Gay Weddings
Options

DC Wedding help!

Hey everyone!

Looking for some help from those of you that are familiar with how getting married in D.C. works. We are having our wedding in N.C. and will then be honeymooning in D.C. while there we are going to get married at the courthouse. I have looked into this and it asks for the officiants name on the application. Can we not just use the Justice of the Peace at the courthouse? We really didn't want to hire someone since we are going to be the only ones there!

We would appreciate all of the helpful hints of the application process and all other info about getting married and honeymooning in D.C.!

Re: DC Wedding help!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I were hoping to elope in DC last summer when we were in New Jersey, and at that point all the info I could find said it takes at least ten days to get an appointment with a JOP.  I don't know if there's just that much backlog or what.  Because of that (we were only in the area for six days) we weren't able to get married then.  You might have to find your own officiant if you want the process to be quick.  Chances are there are officiants in the area willing to do a quick ceremony for you, but I have no idea who to contact to start the search for one.
    imageWhite Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    From the DC Marriage Bureau website:  "The civil wedding calendar is generally booked 2 to 3 weeks in advance."  Also, don't forget that you need to have a marriage license at least three business days before your wedding.

You may want to think about hiring an officiant for a ceremony elsewhere.  For example, you can use any of the national monuments for a $50 fee.
  • Options
    ctozrnctozrn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the help! We hired an officiant today so everything should go easier from here!
  • Options
    Lissa619Lissa619 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who did you hire?
  • Options
    ctozrnctozrn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are using Tiffany Newman.

http://www.marriagedc.com/

This discussion has been closed.