Delaware

Got married + a question

I know I'm still a new poster.... but I had to share. I got married yesterday! My now husband and I decided not to wait another year for marriage. We applied for a marriage license earlier in the month. For many reasons, financially it didn't make sense to delay. I also have a very ill grandmother who wanted me to be married before she passes and really my husband and I have a great relationship. I truly believe I married my best friend.

We had a civil ceremony, nice new attire, I had a beautiful bouquet given to me by my FIL, and we were surrounded by close family. It was really great. And I was never nervous or anxious, which is amazing!

We are still having a formal ceremony/reception in early 2011, basically to celebrate with our out of town family and friends. We are only having 75 guests or less, so it isn't going to be a huge celebration. I promised my mom I would do a formal ceremony/reception if I did a civil ceremony. She wasn't financially able to have a nice wedding (she and my father were straight out of college) and it is literally her dream for me-which she is graciously contributing to.

We already live together and purchased many things when we bought the house 8 months ago-so we really don't need much. We want to emphasize to our guests that we are not gift-seeking by having another celebration, has anybody done this before? I would find it really tacky or embarrassing to have someone feel like they need to contribute.

I have seen some nice wording for invites and such, like "Only the gift of your presence is requested" Any other ideas? or how to word the invite? I suppose it will be a renewing of the vows?

thanks!

Beth

Re: Got married + a question

• edited December 2011
    Congrats!  I hope you have a wonderful and happiness filled lifetime with your love.

My advice goes along the lines of ettiquette (I am a huge stickler for it, lol).  I would not write anything on the invitations, because doing so is considered tacky.  Instead, spread it through word of mouth, especially through your mom/MIL/BMs.  If you aren't having a bridal shower, chances are they (or you) will get questions about where you are registered.  At that point, you (or whomever is being asked) can reply with "we would greatly appreciate your presence being our gift" or something along those lines. 

If you wish to put it in print, you can also put something to that affect on a wedding website.  Again, though, ettiquette says that you can't put a wedding website on your invitation, so it would have to be through word of mouth.  One way to get around this:  include an insert saying "for directions and accomodations information, please visit ::website::".  Then, when your guests go there for that info, they will click around and see about gifts (it's considered okay to place a direction insert like that in your invitations.  If you want to do both written directions included with the invitation as well as a website, put something like "for more info, please visit our website").

Hope that helps!
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto pp, mentioning gifts at all on the invitation even to say "no gifts" is considered rude because it implies that the person was going to give you one when really it's optional.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • edited December 2011
       Thank you ladies, I remember hearing the etiquette about mentioning gifts on invites a while ago-but I hadn't gotten that far in my research for my own wedding.

Lol guess I need to reference the huge stack of wedding books/magazines I have.

I will be sure and leave any reference out of invites/inserts/etc and rely on our families to spread the word. We are blessed to have such awesome families that understand our eagerness to say our vows :)

I was really worried about having this civil ceremony come off as "shotgun" or tacky. No offense to anyone else, but it turned out to be nice, low stress and meaningful to us. So I give it a thumb's up :)

We are visiting a reception venue in a few weeks, the last one we visited---we were NOT impressed.

Beth

• Mattsbride10Mattsbride10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_delaware_got-married-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:77Discussion:3bf5e630-f955-4383-8231-a3966d57ace2Post:c34f3ab3-d601-4f34-bdb4-9e1001ad8c2b">Got married + a question</a>:
    [QUOTE]   . We want to emphasize to our guests that we are not gift-seeking by having another celebration, has anybody done this before? I would find it really tacky or embarrassing to have someone feel like they need to contribute.     I have seen some nice wording for invites and such, like "Only the gift of your presence is requested" Any other ideas? or how to word the invite? I suppose it will be a renewing of the vows? thanks! Beth
    Posted by pinkcherryblossom[/QUOTE]

In my opinion I think its fine to use an invite like the one mentioned above. I'm sure you should have a fairly good idea as to how your  friends and family will react lto it(ie. are they really going to question your etiquette?) .  Word of mouth is fine too if you're sure it will reach everyone. Good luck.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards