New Jersey

Please take a look and give me your thoughts (invite wording)...

I still have A LOT of time before all of this has to be finalized, but I'm playing around with my DIY invites and I'd like your thoughts on the wording... especially regarding the quote at the top because it's in the first person wheras the invitation information is in third person.  Even though the quote is in quotation marks, does it still seem weird? 

Please keep in mind that capitalization and formatting aren't an issue right now (it all looks different on the actual nice copy)... I'm just looking for insight about the wording.

TIA!!

“This day I will marry my best friend,

The one I laugh with, live for, dream with, love”

Together with their parents

Bride’s Name

and

Groom’s Name

Invite you to join in the celebration of their marriage

On Sunday, the seventeenth of July

Two thousand eleven

At three thirty in the afternoon

The Manor

111 Prospect Avenue ● West Orange, NJ

~ Cocktail hour and reception to follow ~

image 182 Invited
image 0 Are ready to party!
image 0 Will be missing the fun
image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Please take a look and give me your thoughts (invite wording)...

• uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why isn't capitalization an issue?  I see a lot of upper case that I would do lower case.

My only nit otherwise is that there should be a comma after "Together with their parents"

I don't think the quote is odd, or even needs to be in quotation marks.  It is famous enough that people will get that it isn't your words.
  • edited December 2011
    Capitalization isn't an issue right now because I'm going to be doing small caps on the actual invite, but in order for it to not look like complete crap without the small caps I wanted to capitalize the start of each line to make it easier for everyone to read.

No worries!  I'm a language arts teacher with a major in English, so I have it covered.  :-)

Yes!  The comma... thank you! 

If you don't think the quote seems weird, then I'll keep it, but I think I'm going to keep it in quotation marks just so it stands out a little more from the rest of the invite. 
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    about the comma-- and I teach English too-- yes, the comma would be needed...if it wasn't an invite.  If you look at a lot of invites, you won't find the comma.  I asked around and apparently, the comma isn't used because each line indicates a pause.  Still, others will argue with me and I don't think that it matters either way. 
  • edited December 2011
    I think I like the comma being there from an English teacher perspective, haha! 

A lot of invites also have the year with "and" and I can't stand looking at that (though I know it's a British vs. American issue)!  Tongue out
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with you!  It is Two Thousand Ten not Two Thousand AND Ten--- that would mean this 2000.10!  But only we teachers worry about such things!  And I would use the comma too!
  • felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it looks good.  I am one of those people who did Two Thousand AND Ten, I just never even thought about it. And actually didn't see anything about it here until after I printed them, but I just wasn't that worried about it.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards