Getting in Shape

Need advice on dress and belly fat

Ok, here's the deal.

My big problem is my belly.  The rest of me actually looks relatively thin, but I have a lot of belly fat, and my waist is (apparently) about 36 inches. 

Not finding any wedding dresses in stores with sleeves that I liked, I ended up ordering a lace bolero top kind of thing to wear over a strapless wedding dress.  I made the mistake of going by my dress size and bust size, but it turns out the top is WAY too small in the waist.  Like by at least 4-5 inches.

I still have 7 months until my wedding, and I WANT to lose weight.  I know that I need to exercise and eat better (I HATE exercise, and I LOVE food).  I know there's no *quick 'n easy* fix for losing weight, or losing belly fat.

But basically, I have two questions.

1.  Do you think I should even try to lose enough weight to wear this lace top?  I'm devastated that it doesn't fit... and I'm sure if it fit, it would look awesome.  It's non-refundable, so I'd have to pay for a whole new one, or find something else.  I want to make it work somehow, but is that TOTALLY unrealstic to lose 4-5 inches from my waist when I've ALWAYS had a waist problem?

2.  Besides normal diet and exercise, is there ANYTHING that is especially helpful for belly fat?  I know, generally speaking, that you can't control how where you lose weight on your body, but is there ANYTHING I can try?

TIA for any advice.  I'm just so bummed (even though I know I only have myself to blame)... and I'm trying to figure out the best game plan.

SaveSave

Re: Need advice on dress and belly fat

• Whether you've had a baby or not, I think this site helps. I've been trying to eat more of these foods and I've dropped almost 2 pant sizes in 5 weeks. Granted, I'm also working out every day (no days off because I will quit) and I'm eating around 1000 calories a day. I know it's low, but I do eat more if I'm hungry. I've always had trouble with belly fat as well. My pants will be huge in the legs and butt but tight in the stomach. My fiance has been telling me how much flatter my stomach is getting. I still have a lot to lose, but whatever I'm doing is definitely working. One other thing: I take carb-blocker pills before any meal with carbs or starch. They're mostly white kidney bean powder which helps with stomach fat. Oh and I put cayenne pepper on just about all my food because it will boost your metabolism.

http://www.parenting.com/article/8-flat-belly-foods
     Visit The Knot!                                           image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • THANK YOU

I know I have a lot of work to do, but it's at least worth a try.  If I'm not losing at a decent pace, I might have to just sell my top and try and find another one, but I don't want to give up on it yet!

Sodium and sugar.  Story of my life.  I've got to start cutting that down.

First things first, I know I have to ditch my soda addiction. 

Glad to have some encouragement!  I've heard so many good things about Myfitnesspal, I don't know why I haven't signed up yet.

Thanks again... and keep it coming if there are any more tips!

SaveSave
  • Yes, I agree that PPs calorie count is too low and will lead to the body going into starvation mode. This will cause your body to hold on to every last calorie, rather than shedding them. Been there, done that - not because I've restricted calories, but because I don't really enjoy eating (but I'm trying).

I cut my soda down from a 2L a day to one glass a day, and I've lost 40lbs! I'd like to lose another 15ish and do some serious toning, but I've already got a lot of muscle, I just need to get rid of the last fat layer, and most of that is also belly fat.

PP is right; interval training will work wonders, but start slow. If you're not active now, even something as simple as a walk each evening is a start. It takes three weeks to make something a habit, and pretty soon you'll miss it if you don't work out.

Good luck - check out the accountaibilty thread as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_need-advice-on-dress-and-belly-fat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:3136278b-03eb-4862-a0e6-fea220f499dbPost:72889f22-eccb-4448-a7f4-e0361b2f8a24">Re: Need advice on dress and belly fat</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whether you've had a baby or not, I think this site helps. I've been trying to eat more of these foods and I've dropped almost 2 pant sizes in 5 weeks. Granted, <strong>I'm also working out every day</strong> (no days off because I will quit) and <strong>I'm eating around 1000 calories a day.</strong> I know it's low, but I do eat more if I'm hungry. I've always had trouble with belly fat as well. My pants will be huge in the legs and butt but tight in the stomach. My fiance has been telling me how much flatter my stomach is getting. I still have a lot to lose, but whatever I'm doing is definitely working. One other thing:<strong>I take carb-blocker pills</strong>before any meal with carbs or starch. They're mostly white kidney bean powder which helps with stomach fat. Oh and I put cayenne pepper on just about all my food because it will boost your metabolism. <a href="http://www.parenting.com/article/8-flat-belly-foods" rel="nofollow">http://www.parenting.com/article/8-flat-belly-foods</a>
    Posted by allelsefaild[/QUOTE]

Is no one going to comment on how crazy pants this is?

For convenience sake I highlighted portions for you all to focus on.

You're welcome group
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't know if anyone else caught this, but...you can't spot reduce. Your body is going to lose weight wherever it wants to.

My problem area is my hips - they're freakin' huge. It's also the last place weight wants to fall off, so in order to lose inches on my hips, I have to lose inches all over.

I would really talk to a seamstress about this and get a recommendation on other courses of action you can take should you not ultimately lose weight where you need to. There might be a simple dress fix.
  • AHhhhh when I left my comment half of the comments were not visible (stupid TK gremlins)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with PP (minus the 1,000 calories and carb blocker that DEFINITELY would not work for me.)

Also, to add, stress and for me birth control pills have added fat to the belly area that I have trouble getting rid of no matter what. I would have to have less stress at work (wishful thinking) or stop birth control (do not want a child) so I put up with the extra fat.

Excercise and diet is the best. Making it a life change that is doable so the weight doesn't come back. Also, before you give up completely on something you want do see a seamstress before you just buy something else (unless something else catches your fancy;-)  Good luck and keep us posted on how this goes.

Aug 2013 Brides - January Siggy Wedding Site, Pinecrest Lake: imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Short answer, I believe it's doable!

I suggest finding out your metabolic type and focus only on foods suitable for your metabolic type, but with about a 400 calorie per day deficit and an overfeeding day (eat as much as you want). Judging from your post, you seem to be a protein type, but you'll need to check this (lots of tests on the internet to help you GIYF).

Also, even though you hate exercise, there must be some activity you enjoy. It can be anything from gardening, clubbing, whatever. As long is it keeps you active it's good, do more of that until the big day.

Assuming an achievable 2 pounds a week, you should be able to trim of 5 to 6 inches within 20 weeks. Enough time to get you ready ;-)
  • Just to clarify, I know you can't spot reduce.  I know I can't choose just to lose belly fat, but I was hoping there would be anything that might help that area at all.  It sounds like reducing my sugar and sodium would at least help the bloating, but I'll just have to see how and where my fat comes off if I can start losing weight.

I do like to be active in some ways (like walking around places or gardening) but I never have anyone to do anything with, and I'm always so busy/tired.  I'm not saying that's an excuse, but it has discouraged me from doing anything active.

I REALLY appreciate the encouragement.  I need to stick around because you ladies are so helpful!

I started last night with cutting out soda and limiting my portions.  Today I went to the grocery store and bought more healthy snacks and vegetables.  Now I need to clean out my pantry of all the fatty and sugary stuff. 

My fitness pal said I should be aiming for 1200 calories.  That's tough for me, but I'm trying.  Cutting out soda alone gets me a lot closer to that.

I'm not on BC pills, so fortunately that's not a factor here.

Thanks again for the help!

SaveSave
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards