Gay Weddings
Options

Spouses? Partners? what are you being pronounced at end of ceremony?

I am having a hard time sorting out the husband/wife terms - what terms are you using in your ceremony instead? Do you still refer to her as your wife, partner, spouse, or some other suggestion? 
Partner, to me, sounds like what we have been before the actual legal marriage, so I don't want to keep using partner.
Any suggestions?

Re: Spouses? Partners? what are you being pronounced at end of ceremony?

• Options
    Fabi&NitaFabi&Nita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are also working on what we want to be pronounced but we both know we want to call eachother wife, partner to me sounds like want you said. We may just say wife and wife but I'm still looking for other options
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker It's a Girl!! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    AmiDeniseAmiDenise member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're being pronounced wife and wife, then we're wearing Mrs & Mrs shirts while we tour DC. :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    sciostarbugsciostarbug member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm. I've been thinking about this too. Havent quite figured out how we, personallly,are going to do it, if we do it at all.

Anyway, who says you have to be 'pronounced' at the end of the ceremony? Just food for thought :)
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here is what we used:

"Now by the authority vested in me by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and in the presence of these witnesses, I declare you married under the laws of Massachusetts and the traditions of Moses and of Israel, and join with this happy company in wishing you every success and every joy in the days ahead."

I definitely did not want to use "partners."  We had waited for nine years after we became partners to be able to be legally married, so we did not want to use a term that suggested that there was no difference.

We do use "wife" to refer to each other now.
  • Options
    K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm awaiting options for our announcement at the end of the ceremony from our priest since we're getting a civil union and not getting "married" technically it adds another level of confusion. I will refer to my FI as my wife after the wedding. I have never liked the term "partner", it sounds like you own a business together, not share a bed lol.

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are being pronounced studsband and wife lol. My fiance thinks she is the closest to being a man so this was an easy fix.

i finally found the one!
    blog post photo

• Options
    edited December 2011

Wife and wife and that's the only way I would have it. :)  I have never really liked the term partner.

Wife-n-Wife 8/13/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My partner and I are getting married in less than one month. We are saying "spouses for life"
  • Options
    nicknuttncnicknuttnc member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going to be called partners for life.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married April 1st in DC and then again April 16th in North Carolina.  At our NC wedding, we're going to be pronounced "Mrs and Mrs ____" but we're having trouble settling on a last name 100%!
  • Options
    alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we were pronounced 'married", but I do like wife and wife :)

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really like the terms wife and wife. Or "I now pronounce you committed for life" (Since I'm in a state that doesn't legally recognize.)

We could always go with "Melissa, I now pronounce you the luckiest woman on the planet." She's my everything. 
    Married my soulmate on 10.1.11; One furbaby, Emma the cat; Madly in love and Just starting our journey on the TTC path! Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    "I now prounounce you married for life!" is my first choice currently.

Two brides. Two dresses. One wedding. See what happens when Brides Collide.
    Our Planning Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I think i'm liking the "i now prounounce you married, you may kiss your Bride."

• Options
    KalithiaKalithia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm thinking we could have them say "I now pronounce the Mrss Melvins!
  • Options
    jessporrasjessporras member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're going with wife and wife!  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My wifeand I married last year and we were pronounced as partners in life, for life and you may now kiss your wife!  :)

Carol McKnight
    www.euphoriaaffairs.com
  • Options
    We will call each other "wife" but we're simply being pronounced "married" at the end of our service. That's pretty traditional for our denomination anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards