Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Need passport for a Cruise to Bahamas?

Not our honeymoon, but we're going on a cruise next month to Bahamas through Carnival. Someone mentioned to check into if we needed a passport. I thought if it was a cruise, you were fine, but I could be wrong... anyone know?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need passport for a Cruise to Bahamas?

• Options
    I don't know the exact standards but I'm 90% sure that you do need one.  FI and I went on two Carnival cruises over the past 3 years that were out of FL and went to the Caribbean and we needed our passport each time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Call Carnival and ask if you're unsure, but I would say that you do need one.  If you missed getting back on the ship at one port, you'd need a passport to get home or the next port right?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_need-passport-cruise-bahamas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:faedfb51-3431-4301-be14-4531d4bd3b07Post:c723eca3-1191-409d-a888-9931a832c027">Re: Need passport for a Cruise to Bahamas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No you don't need one. Bahamas is considered part of the states for some weird reason. My parents just did a cruise there and didn't take their passports. If you did a cruise to like Mexico yes you need a passport but not to Bahamas.
    Posted by LindsaymR[/QUOTE]

The Bahamas are not considered part of the United States. Only Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands (St. Thomas, St. John, and St. Croix) are territories of the US.
    I'm 99.9% sure you will need your passport. Every time I've cruised I've needed my passport because you go through customs when you disembark at the end of your trip. DH and I have been looking into the day cruises that go out of Ft. Lauderdale and take you to the Bahamas and you need your passport for that, so I would assume the same would go for an overnight cruise such as Carnival. HTH!
  • Options
    aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    YES you need a passport to go to the Bahamas from the States.  I have been on many Bahamas & Carribean cruises.  They check EVERYTIME.
  • Options
    O wow!!! OK!!!

They check your passport as a form of ID but it is NOT required if you are a US citizen, you can use an official birth certificate if it is a CLOSED LOOP CRUISE.

You do NOT need a passport if it is a closed loop cruise (leaves and returns to the same port). You DO need a passport if you cruise from one port and return to a different port.

Copied from Carnival:
    Are passports required? Carnival requires guests to provide proper travel documentation in order to travel. The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.  Non-U.S Citizens must contact the appropriate Consulates, U.S. Embassy and U.S. Immigration office to inquire about necessary travel documentation. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of Immigration requirements. It is recommended that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an emergency to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications. It is also recommended that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond completion of travel. *If you need to obtain a passport quickly, Carnival recommends that you contact ZVS at www.zvs.com/carnival" target="_blank" title="http://www.zvs.com/carnival">http://www.zvs.com/carnival or by phone: 1-866-788-1100.  Callers should mention that they are sailing on Carnival to receive discounted service fees.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I went on a cruise to the Bahamas in August and we needed a passport.
  • Options
    It is recommended, not required.  Like McSweets said, it's closed loop.

I just went throught this since we are cruising in June and my Passport expires inAugust.  The cruiseline accepted my DL and certified birth certificate as identification.  I have since renewed my passport.
    C+D, Four kids, two kids-in-law, four grandkids
  • Options
    The carnival rep I spoke to yesterday said as long as we are leaving from a US port and returning to the same port, we do NOT need a passport.  They reccommend you get one in case you would need to travel back unexpectedly or miss the ship, but they can accept alternate IDs for the cruise itself. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket image Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_need-passport-cruise-bahamas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:faedfb51-3431-4301-be14-4531d4bd3b07Post:c723eca3-1191-409d-a888-9931a832c027">Re: Need passport for a Cruise to Bahamas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No you don't need one. <strong>Bahamas is considered part of the states</strong> for some weird reason. My parents just did a cruise there and didn't take their passports. If you did a cruise to like Mexico yes you need a passport but not to Bahamas.
    Posted by LindsaymR[/QUOTE]

Please tell me this was just poor wording on your behalf and that you know the Bahamas are a completely different country.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Nope!  I've been on two cruises to the Bahamas.  One on carnival and one on Disney last year.  They strongly recommend it in case you need to fly home early but you don't have to have one.  All you need is your birth certificate and you drivers licences.
  • Options

It's not required but it is recommended in case something were to happen and you have to fly back to the states. Passports are expensive so you might consider just getting your passport card which is basically only the picture and info part of the passport, it doesnt have all the pages. It's alot cheaper and you can always get the passport book seperatly at another time if needed.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_need-passport-cruise-bahamas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:faedfb51-3431-4301-be14-4531d4bd3b07Post:3b3a0186-87ca-4ae1-b2dd-ce7b9665f37a">Re: Need passport for a Cruise to Bahamas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's not required but it is recommended in case something were to happen and you have to fly back to the states. Passports are expensive so you might consider just getting your passport card which is basically only the picture and info part of the passport, it doesnt have all the pages. It's alot cheaper and you can always get the passport book seperatly at another time if needed.
    Posted by gurlwithwings35[/QUOTE]

The card will not do you any good if you need to fly home as it is only accepted for land and sea travel.  It's not THAT much more to just get the book and it is good for 10 years. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards