South Asian Weddings
Options

NWR: Questions about Kerala

Sorry to throw a non-wedding question at you all, but I haven't gotten much feedback from the Nest travel board, and I thought I might have a little more luck.  (btw, I wish they'd had this board back when I got married!  So jealous!)Anyhow, we're spending Christmas with the family in Bombay, and we're planning to spend some time in Kerala.  My MIL & SIL have tasked me with the job of planning the trip.Any advice or recommendations?There will be five of us, and SIL sent me the following itinerary from a travel agent she knows:Day 1 - Fly into Cochin and drive to Allepey. Check into a houseboat and cruise the backwaters. Stay overnight in Cochin.Day 2 - The boat drops you in Kumarakom. Stay for a day. There is nothing much to do, so just relax.Day 3 - Drive 3½ hours to Thekkady. Take it easy the first evening.Day 4 - Do a spice plantation visit and the boat ride in the wildlife sanctuary. Overnight in Thekkady.Day 5 - Drive 4½ hours to Cochin. In the afternoon, relax. Enjoy an interactive Kathakali dance show in the evening.Day 6 - In Cochin, Do sightseeing of Fort Cochin area and some shopping. Evening fly out of Cochin.

Re: NWR: Questions about Kerala

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hiya,My pops who is a Keralite says Cochin is the place to go.  You guys should be seeing a lot of hustle and bustle because of the ports that are there.  If you have the time to travel a little North to Karnataka state (neighbors to Kerala) there are a lot of ancient temples and palaces (Belur Halibedu in the Hassan District and Mysore Palace in Mysore). HTH!
  • Options
    GilliCGilliC member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input!We'll probably hit Mysore on another trip, when we go to Bangalore and Ooty.  DH used to work for Infy, and I think he'd like to show me the campus and the city.  And he went to high school in Ooty so he's been talking for years about going back to visit.  I wouldn't mind doing that trip this year and avoiding the holiday crowds in Kerala, but we offered to take the whole family somewhere.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I have to say I haven't done too much when I go to Kerela. I normally just hang around at the house, but there are a lot of hicking sites. Watch out for the beggers, there aren't as many as North India (just a personal opinion), but they can be shifty.

A good thing to do is when you are in Cochin hire a driver for the day. You can ask them if they will just take you places all day and wait for you. You can pay them about 50 bucks and to them it's a lot more then they would make that day.  Bargaining is a must there when you shop. You can always getting a better price on things. Watch out for low quality things. test it a litttle to make sure it doesn't break instantly.

I've been on the boat rides. Get a person that speaks English of course and bring a lot of water. We ran out and it was miserable.

Hope that helps

Update 6/13/2010
    June 2011 SiggyChallenge: Wedding Cake
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards