Latino Weddings
Options

Laso and Arras

When exactly in the ceremony do you use the lazo and arras?  Also, when you do the lazo, do you have to be kneeling or can you be standing??  I'm half mexican (per my mother) and she can't remember since she got married in Mexico eons ago...

Thanks!

Re: Laso and Arras

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Your priest should know.

I think its usually after you exchange rings.
    You should be kneeling and your padrinos puts it around you both.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, unfortunately my pastor probably won't know since it's taking place in a Lutheran Church and we aren't having Padrinos.  I'll have my Matron of Honors probably do it though.... We meet w/our pastor tomorrow, so we will be discussing it.  I'm sure I'll be telling him when to do it..Lol.  I'm trying to throw in some of my Mexican heritage into this wedding :-)

But yes, I do know about it being right after we do the vows.....now what about the arras??

Thanks for your input!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My sisters' weddings were pretty traditional, they did it right before the rings, along with the candle lighting. I'm pretty sure that's the route most take... i think
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I always thought they were for Catholic weddings.  We are not doing either.

My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The laso and arras are generally given after the vows and rings are exchanged. This is what we are doing, along with receiving a Bible and rosary. We are also receiving flowers that we will take to the Virgin Mary, and that will happen after Communion. (I am Mexican, my FI is Polish, we are both Catholic and we are having a full Catholic, bilingual mass.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_laso-arras?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:d3d74056-477b-46b2-9546-4a968872c477Post:86f7715d-21f7-40d4-b8f0-8d493f088ef6">Re: Laso and Arras</a>:
    [QUOTE]I always thought they were for Catholic weddings.  We are not doing either.
    Posted by debdebdol[/QUOTE]

I had always thought so as well (certainly that is the origin) but after looking into it it seems that lots of couples incorporate them into non-Catholic ceremonies.  I think it is mostly a question of what you and your guests are comfortable with.  FI and I are interested in doing both, but will be talking with some of our practicing-Catholic friends to ensure that no one will be offended.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really don't see why people would be offended. The Lasso and Arras are "symbols" and I actually think our guests that are unaware of what it is will be pleased since we will include the meaning behind it in our programs.  I think it's a meaningful act to include in the wedding ceremony. 
  • Options
    Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been going back and forth about doing this part of the ceremony. I'm having a Christian Non-denominational wedding... I still haven't decided yet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing them right after the vows and rings are exchanged.  We too are receiving a bible and rosary, as mentioned above.  Does anyone know where you can find arras?  I am in the St. Louis area, which has a small Hispanic district but not really much.  I am going to see if I can order them thru one of our shops downtown, if not I am interested to see if I could order them on-line.  We are not having our ceremony in a church and there won't be an appropriate place to kneel, so we will be standing during our laso, but I think it will be just as meaningful.  We are having our mothers put the laso on, due to the connection with the Virgin Mary, but we are having padrinos present the other special symbols.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Perfect!! a 100% latina at your service!!
    The arras (13 silver coins that represent the assets to be shared go immediately after the ring exchange.  After this, the priest will say "now you can kiss the bride", here's when the MOH or "padrinos" (godparents) of the wedding place the lazo around the bride & groom.  In Catholic ceremonies, the lazo is a rossary.
    <a href="www.theknot.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers&quot;&gt;&lt;img" rel="nofollow" />http://www.theknot.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers&quot;&gt;&lt;img src="http://global.theknot.com/tools/tickers/tt6a002.aspx&quot; alt="Wedding Countdown Ticker" border="0"  /></a>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I found my arras while visiting my brother in McAllen Texas.  I guess your best bet would be to look online.  I live in the Cleveland Ohio area and we don't have much of a Mexican community so I would have looked online had I not gone to visit my brother.
  • Options
    Kaye SmithKaye Smith member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got our arras holder and our lazzo from this website.  I'm very happy with what we got!  http://www.arras-coins-for-sale.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have arras that I am selling...email me BreeZ1299@aol.com  I can send you a picture.  I was going to use them for my wedding but my mom was able to find my abuelos arras :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards