Wedding Party

Fears - poll kind of

Ok Ladies, since work is excruciatingly slow and I can only look att he Pampered Chef Catalouge that a co-worked dropped on my desk, I figured I'd start a little poll.

What are you deathly afraid of? What makes you just stop in your tracks and not be able to function?

Any milder frears that you've been able to conquor? If so, how?

I am deathly afraid of tornados and railroad tracks, not trains, just the tracks. I've never been through a tornado, but I'm pretty sure I would lose my mind and not be able to get to a safe place. FI would probably have to drag me there.

As far as the railroad tracks go, I know they can't hurt me, but I think it's the fact that they represent an object or a scenario that could kill me. When we were younger we used to go to this park in the Metroparks in Cleveland and my family would always insist on walking on the railroad tracks. I hated it and would cry the whole time. All I could picture was my family getting stuck on the tracks and a train hurtling towards them. Strangely though, I don't have any problems crossing them in my car.

Re: Fears - poll kind of

• I have a terrible fear of scary movies.  I'm not scared of zombies or vampires or serial killers, but the idea of sitting down and watching Saw makes me want to pee in my pants.  Signs gave me nightmares for weeks.  I'm such a pansy.

The fear I overcame was public speaking.  Insert generic boring story here.  
  • They talked about this on the radio the other day, and I was so relieved I'm not alone.  I have this thing about cotton.  I'm not scared of it, but I hate touching it and just *already getting goosebumps thinking about it* can't deal with it.  Like pulling the cotton out of a medicine bottle is a problem.  I can do it, it just freaks me out. 

I have a huge fear of intruders.  Burglars, ghosts, whatever it is that could barge into my bedroom.  I've always had this fear, but it intensified in high school when we had an incident at home.  FI actually got home late a week or two ago, and I instantaneously woke up and had the instinct to yell out "hello?" because my first reaction was that someone was breaking in and that I would scare them off by letting them know I was there.  It was weird.  

• The only thing that will stop me in my tracks is a snake.  My brothers begged my parents for years to let them get a snake because I said I'd move in with the grandparents if that ever happened.

The smaller fear I conquered was failing.  That one was hard but if I hadn't forced myself to take risks, I wouldn't have the life I have today.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Fear of intruders - I forgot about that. I used to hate when my dad was out late some nights and we would go to bed before he got home. I would sit there and think of all of the ways someone could break into the house. Lucas is out of town Saturday and Sunday night. We'll see how that goes. It'll be the first time at the new house I'll be sleeping alone (well, not really alone, there's the 4 dogs).

I have also recently developed a fear of flying. I still get on planes though. I just get major anxiety and every little bit of turbulance freaks me out. I guess in general I have a fear of death. Anything that could kill me, I don't like. Lol.
  • I also think I"m starting to develop a fear of heights.  Every day I walk over the Chicago River, and there's this 1-inch gap where you can look straight down, probably 100-200 feet, to the water.  Some days I dare myself to look down the gap and it usually makes me a tiny bit dizzy.  
  • Spiders.  Big spiders/fast spiders/creepy looking spiders.  If it's a small spider, and it's on the floor, I can handle that.  If it's a small spider on the ceiling, no, I don't like that.

Also, heights.  Like I can't move type of scared.

Tornados.  I could function if there was a tornado bearing down on my house, but in the middle of the night if it is storming really bad, I usually can't sleep because I'm worried about a tornado.  If a loud truck goes by our house during a storm, I freak out and think it's a tornado.  I took a weather class in college, and have lots of general tornado knowledge, so that has helped lessen my fear. 

And last but not least, something happening to our house when H and I are not home.  I always worry about my cats.  Like what if there was a fire or tornado when I'm not home?  Who would help them?
  • I have arachnophobia...so you can imagine that this time of year is just wonderful for me. I don't go camping or hiking with DH because I'm terrified of them. I'm crazy about spraying my house for bugs all the time.  I went to my 4 yr old cousin's bday party last weekend and it was Spiderman themed. It was killing me. Also...I call it the S-word because just the actual name of Spider freaks me out. And yes, it took everything inside of me to actually type out that word and now i'm freaking out a little.

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_fears-poll-kind-of?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:03fc7880-0eb6-4943-ba02-a0452008ee63Post:3191899f-6293-4828-a8a1-5e02dec24882">Re: Fears - poll kind of</a>:
    [QUOTE]Spiders.  Big spiders/fast spiders/creepy looking spiders.  If it's a small spider, and it's on the floor, I can handle that.  If it's a small spider on the ceiling, no, I don't like that. Also, heights.  Like I can't move type of scared. Tornados.  I could function if there was a tornado bearing down on my house, but in the middle of the night if it is storming really bad, I usually can't sleep because I'm worried about a tornado.  If a loud truck goes by our house during a storm, I freak out and think it's a tornado.  I took a weather class in college, and have lots of general tornado knowledge, so that has helped lessen my fear. <strong> And last but not least, something happening to our house when H and I are not home.  I always worry about my cats.  Like what if there was a fire or tornado when I'm not home?  Who would help them?
    </strong>Posted by frogurt814[/QUOTE]

That reminds of the time Lucas and I were going to visit my dad and there was a nasty storm. We had just gotton on the interstate and a radio announcement came on that there was a tornado warning for our city (we were probably 20 miles out of it at that point). It totally freaked me out and I was like OMG the dogs! What'll happen if the house gets destroyed, they'll all run away! Luckily our friend was heading over there to spend the weekend with them anyway. All was fine, but that was pretty scary.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_fears-poll-kind-of?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:03fc7880-0eb6-4943-ba02-a0452008ee63Post:ca125fe9-2647-44e4-8a34-c98298977e28">Re: Fears - poll kind of</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have arachnophobia...so you can imagine that this time of year is just wonderful for me. I don't go camping or hiking with DH because I'm terrified of them. I'm crazy about spraying my house for bugs all the time.  I went to my 4 yr old cousin's bday party last weekend and it was Spiderman themed. It was killing me. Also...I call it the S-word because just the actual name of Spider freaks me out. And yes, it took everything inside of me to actually type out that word and now i'm freaking out a little.
    Posted by suz62984[/QUOTE]
    Sorry Suz. :(  I hate the S-word a lot too, but it sounds like you are even worse than me.  Thankfully, H always takes care of the S-words in our house, and our cats are pretty good about it too.

This reminds me that my brother hates vinegar so much that he calls it the v-word.  Just even saying the word vinegar, or typing it, or hearing it freaks him out.  Let alone smelling it.  He'd probably pass out.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_fears-poll-kind-of?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:03fc7880-0eb6-4943-ba02-a0452008ee63Post:3191899f-6293-4828-a8a1-5e02dec24882">Re: Fears - poll kind of</a>:
    [QUOTE]Spiders.  Big spiders/fast spiders/creepy looking spiders.  If it's a small spider, and it's on the floor, I can handle that.  If it's a small spider on the ceiling, no, I don't like that. Also, heights.  Like I can't move type of scared. Tornados.  I could function if there was a tornado bearing down on my house, but in the middle of the night if it is storming really bad, I usually can't sleep because I'm worried about a tornado.  If a loud truck goes by our house during a storm, I freak out and think it's a tornado.  I took a weather class in college, and have lots of general tornado knowledge, so that has helped lessen my fear.  And last but not least, something happening to our house when H and I are not home. <strong> I always worry about my cats.  Like what if there was a fire or tornado when I'm not home?  Who would help them?</strong>
    Posted by frogurt814[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I worry about that too!  One day I convinced myself I had left a brand new space heater on, so I had to go look up the model online and review all the safety features (shuts off if it overheats, shuts off if it tips) before I was okay.  I didn't even leave it on of course, but I was totally consumed by worry for most of the morning.

</div>
  • I remembered one day when I was half way to work that I left the ceiling fan on in our bedroom.  I turned around and went back home to turn it off.  I felt stupid afterwards.  It's a ceiling fan.  We use it all the time...it's never started a fire, why was I so freaked out about leaving it on?

I also have a fear that one of my cats will get in the washer or dryer when I'm not looking and then I will start it with them in there.  We have front loads.  So anyway, every time before I start the washer or dryer, I shut the doors, and make sure I know where both cats are before I start them.  I know it's kind of crazy, but whatever.
  • Frogurt - Your OP is freakin' me the heck out. "Big ones, fast ones, creepy ones"...ones on the ceiling. I'm looking everywhere now and trying to stay calm so the people at work don't think i'm nuts. haha

I'm surprised so many people are freaked out by intruders. I can't be afraid of that though. DH is gone a lot at night being a cop so I could easily freak out but I won't let myself. I just figure if the intruder can get into the house, past the two 70 lb dogs, and through the spray of hollow point bullets being fired at their head...they can have me, they've earned it.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_fears-poll-kind-of?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:03fc7880-0eb6-4943-ba02-a0452008ee63Post:b641dba3-b186-4bd9-bf61-b3c56cfc2670">Re: Fears - poll kind of</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fears - poll kind of : That reminds of the time Lucas and I were going to visit my dad and there was a nasty storm. We had just gotton on the interstate and a radio announcement came on that there was a tornado warning for our city (we were probably 20 miles out of it at that point). It totally freaked me out and I was like OMG the dogs! What'll happen if the house gets destroyed, they'll all run away! Luckily our friend was heading over there to spend the weekend with them anyway. All was fine, but that was pretty scary.
    Posted by mkrupar[/QUOTE]

I grew up in a tornado prone area - my cousin's neighborhood was hit once and a friend watched froma  Kroger's as a tornado went down the next couple of streets over. 

When the tornado warnings are put out everyone goes outside to look for it instead of taking immediate shelter.

I still remember when I was working at a TV station and the other two station's meteorologists were staying on air because tornadoes were coming.  Our guy was brand new from New Orleans and swore the others were overreacting and it would just be high winds.  About five of us stepped outside with him after the 11:00 news and froze in our tracks. "Uh..dude...you need to go back on air because there is a tornado coming.  Feel the air.  This is for real."  Tornado ripped though that night and our station was the laughing stock.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Oh I forgot fire. I've sort of overcame that but I guess it isn't really normal when I leave the house everyday thinking "Will this be the last time I see my DH and the dogs alive?" or every time the phone rings I immediately think "I hope that isn't the fire department telling me that the house burnt down and everyone is dead."  I'm not so scared if I'm there because I feel like I could help the dogs and DH if needed. I'm terrified of a fire starting and me not being there to do anything...it's a control thing(fear of losing control).
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_fears-poll-kind-of?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:03fc7880-0eb6-4943-ba02-a0452008ee63Post:312e7e95-aa6e-4817-b0c9-6fcad881a074">Re: Fears - poll kind of</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fears - poll kind of : I grew up in a tornado prone area - my cousin's neighborhood was hit once and a friend watched froma  Kroger's as a tornado went down the next couple of streets over.  When the tornado warnings are put out everyone goes outside to look for it instead of taking immediate shelter. I still remember when I was working at a TV station and the other two station's meteorologists were staying on air because tornadoes were coming.  Our guy was brand new from New Orleans and swore the others were overreacting and it would just be high winds.  About five of us stepped outside with him after the 11:00 news and froze in our tracks. "Uh..dude...you need to go back on air because there is a tornado coming.  Feel the air.  This is for real."  Tornado ripped though that night and our station was the laughing stock.
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]

I live in the mid-west so we are fairly prone to tornados.  One hit my SIL's town this summer.  Super scary.  I was watching the news when they called to ask me what was going on.  I was like "There's a tornado in your town!!!" They were like OMG, we are driving home and saw the tornado but thought there was no way it would be a tornado!"

Anyway, we have a walk out basement so I go to the basement if the storm is actually heading towards my house, and then I usually watch the sky from down there.
  • I'm deathly afraid of bees and needles.  I've never been stung, they just terrify me.  We used to get wasps that would nest in the Toontown sign, and yet the trains would still continue to operate.  I've never understood why, Jungle goes down for bees.  (Though if I'd been stuck out in a boat while we were down for bees, I'd be on the radio crying for someone to come get me, I don't care if I have to swim back to the dock.  Of course, that would have meant a tetanus shot, so I would basically have been screwed either way...)

I also apparently can't do the dentist anymore.  I did it as a kid, but the last time I went in for a checkup, I had a panic attack when they started poking me with the thingy that measures your gums.  I had to do the general anaesthesia, which the insurance company had the nerve to call elective and wouldn't pay for.  So I have to figure something out there.  I don't know, maybe I'll do hypnosis or something.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I completely freak out about people touching me.  I'm pretty good with people I know now (in HS by bf had to ask before he could hug me), but only if I know them well.  I actually cancelled a Dr. appointment once because the idea of someone touching me triggered a panic attack.  Then after I finally made it to a Dr. a few months later I had a panic attack there. 

I'm also terrified of flying, but I'll do it if I have to.  It's a combination of a fear of heights and the fact that half the time flying makes me VERY sick.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards