June 2013 Weddings

over budget :(

Just used the budget tool on The Knot, and realized we are already over budget, and are definiately not done planning/booking/buying/etc.  :(  :(  :( 

I feel defeated.  I have definiately cut things out and found discounts, which I thought would help.  Fortunately, we do have financial help from our families, but unfortunately we don't have any major DIY things going on - which would really cut down costs and stress!!!  **sighing**

How are you guys doing when it comes to staying on budget?

Re: over budget :(

• We're over at this point too.  I'm not very financially-minded so I've been relying on FI to help me stay within budget with reminders as to if what I'm asking for can be fit into the budget.  Found out this weekend that it majorly backfired to do that.  Now we're trying to figure out how to come up with another $2500.  It's not horribly over budget but enough to make us squirm.

You still have time to do some of your stuff DIY though!  It's not too late until the day of Smile
    June 2013 Sig Challenge - Shoes

Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh!! We are over budget too. We were aiming for 10,000 and it looks like we will be ending up spending 12,000. And I am doing a lot of DIY and we are cutting out a few things. I'll be happy If we don't go over anymore that's not including our rings, btw .
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I totally understand how you feel. I remember telling FI we can do this for $3000 EASY. That 3k turned into 8k, then 11k and now were looking at 14-15k. I keep looking back at the $3000 plan I had and how fast it vanished. Makes my skin crawl. Fortunately were paying cash for everything and are both able to work overtime since were paying for it on our own. We put $2000 on a credit card and thankfully our tax returns will pay that off plus the last big stuff we need. I suggest sitting down, making a list of everything else u need the money for... Set a dollar amount for each thing. As you get the money, put it in an envelope so u know what it's for. I have a huge Manila envelope that says WEDDING FUNDS and inside is smaller ones, cake, bridal clothing, groomsman clothing, flowers, etc. we pay cash for stuff. I had to pay for something online with my debit card, and then just took the funds from the envelope and put it in the bank to cover. We're trying very hard to stick on budget now for the rest of it. I panicked and told FI that the bridal wear was going to be twice what we budgeted. He said we pull from the DJ fund bc I pay that the day of. So I did... Now I laugh bc the bridal wear was 1/2 what we originally budgeted so it worked out Cut where you can. And if its important to stay on budget, from here on try to not go over. If u budget $500 or something and its $800 u know u need to scale back Good luck!!!
  • So far we are under budget. We promised not to go over $10k, and as it sits we closer to $6,500. We still have a few small purchases to make, but so far everything is good. 

We were able to keep under budget because we skipped out on a lot of things. No personalized napkins, chair covers, uplighting, videography, ect. We decided on a Friday wedding to cut down a bit too. The venue gave us 15% off because of the day, and we sill get an open bar. We are not giving people options for dinner. (This would add $9 per person at our venue!) We are serving soup, salad and a chicken dish. (We have gluten free and vegan meal available) 

We also cut down our guest list, we went from 120+ people to 65. 

Its not the destination so much as the journey, they say. - Captain Jack Sparrow Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm trying to stay at $5k, bit at this point I'd be happy if we come in under 7k. I didn't even take rings into consideration and when I was talking to my FI about how good I thought we were doing, he told me my engagement ring blew the budget out of the water already! That makes me sad in a way because I hate to think he felt it was necessary to buy something that expensive. Hopefully he's just teasing me! But rings aside, I think we're doing okay...ish, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We actually kept raising our budget- started saying we wanted to keep it at 10k.
    I'm not sure what we are now, probably close to 15, but we are trying to keep it no more than that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel this way as well my mom keeps telling me she will help and the money will suffice but we still have yet to pay for the caterer, linens/place settings/DJ/ and flowers. It's starting to scare me a lot
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I've definetly kept in very under budget, my mom offered to pay 10,000.00 towards the wedding but I told her that all that she had to pay for was the ceremony site, reception site, and the food. Other than that 've paid for everything and have kept the whole wedding for under 4,000.00 and we have a guest list of 350 I'm pretty proud of myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards