Christian Weddings

Father is the Preacher

My father is marrying us. I am not sure how he is going to give us away though. My bro who is also a preacher was going to start the ceremony but I dont think he is coming. I dont want it to be weird though. How can my dad give me away and then finish the ceremony.
I CANT WAIT TO BE A WIFE! Siggy Challenge! For THANK YOU NOTES! Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Father is the Preacher

• fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    When our pastor's daughter got married, he and her brother both walked her down the aisle, and then her dad took his place.  I don't remember how the "giving of the bride" was worded.  If that won't work, do you have an associate or youth pastor (or a pastor from FI's life) who could stand up front to start the ceremony, and then your dad could take over?  
  • edited December 2011
    Not all weddings have to have the "who gives this woman?" line, the walk down the aisle, placing your hand in Fi's, thats the giving part, the sweet part. He can do that then just go and stand up in his place. Only about a third of the weddings I've been to have the verbal giving, and I personally like just watching the faces of father and daughter, that conveys so much more.
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My father is also a pastor but he did not officiate our wedding.  I wanted him to be able to be focused on walking me down the aisle and giving me away (he was absolutely crushed when I suggested that the giving away not be done so we did it).  He would not have been able to officiate for us anyway because I am his last daughter to marry and he was VERY emotional.  He would never have made it.  Fortunately we had other options.  Our BM is a pastor as is his wife, my uncle and my sister.  We had our BM's wife do our ceremony.

I have two sisters who married before me.  For my older sister, she had her husband's pastor do the first part of the ceremony and my dad walked her in but then he went around the altar after he gave her away and did the latter parts of the ceremony.  Then my younger sister had one of her college professors (who was ordained) do most of the wedding but my Dad said a prayer and did a mini sermon after he gave her away.

Does your Dad have any pastor friends that you are close to?  Could that person do some of the beginning of the ceremony?
  • felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know how a father could infact give his daughter away and still perform the ceremony without being overly emotional!  But how special if your dad can!  What about walking down with your mom and dad, or having your mom meet you at the end, and if you want the who gives this woman away, have your mom respond to the question?  Or have another pastor start the ceremony, maybe another pastor who knows both of you?
    I am actually having two pastors involved in my ceremony, and they are both fine with stepping up to do their parts. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in the same boat. However we have a cool situation because BOTH our dads are pastors and are going to perform the wedding TOGETHER. So my dad will walk me down the aisle while FI's dad stands at the front with him. After my dad gives me away he will join FI's dad and they will alternate saying different parts. I think it will be really special.

Do you have any other pastors who are close to you? A youth pastor? Relative pastor?
    May 2012: April Signature Challenge: Wedding Venue
    imagePlanning Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards