant did the food.  There were drinks served before the ceremony, then it was a short amount of time before we had dinner and the jazz band for the restaurant played.  It was small, about 50 people, and I know that there were some kids there.  The restaurant was literally closed down for them and it was great.  I'm also going to PM you with some other info. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a friend get married at glassworks too and she said it was very inexpensive.
  • Options
    seseidelseseidel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked at any of the parks around town?  Those are mostly free.  You'd have to worry about weather maybe (which can never be the same each year). 
  • Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ft. Knox is about 40 minutes from downtown Louisville.  My H is Army and was previously posted there.  We went to one wedding on post, with the reception at the Leaders' Club, and it was actually pretty nice.  I think there are a few different rooms at the Leaders' Club to pick from - we were in the most casual (Fiddler's Green, I think).  If I were planning and using that venue, I'd want to pick a different room, but all the others I saw were really pretty nice. 

Glassworks is definitely a cool option; although, you don't have a choice on caterer and I've heard not so great things about the food. 

There are tons of venues available in Louisville.  If you can give us a little more on what you want things to be like, I'm sure we can help narrow things down for you.

Also - what's the potential wedding date? 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    kysnowbirdkysnowbird member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at Glassworks next year; we have a guest list of about 210 though, and we're renting out the upstairs. They have prices on their Web site, which is helpful.

Oh no, Squirrly! That makes me sad. :-( Have you heard bad things from a lot of people? :-( We do have to use their caterer, and we just had our tasting two weeks ago. I thought the food was really good, and my future in-laws just went to a wedding there over the weekend and said the food was good... so I'm hoping it turns out okay.

Armymama, you may want to look up the Mellwood Arts Center; they have a smaller room that would be pretty cool. Or have you checked out Nunnlea House? My friends had a small wedding there last year, and it was gorgeous. They have a little on-site garden for the ceremony, and there's lots of gardens and porches for kids to run around and play on. :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    armymamachickarmymamachick member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The date is November 1st so the idea of parks and all, assuming the weather is like CO/ KS at that time of the year and chilly, wouldn't be a good idea. Unless KY is any different. I'll definitely look up Glassworks and the Leader's Club.  I'm really looking for something simple/elegant, since military weddings are at a minumum semi-formal events. And as a soldier and Mom I don't get to dress up ever. Or get to dress up the kids either for that matter. It's truely going to be our closest friends and family present. A huge affair for a second marriage (me) and third (him) seems a little much to me and I'd rather spend more for the honeymoon. My budget is $3000 for the reception/ ceremony to include clothing. Thanks so much for the help!

• Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    snowbird, don't worry about the food.  I haven't heard anything in the last couple of months, so if your ILs went recently, that should be a more current example.  I think, when the Jazz Factory in the basemet closed and the restaurant moved to the Highlands, things were a little rough for awhile.  Sounds like they've likely improved since then.

armymama, I'm not sure if you can find photos of the Leaders' Club on the web, but I'd really recommend checking it out.  I think you'll get the most for your money there.  However, don't forget to ask about military discounts with any other vendors - we got a few. 

http://www.knoxmwr.com/centerRecreationbrLeisurecenter/FortKnoxLeadersClub/tabid/132/Default.aspx

DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards