Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

dj vs ipod

My future son-in law does not want a DJ he insists on using an I-Pod for the reception
Has anyone been to a wedding with an I-pod and how did it go?

Re: dj vs ipod

• Options
    Robyn5298Robyn5298 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I have never been to an "iPod wedding", so I can't help you there.  But what I can share is that a dj does so much more than just play music.  They play the special songs at the right time (walking down the aisle, first dance, parent dances), announce when its time to take your seats for dinner, annouce the couple into the hall, get the mic to the people giving toasts, and they can also "feel the room" and change music according to the vibe.

If your future son-in-law really doesn't want a dj, maybe you could hire someone for a couple hundred bucks to sort of "man the iPod" and cue up the appropriate songs at the right time.  That way your daughter and her fiance could choose the songs they want but not have to worry about what gets played when.  This might be a good job for a college kid that isn't invited to the wedding, like the son of one of your work friends or someone from church.  Just please don't ask a guest to do this, its too big a job to give to someone that is there to enjoy the party.

Good luck!
  • Options
    ncd5015ncd5015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_dj-vs-ipod?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:7287e302-a65e-469c-bec2-7534878ccf28Post:38cbb378-6a34-4d92-8e81-4bc2344751fa">Re: dj vs ipod</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have never been to an "iPod wedding", so I can't help you there.  <strong>But what I can share is that a dj does so much more than just play music.  They play the special songs at the right time (walking down the aisle, first dance, parent dances), announce when its time to take your seats for dinner, annouce the couple into the hall, get the mic to the people giving toasts, and they can also "feel the room" and change music according to the vibe</strong>. Posted by Robyn5298[/QUOTE]

This. A DJ can really help make or break a reception.  Is there a specific reason your FSIL is set on an iPod? I've never been to one so I'm not really sure how they are

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    IrishcurlsIrishcurls member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To be completely honest, I've been to an "ipod wedding" and while there wasn't tons of dancing for religious reasons, the hour and a half or so of dance music was horrible and we heard the same songs over and over, songs without an actual dance beat....it was just awkward. I'm not a fan. 
  • Options
    jlawhead777jlawhead777 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Horrible experience with in I pod wedding. There was no Grand introductions, no mic for the toast, when it finally came down to dancing people were fighting over the iPod and what to play next! Mean less to say it was not a great experience and if you do it have someone to man it and make sure you get a mic for the person manning it and for the toast...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards