Military Brides
Options

I'm going to be an army wife:)

I've been with my fiance since my freshman year of highschool- we're highschool sweethearts. He joined the army right after he graduated (a year before me) and I'm now in college and will be done before our wedding. He is leaving for a deployment in the next 2 weeks and I will be planning alone! I'm very nervous but excited at the same time that I have something to look forward to while he's gone. I just don't know where to start!

Re: I'm going to be an army wife:)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!
    First things first is figuring out a budget. Then you can see how many people you can feed etc. Once you have a guest list total you can start searching for places that will fit your # of guests. Your dream venue may only be available xyz date so that can help with the date. We figured out our budget first then our date -- the military makes finding a date really hard!

I think you can see where it goes from there :) Colors/themes that fit the venue. Or if there is a theme you have to have, then pick a venue that fits it.

HTH! :)

ETA: Planning during a deployment has its perks and pitfalls. It can remind you that he is gone but keep your mind busy and focusing on your future and when he returns! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats to you! We have a similiar story- Naval Academy in my case. He graduated in May, I'm finishing up my last year of college now before the wedding in October. Just try to get as many of his opinions/insight as you can before he leaves! I knew my FI wouldn't be able to come to any cake tastings, etc, so we got a few samples from a local bakery to see what flavors he voted yes or no on. Stuff like that might help you feel that he's still involved, even if he can't physically be with you during all the exciting planning moments!

When is your wedding?
    Nimi and Little Bite Photobucket
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!

I definitely second everything Shan said - plan the budget, then the guest list, and go from there.

Also, it's usually helpful to plan your wedding over a holiday weekend to increase the likelihood that he'll be granted leave.  I have an Army friend who got married on Friday of Thanksgiving weekend, another who got married on the 4th of July (how festive, right?), and yet another to get married on New Years.  It's not required, but it can help lessen the chance that you'll have to change your date.

Regardless of when you do it, make sure each of your vendors is willing to sign a "military clause" into the contract, stating that should his commitment to the US Military prevent him from attending the wedding on said date, that the vendor will transfer your deposit to another available date.  You might end up taking a less-than-ideal date, or postponing your wedding if something comes up, or even losing 1-2 deposits that can't accomodate the new date, but it can save you a lot of headache, heartbreak, and money in the not-so-unlikely case that the military changes his orders and thus your wedding plans.

Good luck!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh I should add - I second Calindi's comment on Holiday weekends. Ours is Memorial Day Wknd this year. However, some still can't make it because of training over a holiday weekend so be prepared for that. We tried giving them roles to increase the chance of them getting leave, which didn't work LoL now I am trying to find back ups.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am in the same boat as you. He is already deployed though. It is hard, but hopefully he's going to an area with decent communications set up. Keep busy and don't be like me and overstress about everything! Between school and the wedding and deployment, it can be a lot. We're looking around 4th of July because they should be home by then and on their leave. But it's never guarenteed. Which thank you for that military clause advice, I didn't think about that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Go for a Holiday Weekend!! Or near a holiday!! We got married a week before Christmas, that way we both took leave during our respective commands holiday leave periods. Also Military Clauses are super helpful. Trust your instincts when it comes to making decisions. Talk with your FI before he leaves and make notes on the things he really cares about, most guys really care about the food, and not so much about the flowers. Good Luck!!

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and I understand the planning while he is deployed.  We got engaged in January, which is part way through a 12 month depoyment and I am currently planning a september wedding.  Its a whirlwind! 

Im a little on the OCD side, so I make lists, tons and tons of lists and always carry pens and paper because I'll see something I like out, or a color or a detail and will never remember.

I was completely overwhelmed at first, so I had to sort of filter everyone else's opinions to not get completely frustrated!  I say think of budget and where you want to have it, once that is done, think of when.  Once all of that is done, everything else will be 10x easier because you won't be planning ideas for 5 different places because you aren't sure where etc.

Most importantly-Relax and enjoy!
  • Options
    tayrow8790tayrow8790 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiancee is about to leave too, and I'm in the exact same situation about being thankful to have something to do while he is gone. He's training right now but the most helpful thing is being able to talk to his parents about all of the wedding stuff. And then hopefully we will have contact and be able to get input from our men!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards