November 2012 Weddings

STD should or should not

I know that this is almost coming to late, but how important are save the dates.  I was thinking that they are important, but mostly everyone that is important to know already knows the date.  The less important guests ( the ones we are questionable about inviting) are the only ones that do not currently know.  We have a November 24 wedding and was planning on sending out the invitations the middle of September to give people ample time to respond.  We were thinking about doing them but then recent budget concerns kind is making us rethink about it.

Re: STD should or should not

• Hi

We are not doing STDs for the same reason - everybody knows we are getting married anyhow and for those who don't know, ie: they live far away and probably weren't going to come home anyway to the wedding, well they just won't come but they'll get an invite anyhow.  We are doing Nov 17th, invites will go out hopefully sometime in August.  If there was somebody who you felt may not have gotten the wedding date gossip, just shoot them an email!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • Being that your date is Thanksgiving week, I think it would be a good idea to let them know if you actually want them there. You can get postcard STDs on Vistaprint for pretty cheap. And I've heard if you leave them in your cart for a couple of days they'll discount them to try to get you to buy. Just a thought.
    "When life hands you lemons, make a beef stew." Andy Milinokis
  • We're 11/24 too and since it's Thanksgiving weekend we sent them out. I typically think STDs are a waste of money, but since it's a holiday weekend we wanted to give people enough notice (and a card with the date on the fridge is a helpful reminder) so they  could plan ahead and avoid paying through the nose for travel that weekend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    November 2012 October Siggy - The Venue!
    imageVilla
  • We only sent out Save the Dates because almost all of our guests are traveling. That and, even people we have told 5+ the date and time, they still keep asking if we had set a date. I don't think it is too late to send them.
    A and B
    Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kfraskfras member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    If budget is a concern try sending out an email save the date? You can build one on a site like you were going to print it but instead save the image and email it as an attachment. I know it is better to send a physical STD (and magnets are great...we did them) but it is another option if your concern is getting the word out. We are Nov. 24th too! Weirdly, we got one reply to FMIL from one of her relatives after we sent STDs saying she would not be able to attend because since she works in retail there is "no way" she can take off Black Friday weekend (I love how this has turned into a whole weekend now.. I didn't think it would be a big deal since we are giving people AMPLE advance notice). Anyway, email STDs are an option. Then you can include any additional info in there that you would like. The only problem with that is having to get everyone's email addresses and if there are any people who don't have computers or use email...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I sent save the dates but I don't think they are necessary.  Especially if everyone already knows.  I did a physical std and a FB save the date (my close family got the news we were getting married so they already have the date saved).  

However, i think std can be helpful.  I have already gotten about 15 or 16 rsvp's from save the dates alone (one person that can't make it...which will save me from sending that person an actual invitation).  My date is the 25thl, and I have a few oot guests coming (all my family mainly), so I wanted to give them time to plan and save.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I agree with kfras. If budget is a concern, look into doing an email STD. I believe The Knot has an email STD option in their planner. If you have a website setup, you can direct them to your website as well for easy access and information.

We mainly sent STD's to immediate family and those coming from out of town that would be traveling. Also, as others have said, since your wedding is Thanksgiving weekend, it would be more of a courtesy for those having to travel that weekend, so they can plan ahead.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you decide to do them I don't think it's too late as long as you can get them out soon. My wedding is November 3rd and we just mailed our yesterday. We decided we needed to do save the dates because almost half of our guests are out of town and in order to get the best flight prices they may wish to book tickets prior to receiving invitations.
  • We decided to send them out but originally we were not going to, mine are on the way and i spend 20 dollars on them! super cheap!
  • ria77ria77 member
    First Comment
    We originally weren't going to do save the dates for financial reasons. Although I did want to just because we are getting married in November and I am inviting several family members from out of state that I'm not necessarily in constant contact with. I found DIY save the date magnets at Michaels, I was able to print them up myself and had my save the dates for approx $30. They turned out beautifully.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards