Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Is this a good deal?

Hi! I'm still over a year away before my wedding, but I wanted to get the big things booked. I'm trying to do a fairly cheap wedding, cutting costs wherever possible. I'm looking into a local photographer in my area. This is her only availble wedding package.

* up to 6 hours for the getting ready, the ceremony and the reception,
as long as you want me there. I won't rush you to do the ceremony events just so I can leave. ;);)
* Travel expenses are included, within reason. Where is the ceremony and reception being held?
* Includes posed, formal and candid shots. I love the candid shots! :):)
* Custom editing of images for special effects & blemishes, shadows,
etc.
* DVD with untouched and edited images is included in this deal. There is no additional charge for that. Additionally, I can order lab prints if you like.
* $525 package for everything.

It doesn't include the prints or a book, but I have printing rights for everything. Also, I was going to meet the photographer in person soon (we've been corresponding though email). We were going to do lunch sometime. What other things should I talk to her/ask her about? Thanks everyone!

Re: Is this a good deal?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that sounds like a great deal! When I met with photographers, I picked questions from this list (link) to ask. We had three major concerns when meeting with the photographers.
    * I asked was to see all of the photos from a wedding. I wanted to get an overall feel for their work, not just the ones they picked to go on their website.
    * I asked for references so I could get feedback from other couples how it was working with the photographers.
    * I made sure we felt completely at ease with the photographer. There was one whose pictures we liked a lot but whose personality didn't quite mesh with ours. We didn't book with her because we don't want to end up looking uncomfortable in our pictures.

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds good to me. Prices kind of depend on the area you're in. My package is like yours in that I'm not getting any albums or prints for the sake of saving money now and spending it later. I booked mine a year and a half before the wedding.

Ditto to the PP on questions to ask.
  • Options
    rouquine25rouquine25 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I can't wait to meet with her and ask her those questions! I really hope I like her personality! :D
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It sounds really low to me for that kind of coverage. Is it an amateur? Most professionals would charge more.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i agree that $525 sounds really low, but we're getting married in chicago where everything is expensive, so it could just be me.

also have you done your timeline yet?  just make sure the 6 hours of coverage is enough time for you!  our photographer will probably be working 12-15 hours - getting ready at noon, taking photos in the city, the ceremony at 4pm and reception following.

it's definitely a great deal, just make sure it's not too good to be true!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It really depends on your area.  Also, figure out your day of time line because you may need more hours of photography. 

ETA: It actually sounds scary low to me. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    woodfrogswoodfrogs member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Sounds kind of low to me, especially with edited photos. Your photog certainly isn't making much money on this kind of pricing. How long have they been doing this sort of work? I know of a photog in the area who would charge $1250 for something similar (but includes a second photographer).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds very low to me.  I am getting just about the same for what I found to be a steal at $2250.

Make sure you see examples of her work (pre- and post-edited if possible).  And remember, photography is one of the only things you get to keep after your wedding is over.  Don't skimp on it just to save money.
  • Options
    mandms08mandms08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's pretty low. I'm in Indiana and my photo isn't one of the higher priced ones. I'm paying for your package details but with 2 photogs and unlimited time. It is $1800. But she has the photojournalistic style that makes the prices automatically go up for this category.

I've seen even lower priced photogs for about $1000 with still good quality. It could be she is less expensive because of the 6 hour cap or she may be newer to the business. Make sure you look at her portfolio and ask how many weddings she has shot. Also ask how many shots are taken on average in a 6 hour time slot.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree that it seems scary low. I have heard some horror stories about the $500-700 photographers. I would be sure to try and find reviews and ask to see their portfolio! 

Best of luck to you!

• Options
    pab128pab128 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sounds like a really good deal especially if she signs off the rights to the pictures for you to print what you want, when you want. May want to look into seeing if she can do a minimum of 8 hours though. 6 hours sounds like you may not get too many pics of your recpetion and the party (unless thtas not something you and your fiance are all that worried about). I have been looking at the same things. So long as a person signs off the rights to their photos to us, then it'll be better and cheaper for us to get what we want. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards