Flowers
Options

Long way away but..

Im not getting married until NEXT May (yeah long time to go) but since its going to be a wedding in my own backyard (pretty large area of land) I know that other than the bulbs I need to plant in fall for the wedding, I should probably plant anything else I want this spring... so my question is what should I plant (perinnial) now that will look beautiful come next may?

Re: Long way away but..

• Options
    topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would be prepared to buy flowers for arrangements just in case the flowers don't bloom.

We planted perennials around our house a while back and the stems came up this r but no flowers. Some of the other perennials plants have bloomed, so I don't know what happened lol.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    loveslugloveslug member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would consult one of your local garden stores, or if you have an extension office they sometimes have a master gardeners group that are usually very willing to help with suggestions...your local experts will know what grows best in your zone, and when to anticipate their blossoming.  What would be in bloom in May in my area is probably very different from what will be in bloom in Milwaukee at the same time.  Also, look at a few gardening and garden supply websites-that will help you narrow it down as far as colors and types, too.

• Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are planning on saving money by using flowers out of your yard, you might end up spending even more money than just buying flowers.  Sometimes bulbs planted in the fall don't always bloom the first year, and it's too iffy to rely on the planted flowers to be blooming at the right time. 

But if you are just planting with a future eye on having your yard look nice next May, then you might want to do some gardening research to see what type of plants will be blooming next May.  I'm not familiar with WI climate and blooming seasons.  

For this reason, I'd suggest you plant flowers and plants that will look good whether they are blooming or not (and hope that they do bloom), and have a back up plan to buy some cut flowers for WP flowers, and some pots of seasonal potted flowers, or some color annuals if needed for decoration. 

I'm in a completely different gardening zone but here Asian jasmine, roses, hardy ferns, irises, Easter lilies, and azaleas would be blooming in May.  Other perrenials might not bloom until later in the summer, like lantana, mums, daisies, etc...
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

Great planning on your part phinch!

I'm not getting married until next AUGUST, so I've got you beat in length of time, LOL

I live near Detroit, so our planting zones are similar. Not sure how much room you have to plant, but here's what I have that comes up in or around May:

Lilacs (you'd have to buy and plant the bushes now, but they'll grow quite fast and in time for next year). However, with the great weather we've had this spring, mine are all ready to bloom now, sadly, too early for Mother's Day

Rose bushes, buy them and plant them soon. Some start blooming in May, then through the summer. Try to get ones that are long stemmed or tea roses, the climbers often only bloom once, then not again all summer.

Lilly of the valley blooms in May here, and spreads like crazy. Provide a part sun/part shade spot, and I'd plant them in front of taller flowers. You probably want about 20-30 "pips", or starts, then by next year it will be 1 1/2 or 2 times that number.

Daisies, peonies, day lillies, bleeding hearts, hydrangeas can all bloom in May, depending on the weather.

I have a large hydrangea bush (Incrediball) and white lilac bush on order from this website:
    www.whiteflowerfarm.com. If you order now, you'll get them (and any other things you want) in time to plant them soon and wait for them.

I also have stargazer lillies, but they usually are ready to bloom around June or July I recall.

Make sure to use fertilizer this year and next spring

Good luck.

• Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, just got done in my rock garden planting Irish moss, which is a perennial. It "took" last year, but during the winter it can get brown, then comes back. It gets very tiny, pretty white flowers on it.

Not sure if you have a rock garden, or any bricks that you might want to use this for. Just make sure it's no where near where the lawn mower goes, LOL.
  • Options
    AlisonM304AlisonM304 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I beat you all in the long time away department... BUT

Since you're in Milwaukee (I am as well), try going to Stein's or Milaeger's (Racine area). The people at those two places are super helpful and knowledgable!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards