Students
Options

Newbie and Post #1

Hey everyone! I've been on the Military Brides board for a few weeks now, but just realized there was one for students as well. It's so great to see that there's an overabundance of encouragement here! Haha!
Anyway, my name's Meagan and I'm newly engaged, planning a wedding for June 2011 to my soldier who's currently stationed in Washington DC. We've been together since September 2009 and have been long-distance for a majority of the relationship. He is my best friend and I can't wait to spend my life with him.

Now that I've introduced myself, I need to ask for some advice...
Josh (my Fi) and I are planning on having a JOP ceremony in DC in January so that we can take advantage of military healthcare, insurance, housing benefits, etc. AND so that we can split up the paperwork that goes along with becoming a military dependent and the paperwork and planning that goes along with a separate reception. The only problem is that my dad is not too keen on the whole idea of "pushing up" the marriage just to make things easier on ourselves. Granted, I'm his oldest AND his only daughter, so I understand how this could be difficult for him, but how can I convince my dad that Josh and I have thought things through and that we're not just making an immature decision?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Visit Military.weddings.com

image 155 Invited
image 102 Attending
image 40 Regrets
image 13 Awaiting Reply
RSVP Date: March 11

Re: Newbie and Post #1

• Options
    HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    Congrats!!! Welcome to the board!!! 

Sorry to say, I agree with your dad.  If you want to get married, then get married in January.  It is only 5 months ahead.  I don't see why you would only do JOP ceremony and then a whole wedding in June.  Or just wait out the 6 months and stick to getting married in June 2011.  As you can tell, I am not a fan of it.  Personally, I really don't get the point of it.  If you want the benefits associated why not just plan the whole affair for January?  I think you guys would be able to do everything you need by January. 
  • Options
    I'm with Hinaj on this one.  I'm not a fan of JoPing it and THEN having a big ceremony later.  I think you have time to do the whole big ceremony in January.

If you choose not to move the ceremony, I'd skip the big party in June.  If you insist on having some kind of big reception, I would wait until it's a year after or something so it can be an anniversary party.  Whatever you do, don't call it a wedding, because it's not.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Hi!!!  Welcome!

Maybe do the wedding in DC and just have close family and then in June do a wedding party/reception with everyone?

Either way you do it, it will work out.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This is actually pretty common for military- I don't see where there is a problem and I guess I'm in the minority.
    I have a friend who is marrying a Marine, and they are going to do a JOP before he leaves for training and have a vow renewal and celebration afterwards. No one we know has voiced a problem with it, just because it makes sense for them. She will already have benefits, be able to live on base with him, etc; and you know all of that stuff that goes into becoming a dependant can take a while.

Anyway. Just my opinion on it :)
    Maybe your Dad would feel better if he got to at least see the JOP wedding?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hello and welcome!

I agree with the vow renewal part, that's just fine! Best of luck planning!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards