Canada-Ontario

Small wedding decor

Hi I'm really excited about my small garden wedding, we are only inviting 30 people maximum. However, I'm pretty upset regarding what I have been told about decorating. I have always dreamed of having an Alice in wonderland themed wedding extremely classy, think elegant tea party which is one of the main reasons I have chosen to have the wedding at a garden. However I have been told it is not in good taste to have any theme other than colours for a wedding with less than 50 people. This is quite distressing and I'm trying to figure out if I should just say screw it, do what I want or my few guests will think I am tacky. What does everyone else think?

Re: Small wedding decor

• I think a theme if done correctly can absolutely be classy. the fear is always that it will come off as  a tacky childs party.
    if you are careful I think a tea party-maybe some croquet and a few other elements (gift table with lots of clocks on it?) will be elegant and not scream tacky.
    FWIT I LOVE Alice in wonderland and would be thrilled to be one of your guests!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think you`re fine doing a themed wedding, perhaps enlist the aid of a decorator to help you with this design?  But, this is your wedding - have it the way you want.  My wedding theme was old Hollywood...so lots of bling for me.

Out of curiosity, who told you that you couldn't have it?  Your wedding can be anything you want it to be.  Is it the venue that told you this or a family member?
  • Oh - and I'm totally like Souptin - I'd be all for your wedding!!!  We're actually going to be doing that theme for my friend's bridal shower.  :D
  • Your day, your way! Who ever told you that did not consider your feelings or the fact that this is an amzing idea! I can see the decor now. Go with it :)
  • I've never heard that rule, but I think that there is a line where some things can cross over to being cheesy but it's definitely not based on size of your wedding. If you are worry that might happen, just ask an honest friend for opinion when you make a theme decision, and see if they think something is "too much". 

But I think your groom is a good check point too (if your groom is the type that typically speak their mind). I also think that it's important that your groom and groomsmen feel comfortable there and that it feels like his idea of a wedding too. 

If you have a great sense of style, you can probably pull off a really stunning and unique event, with a little bit of time for DIY or a budget with wiggle room for a few extra theme items.
  • I don't think that the number of guests determines whatsoever whether you should have a theme.  Who told you that?

In general I think themes at weddings are usually unnecessary and can encroach on being weird or awkward, but not necessarily "tacky" or in bad taste.  If you keep the theme touches elegant and classy, minimal and inobtrusive then I think it could be a lot of fun.
  • edited January 2013
    Hi! I am a wedding planner and I must say that there is no rule about themes and number of guests you are having! It is your Big Day and you shouldnt listen to these sort of remarks. Its great if you have a certain theme in mind as it will reflect your personality on your weding day and will make for beautiful pictures to look at afterwards.
    Stick to your plan and go with it.

If you are interested in day-of coordinator, check out my website www.affairyevents.com No matter how big or small your wedding is, you dont want yourself or your family or friends to be taking care of any logistics, issues, set up, schedules on your big day.I also offer consultations where i could help you develop your theme and refer you to vendors who will be able to bring it to reality.

Ksenia
    ksenia@affairyevents.com
  • Bleh..it's your wedding..your dream.. Go with it! I personally think themeless weddings are boring! Go outside the cookie cutter hehe.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards