Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

if my...

ceremony is at 6:30 at chapel of the flowers and i picked the 30 min photo session. What time should dinner be afterwards?

is 9 pm too late? is 8:30 not enough time?...lol sorry

Re: if my...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh goodness yes 9pm is too late for dinner. Keep in mind, Vegas ceremonies are on average probably 4 minutes long. These are quicky weddings, which was exactly what we wanted. We had our ceremony at 4:30 and with photos after, going to the Vegas sign for photos, and driving halfway down the strip we were still early for our reception, which was at 6. So I say anywhere from 1hr to maybe 1.5 hours in between in more than enough time, depending on how far your reception space is, since COF is a bit off the strip.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_if-my?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:8e97c4ff-95b8-4206-8021-df64f210cb10Post:f76b4234-f83d-42a4-9fc0-82cccdde1f20">Re: if my...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh goodness yes 9pm is too late for dinner. Keep in mind, Vegas ceremonies are on average <strong>probably 4 minutes long</strong>. These are quicky weddings, which was exactly what we wanted.<strong> We had our ceremony at 4:30 and with photos after, going to the Vegas sign for photos, and driving halfway down the strip we were still early for our reception, which was at 6</strong>. So I say anywhere from 1hr to maybe 1.5 hours in between in more than enough time, depending on how far your reception space is, since COF is a bit off the strip.
    Posted by ahhhitsshannyn[/QUOTE]

We will have the same time frame that you had, ceremony at 4:30 and reception a 6pm -- good to know it worked out well with time to spare!

OP - I would agree that 9pm is too late!
  • Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our ceremony starts at 5 with a cocktail hour starting at 5:30.  Dinner is served at 6:30.  However, my wedding and reception are in the same building (ballrooms are right next door to each other).  I am hoping for a 15 minute ceremony...I don't want people waiting around for cocktails TOO long.

Also, we are doing everything except family formals BEFORE the ceremony.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Keep the time change in mind for your guests. A late dinner in Vegas will be a super late dinner if you're from Atlanta.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm having my ceremony at COF at 7pm. I really wanted 6pm but there wasn't any availability. I bought the package that has 15 min extra on the grounds. My in-suite reception is starting at 8pm. I'm thinking we're all going to be about 30 min late to the reception since

COF 6:45pm check-in
            7:00pm ceremony
            7:10pm - ceremony ends, 15 min on the grounds to take pics
            7:30pm - bus takes us to reception
            8:00pm - reception starts (Heavy appetizers and drinks)

I'm going to let everyone know to eat dinner or snack beforehand so they're not starving by the time the reception starts

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jen, with an 8 pm reception time, people will probably eat a light dinner so I think you'll be fine! Where is your reception? I think COF is at the Stratosphere end if the strip so it can be a hike to get to the other end-even if you're taking Koval or Industrial. A half hour may be a little optimistic.
    Bi-oh-rama

"smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I disagree with everyone else. I think everything runs later in Vegas. We rarely (never?) eat dinner before 9pm in Vegas, and that is not normal at home. Are you doing any additional photos past the 30 min photo session? Also depending on where your reception is in relation to COF, I think 8:30 will work for dinner.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my reception is going to be at Mandalay Bay in the Vista Suite. It is on the opposite end of the strip from COF. I'm figuring it will take us an hour to get there as it is Saturday night. Does anyone know any back streets so it won't take as long?

My ceremony package has a 20 minute photoshoot included plus 15 min on the grounds to take personal pics. I am going to hire a separate photographer to take pics before the ceremony around the vegas strip so my guests don't have to wait too long.

I will probably have to push my reception time back to 9pm. I didn't want it to be so late because I have the DJ for 4 hours and the bartender for 5 hours. I'm hoping everyone will want to stay up really late!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_if-my?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:8e97c4ff-95b8-4206-8021-df64f210cb10Post:a51994b9-083f-48a6-ab25-fcae4ea19612">Re: if my...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I disagree with everyone else. I think everything runs later in Vegas. We rarely (never?) eat dinner before 9pm in Vegas, and that is not normal at home. Are you doing any additional photos past the 30 min photo session? Also depending on where your reception is in relation to COF, I think 8:30 will work for dinner.
    Posted by dvohnout[/QUOTE]

That 9 pm dinner isn't too bad IF it is immediately following a 7:30 or 8 pm wedding.

Both my parents and FI's rarely eat past 6:30 or 7.  I think you should be very specific on your invitations that the dinner is not until 9 pm so people know not to eat "lunch" until 4 or 5.  In Vegas, my parents are up at 7, breakfast is finished well before 8:30.  Lunch at 1ish.  They are not going to be able to wait until 8:30 or 9 for dinner.  They'd need to eat again before that. 

If late dinners are the norm in your family, go for it. If not you should make sure they know.  The 6:45 to 9 gap is just long enough to go eat dinner.  If you don't want your guests to do that, you need to think about what the alternatives are.  Having a wedding at 6:30 is considered dinner hour so many will assume dinner or some sort of food is shortly following and not 2.5 hours away.
    Bi-oh-rama

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_if-my?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:8e97c4ff-95b8-4206-8021-df64f210cb10Post:a1d5f592-cf44-4f6e-9889-42577c790f93">Re: if my...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In  I think you should be very specific on your invitations that the dinner is not until 9 pm so people know not to eat "lunch" until 4 or 5.  Posted by smokeybailey[/QUOTE]
    I agree with this! As a diabetic it wouldbe very important to me that I know that dinner isn't until late otherwise you might have to call me an ambulance or have me in a corner shooting up glucagen.
    Late/missing meals can also make people grumpy (due to drops in blood sugar levels) and the last thing you want is grumpy guests.
  • Options
    aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_if-my?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:8e97c4ff-95b8-4206-8021-df64f210cb10Post:f76b4234-f83d-42a4-9fc0-82cccdde1f20">Re: if my...</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Oh goodness yes 9pm is too late for dinner</strong>. Keep in mind, Vegas ceremonies are on average probably 4 minutes long. These are quicky weddings, which was exactly what we wanted. We had our ceremony at 4:30 and with photos after, going to the Vegas sign for photos, and driving halfway down the strip we were still early for our reception, which was at 6. So I say anywhere from 1hr to maybe 1.5 hours in between in more than enough time, depending on how far your reception space is, since COF is a bit off the strip.
    Posted by ahhhitsshannyn[/QUOTE]

YES it is. I agree even if YOU are used to eating late I doubt all of your guests are.  Please keep them in mind.  Yoou should be out of COF in an hour, even with the extra photo time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards