Wedding Etiquette Forum

Unique Wedding Situation

2»

Re: Unique Wedding Situation

• edited February 2010
    I am really enjoying the new posting ideas that people are bringing in here. Yesterday rosaleen was changing the individual post titles to indicate who she was responding to, and now OP is pasting people's avatars when responding to them. Very cute.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Thank you Scoetto for the advice. I do think you have something to start thinking about. Just sending invites to the courthouse marriage and letting them know that there will be a larger reception at a later date. Your advice really helped to start pulling ideas together, much appreciation.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unique-wedding-situation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:683bfed0-007f-4377-ac9f-3d3a30250caePost:0c13652c-6cbc-47ba-9f0f-0af110b377ad">Re: Unique Wedding Situation</a>:
    [QUOTE]OH and, we were going to be saying, no gifts when we sent out invites for the large reception.
    Posted by onikki16[/QUOTE]

You are not supposed to mention gifts at all in an invitation, so that's out too.

I understand you think a lot of people won't make it to Florida, so why not get married in WI? Or just have a very small wedding? I think you can make this work.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • OP:  There is also a military brides board under "special topic boards" 

You will find your situation is not all that "unique" but that many people are trying to do the same thing as you. 
  • msmerymac :

Not everyone who would want to be there for the courthouse marriage would be able to afford the trip down to Florida. We would like to have a reception in their area after the courthouse marriage (year or so) that way they can have some sort of get together with everyone. That is our reason for doing it at a later date. Also, because the courthouse marriage is going to be in April (very very soon, and that isn't much of a notice to make plans to take a trip to Florida from WI or MI)
    Thanks for the advice!
  • edited February 2010
    WTF is with these newbs? Does anyone else think this strain of them is a little worse than the last time there was a rush of them?

You're all just being snarty anyways.
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unique-wedding-situation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:683bfed0-007f-4377-ac9f-3d3a30250caePost:7eda1369-7359-4d4c-9a07-bcb85692b323">Re: Unique Wedding Situation</a>:
    [QUOTE] I do believe what one of you said, don't waste my reading on the posts are being strong or what I considered rude. Thank you.

Wait what? I still can't tell if you like me or not. :(

My point is that it is as ridiculous to ask us to filter out what you don't want to hear in our posts, as it is for you to filter out only what you want to read in said posts.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unique-wedding-situation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:683bfed0-007f-4377-ac9f-3d3a30250caePost:30c4167c-bf3d-4daa-87fa-6bc341187f1b">Re: Unique Wedding Situation</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're all just being snarty anyways.
    Posted by pumpkinpumpkin[/QUOTE]
    :snart:
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unique-wedding-situation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:683bfed0-007f-4377-ac9f-3d3a30250caePost:30c4167c-bf3d-4daa-87fa-6bc341187f1b">Re: Unique Wedding Situation</a>:
    [QUOTE]WTF is with these newbs? <strong>Does anyone else think this strain of them is a little worse than the last time there was a rush of them?</strong> You're all just being snarty anyways.
    Posted by pumpkinpumpkin[/QUOTE]
    You are correct
  • I wish we still had that waiting period before newbs could post. lurk for a while before posting, and the majority of questions will be answered.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unique-wedding-situation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:683bfed0-007f-4377-ac9f-3d3a30250caePost:ef6b09f9-7ae2-4541-a701-f3d79e839f36">Re: Unique Wedding Situation</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, and FYI, what a scary group of people on this site. Sorry, but this is the first time i'm ever getting married, this is the first time i'm trying to plan a wedding, and I was never taught the etiquettes of a wedding; so my bad if this isn't a unique wedding situation. Another FYI: I understand now that it's RUDE AND GIFT GRABBY TO OFFER REGISTERY OPTIONS IN ANNOUNCEMENTS AND INVITES SO IF THATS WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO POST ABOUT SAVE YOUR TYPING. Thanks. If anyone has something ligit to add to my personal dillemma, it is much appreciated because I am a NEW BRIDE WITH NO EXPERIENCE.

I've never been married before and this is my first time planning a wedding and I had enough common sense not to include registry info on my invites....if you're unsure check google first!'
  • Announcements are always sent after the wedding just in case one person gets cold feet and the wedding doesn't happen.

You can register and let both of your moms know where you are registered.  That way if someone asks, they can be given the information.

Gifts are not mentioned at all.  You don't send registry information out and you don't say that you don't want gifts.

Since your court house wedding is going to be small and low key, why not just call your parents and tell them what you're planning and invite them.  If I didn't know that my child was getting married until I got the invitation (or an announcement after the wedding) I'd be crushed.   

After your wedding, when you send out the announcements, do not mention that you will be having a reception much further down the road.  You never know what is going to happen, especially with the military.  It could be two years before you can actually plan the party.  When the time finally does come, you can send out party invitations with all the necessary information about the time and place.

Hope this helps!

• Not everyone is born knowing how to plan a wedding, but most of us know to go buy a book or a magazine about it. If you honestly know nothing, it really helps to access a planner -- either a book or the tools on the main site of The Knot.

Good luck.
    planning

• Psh, this is my 14th wedding.  I'm an old pro.

And 'ligit' made me laugh...and think to figure out what the hell it was.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I had a friend in a similar crcumstance. There was a chance her fiance was going to be sent to Afghanistan and so they did a courthouse marriage (God forbid something would happen while he was gone, he wanted to make sure she was taken care of). He got a different assignment, and about three months later they had their religious ceremony followed by a formal reception. They decided in the interim not to live together until their religious ceremony, so they just sent out invites to the religious wedding as if they had not had the courthouse wedding. But if you are going to move in together for a year or so before your reception, I like the idea listed about of inviting everyone for a vow renewal and reception.

Also, just in case you hadn't found it yet, there is a "Military Weddings"  under the Special Topic Wedding Boards, they may be able to help as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards