Catholic Weddings

Rosaries equate to Gangs?

I heard on the news this morning that a local school district was banning Catholic rosaries in their schools.  Apparently, Catholic rosaries are now being associated with gangs, and since the schools have a zero tolerance policy on gang paraphernalia, they are banning rosaries.  I guess if you bring it to school, but keep it hidden, they won't take it from you or make you leave school.

Still, it just made me really sad to hear that.  I had this image of my grandmother when she died holding her rosary.  And now I feel like it's kind of tainted.
---------
Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Rosaries equate to Gangs?

• edited December 2011
    That is so sad. I understand the school's policy, though. All we can do is keep the rosary sacred on our end, and hope that trend goes away soon.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What are these gangs doing with rosaries?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_rosaries-equate-gangs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:cfad58e8-2f0e-49d1-8154-8e22f05f1dd3Post:d560d976-21fd-419e-b78c-b6c1940a89b9">Re: Rosaries equate to Gangs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What are these gangs doing with rosaries?
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

I don't know, but it sure makes me sad to see a whole bunch of thugs walking around public with them around their necks like the are just regular old necklaces. (I think there was a thread on this a while back.) It probably has to do with the color of the rosary beads or something.

I know last weekend at our church youth group, we actually made rosarys for the Living Rosary project and we could choose what color beads we wanted to use. I guess give them a reason and they find a way to ban any sort of religious article in the public schools. That is why our kids will be in Catholic school.
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wearing them as their symbol to signify that they belong to this certain gang.

Here's 1 news article:
    http://www.gazette.com/articles/school-105857-springs-cross.html

And this is from the Diocese of Colorado Springs:
    http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/diocese-of-colorado-springs-backs-public-schools-ban-on-wearing-rosaries/
    ---------
    Anniversary

• mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Horrible. 

I wasn't aware that many people wore rosaries around their necks.  I remember finding my mother's rosary when I was a girl and being admonished because I tried to put it around my neck.  In my world, rosaries are kept in pockets because they aren't considered personal decoration.  But I will admit that I don't know the protocol on this.

I just think it's horrible that gangs found a way to abuse rosaries.  Is nothing sacred?  I understand that schools want their students to be safe too.  Sigh.
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I don't think I ever tried to put a rosary around my neck.  It was always held in my hand, or it went back in its little box that I had just for it.  I think it makes sense for the school to ban them in this circumstance.  It's just sad it has to be done at all.
    ---------
    Anniversary

• Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_rosaries-equate-gangs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:cfad58e8-2f0e-49d1-8154-8e22f05f1dd3Post:8607d106-40b6-4da7-bc06-32859b80a891">Re: Rosaries equate to Gangs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is so sad. I understand the school's policy, though. All we can do is keep the rosary sacred on our end, and hope that trend goes away soon.
    Posted by PichelleWedding[/QUOTE]

Exactly this.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • edited December 2011
    This is very sad. Where we live, I see many people wearing them around their necks like it is nothing at all. I was always taught they were to be in pockets or purses or the little pouches they come in. I keep my in its pouch in my purse at all times.
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    edited December 2011
    Very sad... :(
  • edited December 2011
    I live in Colorado too and hear that also.. I think its very sad and horrible thing..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This isn't the first time I've heard of a religious or cultural symbol being used by a gang.  About 20 years ago I remember hearing that the Irish Claddagh was a popular gang symbol.  It saddened me then (and now) as someone of Irish descent.

And ditto that I was always taught to hold a Rosary but to NEVER wear it.
  • aghouston86aghouston86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry I am a late poster, but I can almost assure you that the "gang members" that they are talking about are Hispanic. A large majority of these gang members are catholic, by their own definition, and thus carry or wear rosaries, maybe as a sign of their faith, but mostly for fashion. It a Hispanic thing, and depending on what gang they are affiliated with, will determine the likely hood of them carrying/wearing a red or blue rosarie. I'm surprised none of you tapped into the race thing..but I guess its most prevalent in areas that have higher populations of Latinos. I am originally from the San Francisco Bay Area, but currently reside in Sacramento and I work at a junior high, and see this all the time. Although it is not banned in my district, that I know of, it isn't a shocker whatsoever.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards