Military Brides
Options

Name Changing Problems!

Wow, this one's a doozy. Here's the deal.

My finacee is based in Germany and will be until 2012 - so I am supposed to move with him (the plan is) about a week after we get married, we're going to fly to Germany. I wanted to change my name immediately after I get married. Currently, his driver's license is in a different state than mine, so we assumed we would need to be listed at the same address.  Obviously that has to change before we leave the country.  I also was planning on getting my military ID before we moved, just at a dif. base.  The problem is my passport. You need to mail the old one in to change the name, and I need my passport to fly to Germany, since I can't be listed on his orders to live in Germany until AFTER I'm already in Germany.  But you can't change your name on any of these forms until AFTER you are married and have the certified marriage certificate. Our time line looks like this: Married Saturday. Paper work Mon-Tues. Goodbyes Wed-Thurs, leave Friday.  There's just not enough time, because the names have to all match when it comes to flying or else you're going to have problems.

Is there something I'm missing about changing names? Has anyone had to do this before with a military man based overseas? And suggestions??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Name Changing Problems!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you! I think that would work, except perhaps with the whole American driver's license business. I'm still guessing there's something I'm missing - there have been other people doing this for years, so there must be a way!
  • Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having this problem with my honeymoon. You have two options:

Book the ticket to Germany in your maiden name and use your old passport, then turn it in to the US consulate when you get there, and they will send you a new one. I had to do this when I studied abroad - I didn't have enough time to turn it in between the two semester I spent abroad, but it was set to expire before the end of my second semester, so I just got a new one through the US Consulate.

The ticket for my honeymoon was reserved in my married name, but my passport will be in my maiden name. I talked to the airline representatives and they said just to show up extra early with the passport and my marriage license. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    hegrigsbyhegrigsby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would think the best solution is to just do everything in your maiden name. Book the plane tickets, travel with your old passport, and then when you arrive in Germany start the process. I (so far) have had no problems with the Army, in terms of orders, with my maiden name. Good Luck!
  • Options
    SteveandKrisSteveandKris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It'll cost you an arm and a leg, or a boatload of time, but I've gotten a new passport in 3 days (I had to overnight my old passport, birth certificate and other documents stating I was allowing my representative to complete this process for me.. to Miami) and received a new passport back 2 days later... Sent out on Monday, new passport Wednesday.  Might be more difficult with a name change, but its definately do-able.  Isn't how I'd want to spend my last days stateside.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much everybody! These ideas REALLY make me feel a little bit better about the situation... =)
  • Options
    SpunkchinSpunkchin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Your FI needs to talk to his base ID office to get the right info. The earlier you do this the better, though you will be limited because you don't have a marriage license yet.

I don't know how Germany works, but to move to the UK with my H I had to get a visa and a military passport (only for living overseas and getting visas) using the same name as was on his military orders. Which was an unholy pain in the ass since the only thing that had my married name was my mil id (I didn't want to change my name but I've been forced to). This process took months and the visa/passport didn't get to me until the DAY we were supposed to fly out.
    The big issue with entering another country without being on orders and having the visa is that you have to have a return ticket to prove you're not moving there.
    You wont be able to get on the plane in the US without that stuff. Which is why your FI needs to find this out from the ID and travel office. All bases have someone who does this stuff and they should know how to help you.

On top of the mil passport will need a regular tourist's passport for traveling to other countries.

You can't become a resident of the same state as your FI unless you've were a resident previously. Look up the Military Spouse Relief Act for more info.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    One other thing I have been thinking about.  I am an Registered Dietitian in the Army, so, I'm going to have to get my SS card changed, then get my licensures changed before I can even go through the Army to change my name since I'm a provider.  Our honeymoon is a month after our wedding, but I'm going to need my passport for the cruise, so, yeah...  Long story short, we were thinking about getting married under the radar a couple weeks before the actual ceremony to start the name changing process.  I don't know if you are someone who is just completely against this or not, but just an idea :) 
  • Options
    libra44423libra44423 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How about changing your name before the wedding? It's not appealing to most but can help you get everything taken care of in time to go to Germany
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_name-changing-problems?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:8651f606-a96d-4ee6-918a-c5c4a14fdc22Post:bc5b3494-1a55-452f-a6c7-4341cb9cb9bf">Re: Name Changing Problems!</a>:
    [QUOTE]How about changing your name before the wedding? It's not appealing to most but can help you get everything taken care of in time to go to Germany
    Posted by libra44423[/QUOTE]

<div>I still have to get listed on his orders, though, which can't happen until after we're married. Kinda sucks b/c I already have my ticket - and it's a one way. But I can't get listed on his orders and get command sponsorship until AFTER I'm in Germany. I don't quite understand how I'm supposed to get there, b/c can't take the military flight w/o having command sponsorship, but can't take a one-way flight without having a return ticket or else they won't let me take said flight, but I can't get on command sponsorship without showing up in Germany, first. Grrrrr!!!!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards