Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Skipping Father Daughter Dance

I am looking for advice......my father is giving me away at my wedding however he is on oxygen and will have a difficult time with the father daughter dance.  Is it ok if we skip the traditional dances? 

Re: Skipping Father Daughter Dance

• It is perfectly fine!! Honestly, I get so bored watching so mancy dances, so if I was a guest, I wouldn't miss it at all!
  • I am not doing one either.  My father is in a power wheelchair and can't walk.  My nephew is walking me down the aisle.  I will dedicate a song to my father, and have a dance with my nephew, who is like a son to me.
  • maybe collect some pictures of you and your dad over the years that mean a lot to you and  put them to a song.  You and your Dad could enjoy watching them together.  It would prob mean more to him than a dance anyways.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • I like the idea of the slideshow, if it's possible.  Otherwise I think you are fine skipping it.  It gets boring watching all of those dances.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • It depends on how his strength and energy levels are and his enthusiasm levels. If he is determined and excited to be honored with the Father/Daughter Dance then it would just require a little patience and planning to make the necessary accommodations for him to be safe and comfortable. Dancing is just fancy walking so if he can walk all the way down the aisle to give you away then a talented dance instructor can guide him in safe, easy and impressive choreography for both of you to shine in the spotlight! There are wedding dances where one partner is blind, deaf and even in a wheelchair. It's a shame to skip such a sacred ritual if you can find creative ways around it. The dance lessons are also a really sentimental opportunity for you to bond with your dad during the wedding planning process. If he is not up for the challenge then perhaps he can polish up on his speech! Make sure you are standing next to him when he delivers it for a great photo!
  • My father is also in a wheelchair and we did a modified version of our dance. Video is here: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzklfFOghA8" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzklfFOghA8</a>

My sister got married also and decided to do a trivia game as their version of a "dance." It was really fun and everyone loved it! You can skip this tradition altogether too, but if you want to still have a special daddy/daughter moment on your big day, there are other options out there - get creative and find something that is personal to the two of you to do!

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_skipping-father-daughter-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:6d9c6480-b175-43e0-8f32-093c147ccf64Post:5add7acb-bfeb-470b-bba6-eb1af52cc965">Skipping Father Daughter Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am looking for advice......my father is giving me away at my wedding however he is on oxygen and will have a difficult time with the father daughter dance.  Is it ok if we skip the traditional dances? 
    Posted by dstiene[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards