Oregon

Officiant?

I previously posted on finding a ceremony site and we have had success!  We have chosen to have our ceremony at the Brooks Hill Historic Church.  The next step is finding someone to officiate it.  I grew up Catholic and my fiancee did not grow up in an organized religion or church.  I know it is a looooong shot given the rules within the Catholic Church, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a retired priest or deacon who would be willing to officiate our ceremony and bless our marriage.  I've already spoken with the parish I live by, but thought I would try the boards as well!
Thanks!

Re: Officiant?

• edited December 2011
    rentapriest.com

not kidding
  • edited December 2011
    Kevin Yell. He's amazing, and he's American Catholic (a bit looser rules than Roman Catholic). I had the same problem - my entire family is Catholic, but we didn't want a Catholic wedding. He's going to start with the sign of the cross to satisfy the parents / grandparents, etc, but keep the ceremony non-denominational. And if you wanted to later get the marriage validated by the Catholic Church - one word for you --> Convalidation. http://www.idotaketwo.com/marriage-convalidation.html

This is where the priest signs off on your ceremony, and you can request it. They can't refuse it as long as you follow the rules during the convalidation process, but it keeps you from having to the ceremony in a church and incorporating a mass....but it doesn't look super easy to complete.

Kevin is really helpful, open and wonderful to talk to. My fiance and I adore him. You can contact him through the Ainsworth House. Hope this helps. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards