Second Weddings
Options

His 2nd Marriage..Not Enough Time for An Annulment..Who can marry us??!!!

Its his second marriage and my first marriage. I've always wanted to get married in a catholic church, but since he was his first time around we most likely can not now. We got the papers to start his annulment in the mail the other day to find out it will cost us around $800 and will most likely take UP TO A YEAR!!

We are already planning our wedding and do not have the extra money/or time to do the annulment. So now our dilemma is what type of officiant can marry us??

Re: His 2nd Marriage..Not Enough Time for An Annulment..Who can marry us??!!!

• Options
    nmauser82nmauser82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Any civil officiant can perform the legal ceremony. Most will even include religious elements if you want them to. It just won't be in a catholic church, or recognized by the catholic church. Some other protestant religions might also be willing to marry you in their church but it will probably involve converting.

we went through the same thing. At first he wanted to be married in the catholic church, but for various reasons we decided not to go through with my annulment. It mostly came down to the time and expense of it. And the whole dredging up of old hurtful past experiences part didn't really thrill me. I was lucky in that he was completely understanding and cool with it. Now we are planning a beautiful ceremony outdoors with a civil officiant.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We never even considered an annulment (for our own reasons, money and time weren't a problem).  We were married in a historic non-denominational church by a Protestant minister who is my DH's cousin.  Your local board will be a better resource for finding an officiant.  And google "wedding officiant in (your area)" and you will also find some possibilities. ~Donna
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you soooo much!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Protestant preachers would be able to do so, or you can always have a friend get ordained online.  You shouldn't have to convert for a protestant preacher to marry you. 
  • Options
    MuddyInsigniaMuddyInsignia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would also recommend an Episcopalian priest. The service is nearly identical, and most Episcopalian priests would be willing to marry 2 catholics without an annulment. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am in a similar situation. I am waiting on an annulment so we can marry int he church. What we are doing is getting married by a civil officiant. (many are online) When the annulment goes through we will be married in the church in a small ceremony with only my sisters and parents attending.

Just look in the phone book or online, there are many people able to marry you.
  • Options
    used2bangelused2bangel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Protestant ceremonies are pretty much identical to Catholic ceremonies, minus the communion and a few little details.  I know here many people in your situation get married in either the Methodist Church or the Episcopalian church.  We Protestants are generally not adamant about conversion.
  • Options
    IRRWMIRRWM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depends on whether the "wedding" or the marriage is most important.  I too was in a similar situation; both of us married before and Catholic.  We had a little "wedding" with a Unity minister outside, which was a civil ceremony with some religious overtones.  Four years later after our annullments we had our marriage blessed in the church.  My family is not Catholic, so we did not have Mass, but this ceremony sure felt like the real thing and it is the marriage that counts...not the show.  That was 24 years ago....it was a budget production, and I still want a white dress, but am planning a tiny little vow renewal next year on our 25th, and we will have the priest bless us, attend church, and  am planning a romantic little picnic where we had the first ceremony.  And a simple white cotton sundress will satisfy that need...four years from now we will have the anniversary dinner/reception we couldn;t afford...so, over time we will have it all.  Mostly, I have a wonderful husband, and the marriage is what really matters.  Good luck and God bless.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards