African American Weddings

Budget and guest count

Was just wondering what everyone's guest count is and the budget.  Just want to make sure I'm on the right path

Re: Budget and guest count

• msktn95msktn95 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We plan to invite 150.  Our budget is $10,000.00
    Follow Me on Pinterest image image BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome Sweetgnj!!

I would suggest that you and your FI look carefully into what you can afford and go from there. Your question is a good question but you can not compare your situation to others. Everyone's budget has variables that may not be comparing apples to apples such as city, time of year, style in venue, traditional or destination etc....

100 person wedding in Manhattan on a Saturday summer evening is not comparable to a 100 person wedding in Tennessee on a Sunday winter afternoon.

A good way to find out if you are on track for example: You want to pay $25 per plate therefore look at all the venues in your area and see what you can get for $25 per plate.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_budget-guest-count?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:a25a3469-1838-40c1-b7a0-309bece2b3c0Post:592f1613-6d8c-4d57-96a9-065cacdc0b4a">Re: Budget and guest count</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome Sweetgnj!! I would suggest that you and your FI look carefully into what you can afford and go from there. Your question is a good question but you can not compare your situation to others. <strong>Everyone's budget has variables that may not be comparing apples to apples such as city, time of year, style in venue, traditional or destination etc.... A good way to find out if you are on track for example: You want to pay $25 per plate therefore look at all the venues in your area and see what you can get for $25 per plate.</strong>
    Posted by Carla1019[/QUOTE]
    <div>
    </div><div>Excellent advice!  I concur.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Our guest count is about 115....we would love to pay $30 pp however, in NJ that ain't happening lol.  We figured out what we would be comfortable paying per person and then looked for venues in that price point.  We haven't finalized the menu yet but I'm thinking we should be somewhere between $80-$120 pp depending on upgrades and menu choices.  PP gave great advice.  Get a feel for the average price for vendors and venues in your area and figure things out from there.  Welcome and Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_budget-guest-count?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:a25a3469-1838-40c1-b7a0-309bece2b3c0Post:592f1613-6d8c-4d57-96a9-065cacdc0b4a">Re: Budget and guest count</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome Sweetgnj!! I would suggest that you and your FI look carefully into what you can afford and go from there. Your question is a good question but you can not compare your situation to others. Everyone's budget has variables that may not be comparing apples to apples such as city, time of year, style in venue, traditional or destination etc.... 100 person wedding in Manhattan on a Saturday summer evening is not comparable to a 100 person wedding in Tennessee on a Sunday winter afternoon. A good way to find out if you are on track for example: You want to pay $25 per plate therefore look at all the venues in your area and see what you can get for $25 per plate.
    Posted by Carla1019[/QUOTE]

THIS!  Great advise. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Carla1019.  There are a number of variables that will determine your budget and subsequent guest count.  The day of the week, time of day (day vs. evening), time of year (April-October) and the type of food and beverage you plan to serve and who prepares it will all play a factor in determining your guest count and wedding budget.  

As a general rule, most people tend to spend about 50-60% of their total wedding budget on food and beverage.  Based on how much you are prepared to spend on the wedding, that may give you a rough estimate of how many people you can afford to invite.  Hope this helps.

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone else. You really should get out there and get a feel for the normal price per person in your area and for the time of year. When FI and I were looking a venue I was floored by how much a venue can cost. Once I got an average number then I was able to sit down and see what we were comfortable paying and what changes we could make to possibly make the price a little less.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MsAmeera25MsAmeera25 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having 120 guests...everyone is correct for example the average budget in South fl is 15-20K  and goes up from therefor a wedding so you need to check out your area determine a style and feel for the wedding and go from there.

• edited December 2011
    I'm in Albuquerque, and we are hosting 130 adults and 15 and paying 7500 (for the food and beverage).  However, as everyone else has said it greatly varies depending on the area.
  • edited December 2011

For 150 ppl in Chicago, we are paying 45/pp and this is a steal!!! Some people can get it way cheaper depending on location and what the venue actually offers! Happy planning :-)

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_budget-guest-count?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:a25a3469-1838-40c1-b7a0-309bece2b3c0Post:79acb1e2-dfca-44cc-86d8-c5c4e251a22b">Re: Budget and guest count</a>:
    [QUOTE]We plan to invite 150.  Our budget is $10,000.00
    Posted by msktn95[/QUOTE]

Same. But only expecting between 100-125 to show up.
    imageAnniversary
  • scheryschery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my budget is abt 15k and my fi and i are expecting to invite abt 150 guests. I am in south fla
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards