Wedding Reception Forum

TIme Between Wedding and Reception?

Now I've read alot of what people have commented on similar questions but mine is a little different. We are planning a Halloween themed Reception but the wedding will just be that nothing themed. The Wedding will be about a hour away from the reception hall and i was think of leaving a big gap in time between the two for people to change into costumes and get ready to party and also for set up of the reception, do you think that is a good idea or not?

Thanks!

Re: TIme Between Wedding and Reception?

• i'm not a fan of the huge gap. I went to a wedding in NY with a 5 hour gap... holy crap. I was so bored, I even helped them set stuff up at the reception hall because FI was a groomsman. But they had a good reason... they were cooking chicken bbq, it took 4 hours to cook enought chicken for 300 people.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not really a fan of the gap or an hour drive.  Is there a reason they can't be closer together?  That almost tells guests not to attend one or the other.
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2011
    With a gap and an hour drive, there is no way I'd come to both the ceremony and the reception.  

Why can't they be near each other?  And really, it is pretty rude to expect your guests to get ready, come to the ceremony, then go back home, get ready in a new outfit, and then drive to the reception.  For just my husband and me, this would be a hassle.  But for guests with kids or older guests or those that live a little further out, this would be absolutely ridiculous.  

If you are encouraging people to wear costumes, you should encourage them to wear them to the whole thing.  
  • Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2011
    Is the ceremony location local? Or is it also an hour away from people's homes? If it's still local, it's not necessary to have a huge gap, just enough time to change clothes and get to the reception. I KNOW gaps aren't popular around here, but I think as a guest, I would def want time to change into a costume. IMO a Halloween themed ceremony is a bit strange (which is why I think OP plans only for the reception to be themed) so I wouldn't be in costume for that but I would be very annoyed if I didn't have a chance to change before heading to the reception. HOWEVER, if the gap is still in issue, is there a possibility that maybe people have somewhere to change at the reception?? Like changing rooms, or hotel rooms? I know that sounds strange to change at the reception place, but as a guest if I weren't given time to change I'd at least appreciate a place to change once we arrive. Good luck! :)

**ETA: Just curious, are all your guests into costumes and halloween themes? In my post I responded assuming that you already know they're all pumped about costumes and themes. Though after reading a few other posts, I realized I had completely forgotten about asking. If only a small portion of your guests will get really into it, then I would say that could change a few things. So I just wanted to know..
  • unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    hmm i find it more weird that i would need two outfits for your wedding. i don't think you can expect people to have formal wear for your ceremony and then have a halloween costume to change into. i think with this situation you will be people going to one or the other not both. as well i don't know if everyone that goes to the ceremony will change into a costume. i saw a couple do the same thing on tv where the ceremony was not themed and the reception was themed halloween. it seemed like they did not have a gap and they did not ask their guests to change into costumes. all their decor was halloween themed and the couple changed and maybe WP but i think that was it. for everyone to enjoy themselves and for more people to come i would suggest the same. have the smallest gap as possible, have halloween decor for reception, and just have costumes for reception as optional. or maybe you can raid a dollar or discount store and buy a bunch of masks, boas, and other cheap halloween costume accessories and people can just pick something they want to wear. this way they can feel part of the theme but don't have to bring a whole other outfit.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_time-between-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:4d5d312c-d818-4cbb-805b-151d6cbd38f7Post:ff981565-34f7-47b1-bc20-d4860a517f3c">TIme Between Wedding and Reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Now I've read alot of what people have commented on similar questions but mine is a little different. We are planning a Halloween themed Reception but the wedding will just be that nothing themed. The Wedding will be about a hour away from the reception hall and i was think of leaving a big gap in time between the two for people to change into costumes and get ready to party and also for set up of the reception, do you think that is a good idea or not? Thanks!
    Posted by actingdarling13[/QUOTE]

Not a good idea.  First an hour distance between the wedding venue and the reception is too far.  Second, you need to eliminate the gap by hiring people to set up the reception during the ceremony.  There's no need to make your guests wait while the reception is being decorated/set up.  Third, you can have a Halloween themed reception without expecting or asking people to dress up.  They should be able to attend both the wedding and the reception in the same outfit.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• No, I don't really think that any part of it is a good idea.  I'm not in favor of making people travel an hour between venues.  I'm not in favor of a huge gap. 

Why won't the reception venue be set up already?  Set it up in the morning.  Set it up the night before.  Hire someone else to set it up.

And I'm not in favor of making your guests change into Halloween costumes for your reception.  By all means, use your Halloween theme:  CPs, decorations, guest book, etc.  But don't expect your guests to get into costumes as well.

Good luck.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • PPs are right.

An hour drive is quite a bit to expect from guests.  Many will come to either one or the other.  Expect a lot of no-shows at your reception.  Having an even larger gap between events will exacerbate your no-show rate.  Some people might make it to the ceremony and then once they get home to "change", they won't bother to go back out again.  There may be others that won't bother with the ceremony (the most important part) and just show up to the reception.  And if you have OOT guests, that's going to inconvenience them a lot.

About the expectation for guests to change outfits, please don't do this.  It's bad enough that the locations are an hour away from each other.  They shouldn't also be expected to be inconvenienced further by being expected to change into costumes.

If you want to set up the reception location, do it prior to the ceremony (like the night before or earlier the day of) or hire someone to do it.  Check out the local high schools or colleges, I'm sure you'll find students willing to do it for cheaper than if you hired a company to do it.
  • I would provide costumes/props at the reception for your guests. 

-top hats
    -fascinators
    -tiaras
    -butterfly and bat wings
    -devil horns
    -stick on mustaches
    -Groucho Marx glasses

Maybe hire a face painter too for the reception. 

But don't force your guests to buy a costume just to attend your reception an hour away. 
    "I liked it, so I put a ring on it" - future Mr. Box
  • Is there any possibility that you can do the ceremony at the reception site and maybe have a 30 minute gap for people to chat and change if they so desire? Unless you were to hire a bus to transport guests, an hour is a super long way to drive considering everyone is probably going to be dressed up. And as a more out there thought, they already bought you a gift, so two extra hours of driving on top of what they already spent on the gifts and possibly a nice outfit for your wedding, that's a lot more in gas. 

As for the gap, even when it's at the same venue, a friend of mine didn't want her FI to see the dress before the day, so they did all the pictures in between the ceremony and reception, so people were just waiting around, and people (especially those with kids) started leaving. 

Not that I don't like the idea as a whole, but people are there to celebrate with you on your special day, and they've already done stuff for you, but no one is going to remember how awesome the dinner and costumes were if they are pissed about having to drive two extra hours and wait all day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "Love? above all things I believe in love. Love is like oxygen. Love is a many splendored thing. Love lifts us up where we belong... All you need is love!" - Moulin Rouge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgs44BVIMnU
  • I know your probably dead set on both your locations so Im not going to be one of those obnoxious people telling you to change venues. Maybe leave a 30-60 minute gap (so 1.5-2 hours between). And provide somewhere to change at the reception site for those who dont want to go home, also if possible provide some small entertainment for those who do show up early. If there is no rooms for them to change in, or if they are not allowed in the building yet maybe provide a small tent or those old fashion screen change rooms things (sorry brain fart on the name) (if its not freezing where you are). You can also provide some props for those who didnt want to fully dress up because we all know a few party poopers :P.
    Pumpernickel and olive juice
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_time-between-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:4d5d312c-d818-4cbb-805b-151d6cbd38f7Post:18d4626c-dd1f-46c7-b6c3-9fbf8b303348">Re: TIme Between Wedding and Reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know your probably dead set on both your locations so <strong>Im not going to be one of those obnoxious people telling you to change venues.</strong> Maybe leave a 30-60 minute gap (so 1.5-2 hours between). And provide somewhere to change at the reception site for those who dont want to go home, also if possible provide some small entertainment for those who do show up early. If there is no rooms for them to change in, or if they are not allowed in the building yet maybe provide a small tent or those old fashion screen change rooms things (sorry brain fart on the name) (if its not freezing where you are). You can also provide some props for those who didnt want to fully dress up because we all know a few party poopers :P.
    Posted by rascal17[/QUOTE]

Why are those of us who are telling her to be considerate of her guests obnoxious?  And why is someone who doesn't want to change into a costume a party pooper?  Again....it's about the comfort level of her guests?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_time-between-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:4d5d312c-d818-4cbb-805b-151d6cbd38f7Post:18d4626c-dd1f-46c7-b6c3-9fbf8b303348">Re: TIme Between Wedding and Reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I know your probably dead set on both your locations so Im not going to be one of those obnoxious people telling you to change venues.</strong> Maybe leave a 30-60 minute gap (so 1.5-2 hours between). And provide somewhere to change at the reception site for those who dont want to go home, also if possible provide some small entertainment for those who do show up early. If there is no rooms for them to change in, or if they are not allowed in the building yet maybe provide a small tent or those old fashion screen change rooms things (sorry brain fart on the name) (if its not freezing where you are). You can also provide some props for those who didnt want to fully dress up because we all know a few party poopers :P.

Just because your feelings got hurt on the outdoor weddings board doesn't mean you need to bring the attitude to another thread.  If you have something else to add to that thread, say it there.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Rascal, it's completely inappropriate to insult me. I've given advice and I can do so without hurling insults. I'd like to ask you to do the same. If you don't want to do so then re-think that membership to The Knot since you're violating it's membership terms.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_time-between-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:4d5d312c-d818-4cbb-805b-151d6cbd38f7Post:18d4626c-dd1f-46c7-b6c3-9fbf8b303348">Re: TIme Between Wedding and Reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know your probably dead set on both your locations so Im not going to be one of those obnoxious people telling you to change venues. Maybe leave a 30-60 minute gap (so 1.5-2 hours between). And provide somewhere to change at the reception site for those who dont want to go home, also if possible provide some small entertainment for those who do show up early. If there is no rooms for them to change in, or if they are not allowed in the building yet maybe provide a small tent or those old fashion screen change rooms things (sorry brain fart on the name) (if its not freezing where you are). You can also provide some props for those who didnt want to fully dress up because we all know a few party poopers :P.

I can only guess that I'm one of those obnoxious people rascal is talking about from the Outdoor Weddings board since I'm so adament and have commented numerous times on her thread about how rude it is to expect all but 10 guests to sit on the ground during her ceremony in a park.
    . Anniversary aandt image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards