Second Weddings

Second wedding...nontraditional with no processional. Opinions please.

Our background information, my second wedding, his second wedding. Between us we have 3 children, 11 and 9 year old girls, and a 6 year old boy.  We' re planning a small/casual style wedding in my parent's backyard. (Think mason jars, daisies, BBQ, burgers and hot dogs, etc.) There's a million things I'm not sure about at this moment as far as dress, etc. We have decided the only bridal party we are having will be our children. His two will stand on his side, mine will stand on mine. (Very nontraditional, but this is the only aspect that he insists on...basically two families uniting). My big question is, I do not want to "walk down the isle". Don't ask me why. It's not so much the fact it;'s my second wedding. It's more the fact that the idea of all those eyes (no matter how lovingly!!) on me literally makes me queasy. My first wedding I honestly felt I was going to pass out from being so nervous. So, what I'm thinking I would like to do, is meet all the guests (my fiance and I) as they arrive...like maybe by a table set up for champagne or another drink, have them take a seat. When everyone has arrived (small wedding maybe 40 people including our families), have my sister make a toast to us as a couple and announce the start of the wedding while him and I take our places for the ceremony with our children. Then after our vows move on to more drinks and dinner, etc. Also, I should also say, I was kind of hoping to do away with the isle altogether and put the tables in a circle and have our arch or ceremony site in the middle.
While I know this is not traditional, I'm hoping to get a few opinions on how others would percieve it. As an okay idea, a nice idea, or just plain not right. Thank you so much for your help in advance!
~Once in a while, in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairytale~ Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Second wedding...nontraditional with no processional. Opinions please.

• Sounds lovely.  Another long time ago SW bride had their new family of 6 enter the ceremony site (similar to yours, a semicircle of family & friends) holding hands together. Bride & Groom held hands and each of their children were on the same side.   I always loved that imagery.  ~Donna
  • I think that is a perfect answer, and obviously one that you have thought about and makes sense to you. There is no right or wrong way for any wedding, first or second or more. I think most of the brides here feel that you should do what YOU both want and not worry so much about how it will be perceived.

Congrats and good luck.

PS: you can wear whatever you want to also. I've seen lovely casual dresses in white, something others might wear to a shower or rehearsal dinner, if you want casual. If you want a long white dress, it might not match your image of a casual BBQ type affair, but go for it if that's what you want.
  • I'm not really crazy about walking down the isle again either, but I'm considering walking down the isle with Keith instead of meeting him at the front.  Dad gave me away once and I'm not sure that would be appropriate a second time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards