Delaware

For Sale Sticky

Hey girls, I need your opinion on something.

I want to know if y'all think we should put a sticky at the top of the page where us DE brides (and maybe a few from PA) with stuff for sale can post about our F/S stuff, or put a link to our F/S stuff.

The whole idea is whether or not to make a sticky to consolidate For Sale posts and Do You Have Anything For Sale posts. 
It allows girls to see exactly what is for sale, instead of searching each individual bio or searching the board for the for sale posts. 
It also allows them to go to their local board for F/S stuff, instead of the national board- which saves them shipping money and me a trip to the post office or UPS, especially if they are willing to pick up. 
It allows girls to have first dibs on something, instead of constantly watching the national boards trying to get items.
It also gives girls who have stuff for sale a chance to let it be known that you have stuff- instead of putting it in your bio and waiting for girls to ask.

Many of the other local boards have them as well.

If you have questions, or think of a reason we should or shouldn't do this on the DE board, please post below- I want any and all opinions on this!

Re: For Sale Sticky

• edited December 2011
    I think that's a great idea because I want to sell my ribbon pomanders and fans and extra fabric, but I'm not packing all of that stuff up in a giant box and shipping it to CA.  It would be much easier to find someone local.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Mattsbride10Mattsbride10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ditto great idea!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JayElleJayCeeJayElleJayCee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i love this idea. good thinking MBR!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • lunakahlualunakahlua member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love this idea!
  • Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like it for us but if every location starts doing this, we will not have the national board and the opportunity to purchase items that are not local. 
  • edited December 2011
    Like I said on the Philly board, the national boards are not going anywhere, including the classified board.  TK is not known for removing and creating boards at whims. 

Once I have offered the girls here and on the Philly board first dibs, I will offer it up to girls on the two national boards.  But the problem that many brides who are searching for items have been having is that stuff disappears so quickly off the national boards, they don't get an oppurtunity to buy- so they then either have to a) pay full price for it, or b) spend hours upon hours combing the two national boards looking for what they need, or c) go search their local boards for stuff for sale.

For Sale bios have existed well before I was even on TK.  Most brides, for as long as the knot has had a community, have bought from local "wifes" first, and the same is true vice versa, "wifes" have sold to the locals first before selling it on the national boards.

This won't take away from the national boards; it won't change anything on any of the local pages except a) make it easier for local brides to find deals that they want (I was just a bride, trust me, I scoured local bios), b) not clutter up the board with "For Sale" posts and "Are you selling anything?" posts, and c) make it so that everyone doesn't have to go searching for F/S posts and brides looking to buy posts.

Remember, those "wifes" were brides once too, and understand how most brides want to save money.  They also understand, having been there, that if they can find it close to home, you pay less, since you don't pay for shipping.  I don't want to drive to the store to stand in line to ship something to CA any more than that bride in CA wants to pay for shipping; if she is buying from me, I can almost guarantee that she has tried to find it closer to home.

Also remember- one of these days, you are going to be a "wife", and will most likely want to sell items to new brides; you will see what I mean by all of this when you reach that point.  Also remember- these boards are geared towards brides, but can't exist without the help of the newly married brides.  How do you think anyone would get vendor recs, etc?  They wouldn't.

And quite frankly, while I am married and a wife now, I still consider myself a newly married bride.  I haven't even been married a month; it's still the honeymoon, baby!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did not mean that the national board would be removed as much as I meant that the "wifes" will post it on the local board INSTEAD of the national boards.  Given how slow this board is (sorry DE brides-I am one too and am not very regular) I would hate to be limited to my local area and would GLADLY pay shipping to have the opportunity to purchase bubbles at 50% off from California since it might not be posted locally for quite awhile. There re not very many, if any, sale posts on this board.

This was simply my opinion since we were asked for it. I hate to feel "pounced on" for simply stating my opinion.  It really makes a person NOT want to participate on these boards.  Funny enough, I am not the only one who has felt this way.

Hopefully this was just a misunderstood post and the intention was not as harsh as it seemed to have been written...
  • edited December 2011
    I understand where you are coming from; it just seemed that you were pouncing on this board for being slow/for being a local board instead of being a national board.

While you feel this way, it seems the marjority feel that a for sale post would be helpful.  I plan on instituting it, especially since I didn't ask the question on just this board, but on the Moderator board as well, and many of the other local boards have For Sale stickies.

I am sorry if you feel this will pull away; thoughts from above and the many years these board have been in place have shown that won't happen, and that is what I am trying to convey to you.  While you may have felt pounced on, I (as a recent "wife") felt pounced on for being a wife instead of a bride.  If it were not for the wifes before me, i wouldn't have learned all I needed to learn as a bride, and that revolution will always continue.  I felt very singled out, as I am sure there are other wives who felt that way, too.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It was an obvious misunderstanding because it was not meant as an insult.  As I stated, I am not an everyday regular and therefore I, too, contribute to this being a slow board plus we are a fairly tiny stateSmile.  Being insulted is not the way to encourage participation though.  For example-placing "wifes" in quotes.  That was uncalled for but understandable since you felt personally attacked. I call the recently married women wives because they are and it distinguishes them from being a bride to be.

I do agree that wives contribute a significant amount to the boards and counted on for advice.  There have been several posts just asking advice would are amazing to take tips from.

Regardless, I am glad that we both understand each other's view points and this matter has been laid to rest. I would like to see a tips and advice sticky on the board to take advantage of the experiences everyone has had for their weddings.
  • edited December 2011
    Laid to rest, and behind us Smile

Your idea for an advice sticky (like the one on the Philly board, I am assuming?) is a great idea.  I will do another poll and see what the other girls think as well!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL-I never noticed it on Philly until you posted this
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards