Snarky Brides

Ancestry dot com

Has anyone used this before? I actually signed up for their free trial and started building a family tree. I ended up finding a few pictures and documents like WWI draft registrations on family members. It's really kind of awesome and interesting once you start putting everything together.

Just wondering if anyone esle had any experience with it.

Re: Ancestry dot com

• Yeah, my dad used it.  There's another website that is Mormon-affiliated, I think?  that is supposed to also be really good.  That's how my dad figured out that we were linear descendants of the girls responsible for the Salem witch trials. 

• I've used it... I haven't found much though, unfortunately. I'm kinda bummed- We have a huge family tree made out for both sides of my family, but it would have been cool to see if we could find more.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My coworker had a subscription and we used to use it to do research when we couldn't find courthouse records. It was really useful.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • My mom and sister rock it hard. I probably get a "The XXXX family is growing!" e-mail 3-5 times a week. Mom has too much time on her hands.

On the other hand, she has found out some cool stuff on our family.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am SO into this kind of thing, but unfortunately both my parents were adopted in sealed adoptions so we are not able to pursue it at the moment. Upon retirement my parents are going to go through the legal process of getting everything unsealed now that all their parents have passed away.
  • I didn't know that, Meg!  That's really interesting.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ancestry-dot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:73cb1b4a-0617-4a0c-afaf-ebc39f85f6d0Post:8695723e-1f4c-4f8b-a158-0edda8936274">Re: Ancestry dot com</a>:
    [QUOTE]I didn't know that, Meg!  That's really interesting.
    Posted by marriedfilingjointly[/QUOTE]

Yup! It is almost weird to me they are not more eager to unseal them, but they grew up thinking of their adoptive parents as their family so it has never really moved them to dig into it. I know my siblings and I are very interested though so my parents are probably mostly doing it for us.
  • That's really interesting M&M.

I really want to look of my family. A few years back we found out my grandma had a whole family none of knew about. Her husband was very abusive and treated that if she left and tried to take the kids he would kill them. She left and only told my grandpa about it. My grandpa and the rest of my dad's family is in contact with her children now.
  • Wow, M&M that's crazy. One of my BM's is adopted, but I don't think it was a sealed adoption. Although, she has no desire to find, meet or develop any kind of realtonship with them. I don't think I'd feel the same. I think my curiosity would get the best of me and I'd just want to know.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ancestry-dot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:73cb1b4a-0617-4a0c-afaf-ebc39f85f6d0Post:bb1e43d4-188a-4e09-bcaf-67eb353de886">Re: Ancestry dot com</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, my dad used it.  There's another website that is Mormon-affiliated, I think?  that is supposed to also be really good.  That's how my dad figured out that we were linear descendants of the girls responsible for the Salem witch trials. 
    Posted by marriedfilingjointly[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Ancestry is the Mormon affiliated one.

• This is how Fi's bio family found him.  The Mormon one is very good as well. 
  • I've considered it for quite awhile, I really want to learn about my Dad's side of the family. There is no one left to ask questions. We have no idea what ethnic background we are because my grandfather refused to tell my father we were anything other then Americans.

At least on my Mom's side she's still around to tell me things.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My mom did extensive ancestry research.  We've gotten a lot of anecdotal stories from my Great Grandmother and Great Grandfather (when he was still alive) and tried to document those as well as scan old family photos and all sorts of things.  I have a photo of my great-grandmother's grandmother, it's awesome.

I haven't gotten into much of her research yet, but it's something I plan to do.
  • I used the free trial.  My aunt does genealogy as a hobby.  She goes to the local library and uses ancestry.com for free there.  I found a lot of my family, but it got really hard after I traced eveyone back to when they came over from different countries.  My ancestry is entirely European, so once I got back to the European countries, I hit a dead end.  But ancestry.com may be better with their international info now (I did my genealogy about 2 years ago).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • I love that site.  I've found a lot of information about my family.  I especially like seeing the census records.  My great-aunt's name was spelled wrong both of the years when she was child, and my grandfather was listed as female one time (not sure how they thought William was a female name).  I have almost no information on my mother's family though.  I don't talk to them and without knowing which states they lived in, there's just too many people to sort thought. 

One thing, if you're using the free trial, download any printed records that you find (census, draft records and what not).  You won't be able to access them after the trial runs out unless you start paying. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards