Indiana

We want kids at our reception but others don't.....

How would you all deal with this situation?  We want family kids at our reception if the parents want to bring them.  The problem is that FI side of the family (aunts, cousins, etc.) don't want us to have kids at our reception.  Someone has been spreading around that we don't want kids there, and also they keep telling us that we don't want kids there, it is not fun with kids.  We are getting a little tired of this and today was the last straw when I got an email saying that they had found a babysitter for their kids but wanted us to find a room at the reception place for their kids and their babysitter. 
We have compromised and we will have our own babysitter there IF people want to take their kids there, but we are in no way insisting that they do so.  Also we are not advertising that there will be a babysitter there because we don't want everyone and their brothers bringing their children and us having to pay for their food when they wouldn't have brought them otherwise.   

I guess my question is how would you deal with this without being rude.  I know that they are already being rude, but I need to deal with this nicely so that I don't start off on the wrong foot going into this family.  Any suggestions would be great.

Re: We want kids at our reception but others don't.....

• edited December 2011
    i think i'm confused on what you are trying to say. You don't want kids there or you don't care if they are there. You're allowing a select few family members to bring their kids but no one else? 

We are having the closest family members like FI sister's to bring their children, everyone else is not allowed to bring children. We are only providing child care for those kids (our son, FI 3 nieces). If YOU want kids there then you will have to pay for their plates, obviously. But if you don't want kids make it known No children allowed on the rsvp, don't tell one person you're allowing kids and then they tell someone else they can bring their kids. Know what i mean? 
    I guess you just have to decide yourself what you want at your wedding, don't let others dictate or get mad at what you've decided on. It's not your responsibility to provide for their kids if you don't want them there.
    Photobucket
  • marateamaratea member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    If you want to have kids at the reception, you should invite them. Address the invites to "The Smith Family." If you only address it to Mr. & Mrs. then some people bring their kids, other people may be upset because they thought no children were invited. Also, you shouldn't really invite one family's kids and not another's. The people whose children weren't invited may get upset if they see other children there.
    If YOU want children at the reception, go ahead and invite them. If you want to provide childcare you can, but it's not a requirement. I would think many parents would like a night out with no kids.
  • edited December 2011
    Wait, you're mad that people think you don't want kids, and then you complain about having to get a babysitter and pay for their plates if they do come? You need to decide what you want, because you're being pretty hypocritical right now.

We're allowing first cousin children ad neices/nephews only. But, our guest list is also primarily all close family. Decide if you want kids or not, and then decide what line you're going to draw. You don't want your friends to bring their kids but want to see little neice suzy q? Fine. When people ask, you can say that you're limiting children to immediate family only. You just can't randomly pick which kids come, you need to have a line.
  • munkiimunkii member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_indiana_want-kids-reception-but-others-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:97Discussion:03d6df3b-e168-4ffa-8b03-e789da7c1625Post:a1633cbb-d8b0-40d8-9892-36c968ce157a">Re: We want kids at our reception but others don't.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wait, you're mad that people think you don't want kids, and then you complain about having to get a babysitter and pay for their plates if they do come? You need to decide what you want, because you're being pretty hypocritical right now. Posted by samurai21[/QUOTE]

Glad I'm not the only one who read it that way.  IMO, if you're inviting kids, you have to invite the kids of every adult you're inviting.  There were about 7 kids at my wedding and no one's time was ruined.  If you're worried about paying for their food, ask your catering manager about kid's plates.  Also, you do not need a babysitter for them: their parents will be there.  If their parents have no interest in taking care of their own kids at the wedding/reception, it's on them to find childcare.
    Matt loves Munkii!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards