Christian Weddings
Options

QOTW - Week of 7/3/2011 - Unity Ceremony

Did you or will you have a unity ceremony in your wedding?  For example, a unity candle, unity sand, God's Knot, etc.?

Will there be music playing in the background?  If so, what song?

Re: QOTW - Week of 7/3/2011 - Unity Ceremony

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing God's Knot (the Cord of Three Strands). One of my BM's, who is pursuing theater, is singing a duet with my pastor's husband. They are singing "When God Made You" by Newsong and Natalie Grant. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI and I are doing unity sand.  We have no idea what will be playing in the background.  We have a friend who plays violin, and I might ask her to play during the unity sand ceremony.  If not, we'll probably pick a song and have the DJ play it.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We did the Cord of Three Strands.  My worship pastor played/sang "Love Never Fails" by Brandon Heath.

• Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're not doing one.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We meant to do the cord of three strands but I didn't know where it was when it came to that point in the ceremony.  We would have done it while my sister was reading the Ecclesiastes scripture and talking about the significance of the strands.
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did a candle.  We chose not to blow out our tapers because we wanted to show that we are both still our own people, but creating a new family too.  We did the candle, signed our marriage certificate, and took communion (serving each other) while my cousin and her husband sang Steven Curtis Chapman's I Will Be Here.
  • Options
    azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We shared communion as just the two of us - that was our "unity" piece. Our honor attendant sang "When You Say You Love Me" by Josh Groban during it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_qotw-week-of-732011-unity-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:60f012d3-310a-4184-930a-89e26060e8adPost:d3ec64b4-caa6-4c00-b9c5-7b000e27a8e7">Re: QOTW - Week of 7/3/2011 - Unity Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]We shared communion as just the two of us - that was our "unity" piece. Our honor attendant sang "When You Say You Love Me" by Josh Groban during it.
    Posted by azdancer8[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>how did you do the communion? FI and i want to do communion i think. we will do a Cord of 3 strands too. (: i think lol. 

</div>
  • Options
    kcadonaukcadonau member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we did a unity candle and communion. DH really wanted to have Everything by Lifehouse playing in the background but the dj had the wrong song. i didn't even notice though, and as it was we were going to have to pick a cutoff spot in the song since its sooo long
    Formerly yarmik89 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Purple&7Purple&7 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We want to do the unity ceremony. We probably won't have any music playing because we want a short ceremony.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I found granulated wax (looks like sand) at hobby lobby and we did it like unity sand but it made a candle.  Then when we moved up to NC we added more wax to the two vessels we poured (make two candles) and then we lit all three. I wish I had done the Cord of 3 Strands though.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    SoonToBeGenaoSoonToBeGenao member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We will be doing the unity candle and our organist is playing/singing Shine Jesus Shine. I have never even heard of the Cord of 3 Strands until TK. Can someone explain it to me?
    There's only 1 way 2 say those 3 words and that's what I'll do... I love you Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You ladies have me wanting to do a communion for FI and I right after the unity sand.

ETA:  Well, I asked FI about it and he said no, so nevermind.  Lol.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing the unity candle. I just finished decorating my set. Picture in my planning bio. We will have someone sing a song, just haven't picked out the song yet.

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • Options
    ochemjennochemjenn member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't have any extra unity ceremony.  Even if we'd wanted to, the church doesn't allow them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_qotw-week-of-732011-unity-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:60f012d3-310a-4184-930a-89e26060e8adPost:1d117da1-f17e-4c7a-9f2a-a5b29ff7f320">Re: QOTW - Week of 7/3/2011 - Unity Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]We will be doing the unity candle and our organist is playing/singing Shine Jesus Shine. I have never even heard of the Cord of 3 Strands until TK. Can someone explain it to me?
    Posted by SoonToBeGenao[/QUOTE]

<div>it represents God, You, and Husband joining together in marriage. </div><div>
    </div><div><span style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;line-height:19px;color:#000000;" class="Apple-style-span">Ecclesiastes 4:12 </span> <span style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;line-height:19px;color:#000000;" class="Apple-style-span">"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." </span></div><div>
    </div><div>i never heard of it either... but we are going to do it. this is where i found all the info on it: <a href="http://www.godsknot.com/CordOfThreeStrands.aspx">http://www.godsknot.com/CordOfThreeStrands.aspx</a> </div>
  • Options
    SoonToBeGenaoSoonToBeGenao member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the link Monica. I love the idea of that- we already have our unity candle though so we'll stick to that.
    There's only 1 way 2 say those 3 words and that's what I'll do... I love you Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards