Christian Weddings

POLL - Buttercream or fondant?

H and I don't like frosting and we hated the taste of the fondant that was available, so we just did a very thin layer of buttercream.  I almost wish we'd gone with the fondat because it's so pretty and smooth and there are more decorating options with it.  We decided against it since neither of us liked it and I'd heard that most people don't like the taste of fondant.  It also saved us a ton of money; buttercream is so much cheaper.

Re: POLL - Buttercream or fondant?

• edited December 2011
    My answer is mixed.  My top tier will be fondant with buttercream underneath (but I happen to love the taste of fondant so...) and my cupcakes will all have just plain buttercream.  Except the red velvet cupcakes, which will have cream cheese.  :D
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cream cheese frosting is one of two exceptions to my "I hate frosting" rule.  The other is my mom's chocolate frosting.  Yum.
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't like fondant so I voted for buttercream in the poll, but our cake is going to fondant for decoration purposes.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • SoonToBeGenaoSoonToBeGenao member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fondant makes a cake look very clean and pretty- but is true that many people do not like the taste of it. Also- Buttercream melts, so if you are having an out door or warm weather wedding- it may not hold up. My vote is for butter cream though. So much yummier!
    There's only 1 way 2 say those 3 words and that's what I'll do... I love you Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I also don't like fondant.  A thin layer of buttercream under the fondant helps to make it more "edible" in my opinion, and I've been to weddings with that and the cake was okay.  On ours, we are going with a light white chocolate buttercream (the receipe is an egg-white based recipe instead of the heavy egg-yolk based recipe).  I LOVE our cake baker!!! :-)
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • edited December 2011
    I just don't like fondant at all, it wasn't even an option for us because I dislike it so much. We're having buttercream, and I love the taste. OP I am not a big icing person either, but for some reason I am thrilled about my cake with the buttercream frosting :)
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fondant is pretty and not too gross, IMO. BUT, it's super pricey and most people don't like it. Coming from a baking family, a good cake artist should be able to create the same look as fondant by using buttercream. I plan to find a ton of bakers and try them out. Or, we will have a family member make the cake to our liking!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing white chocolate ganache buttercream.  We had the same issue - my FI really doesn't like the fondant and thinks it's not worth it.  I'm easy either way.  It also saves us money, fondant was about $50-$75 more for the cake.
  • edited December 2011

Our cake is being made by a friend of FMIL who we go to church with, so cost wasn't an issue.  Also, I had never heard of fondant WITHOUT buttercream underneath until I came to TK, that DOES sound gross, lol.  And for those of you who hate fondant, have you tried marshmallow fondant?  I could literally just sit around and eat that stuff like it's candy!  Yum!

image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • edited December 2011

Why spend extra money on cake frosting that tastes like glue?  You can get a beautifully decorated cake that's covered in buttercream.

• edited December 2011
    The person doing my cake is a longtime friend from Fi's old church and is doing the cake as a gift to us. She only uses buttercream but her finishes are very smooth.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Buttercream!! Yumm!!! I like the look and taste better.

We DID have to have some of our cake decorations made in fondant though. But no one ate that part.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards