Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Invitation wording to NOT bring children under a certain age

I'm trying to save money, and one suggestion was to exclude children under a certain age from the reception. I am having a cocktail reception (full dinner, but cocktail style) so I don't think most children would last very long anyway. How do I word the invitation to not offend people, but ask/tell them not to bring children under a certain age? For out of town guests, I'd like to offer babysitting services at my parents house, any suggestions for wording that too?

Re: Invitation wording to NOT bring children under a certain age

• Options
    If you're doing inner envelopes, simply do not include the names of the children you are not inviting. If they aren't on the invitation, they aren't invited.

On the accompanying insert that has all the other logistical info, put something like "As we are having an evening ceremony and late reception, we will not be able to accomodate children under X years of age for either the ceremony or the reception. Babysitting services will be available at the home of XX for out of town guests with children in tow. We appreciate your understanding!"

• Options
    It's rude to point out who is NOT invited. Include the names of those you ARE inviting on the invitation. But be careful - you might be splitting families with an age limit younger than 18, and some parents might decline anyway. You can also do custom RSVP cards with the name of each person who is invited, and a way for them to check "accepts" or "declines" individually, so they aren't able to easily add their children to the RSVP. If they do add children, you need to call and politely explain that you aren't able to accomodate children.

You can offer babysitting services, but some parents might be uncomfortable leaving their children with strangers, so you can't require them to shuffle their kids into another room. If the kids ARE invited, you can have a kids' room with games, coloring books, maybe a movie. But again, you can't say "the kids can ONLY stay in that room."

I would just invite adults and then follow up with out of town parents through a phone call or email. Let them know you'll be happy to research and recommend babysitters if they would like.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    You don't ever mention anything about "adults only or only those over 13" on or in the invitation.  That's rude.  Address the invitation only to those invited.  You can even put the names of those invited on the RSVP to make it even more clear.  

If you want to put something about babysitting, you could put an insert and say "Child care will be available at the home of X during the event.  Please contact X for more details."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards