Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

Wedding BLAST, not BUST!

The wedding went as flawlessly as a perfectly hemmed pair of too-long jeans!

Bulleted points of interest and reflection:

*The photo booth (for as many hours as I wanted, as many props as needed, and as many pictures as I could sit for) was simply FAB. Entertained both adults and kiddos alike - for HOURS. Also, the photobooth-people sent the CD of pics to me 3 days after the wedding with 3 folders of different styles of pictures people took. Highly recommended in my book, they are!

*EASY clean up due to not having decorations in the church (simple is more!)

*Yes, people look down on potlucks - but in the area where I live, it is acceptable..and we had more than enough food (all with food safety precautions taken into account as well) and a friend to BBQed carne asada, chicken, and burgers to our stomachs' delight.

*Pink and orange? A HIT. For this summer soiree, these colors certainly showcased my personality.

*Cake - can't go wrong with a Hello Kitty topper and matching cake cutting set! Costco cakes as supplemental sweets also added my "flair" to the occasion.

*Wedding favors: cookie cutters (from amazon.com - 101 for $14! Plastic, multi colored, and in a variety of shapes with a tag reading "We're 'cut out' for each other" = YAY!) and wedding CDs with love songs from a variety of musical genres

*Photographer - a student who JUST graduated from the high school in which I work - she's going into college with a photography scholarship and I snagged her months ago, b/c I've been tracking her work since she was a freshman. She wanted to click away for free - I paid her (and spent less than half of what I would have paid someone who had an established business in the surrounding areas!) - my pictures came back within two weeks with her and BOY HOWDY - she's AMAZING!

*Bridesmaids in their "pick your own color/style dress" looked GREAT! No one looked out of place and surprise! Everyone's dresses had pockets! :)

Table toppers/centerpieces: $100 - IKEA had the picture frames (white!), pink glass candle holders and pink rocks and pink tea light candles - for $70 total and the remaining $30 went toward the pink/orange tulle from JoAnn's fabrics, photo printing at Costco, and Dollar Tree tablecloths

Recap of costs?
Photobooth: $500
Dress/petticoat/veil/tiara: $375
Flowers: $200
Hair: $50
Photographer: $250
Food: $100 (meat for BBQ) + $100 (cookies/drinks/S'mores stuff)
Cake: $90 (2-tier fun orange/pink) + $36 (Costco cakes)
Decorations for reception: $150 (I went a little crazy :))
Invitations: $15 (sent out 200 - only paid for the cardstock!)
BM gifts: $50-$75 each (these girls are so close to me)
Groomsmen's gifts: $20 ($5 Nike "Just Do It" shirts - to go with the honeymoon theme :))
Makeup: FREE (did my own...I love you, Sephora)
Shoes: $10 (flip flops - Payless)
Accesories: $6 Hello Kitty ring for my toes, $6 Macy's earrings
Music: Free - love songs for 10 hours worth of play downloaded onto iPod (pink!)
Slideshow: Free - friend/colleague put it together for my husband and I  - yay for our pasts which brought us together!
Wedding favors: $30 (cookie cutters) + $80 (CDs - special CDs to burn images ONTO the CD - crazy DJ husband of mine knows all those things)
Table rentals: $150 (90 chairs, 8 round tables, someone picked up/delivered for us)
Port-A-Potty rental: $95 (reception was held in colleague's country backyard)
Thank you gift cards to people who helped us out BIG time: $400

I can't think of anything else at the top of my head - and pictures will come soon - but my, oh my! I can't believe it's finished and how smoothly it went! GREAT time! Would totally do it over again! :)

Re: Wedding BLAST, not BUST!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_wedding-blast-not-bust?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:24eb1e05-e14b-4472-9e93-2ba952f01bb9Post:09a57338-83b2-420c-a986-ff65e4edd179">Wedding BLAST, not BUST!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The wedding went as flawlessly as a perfectly hemmed pair of too-long jeans! Bulleted points of interest and reflection: *The photo booth (for as many hours as I wanted, as many props as needed, and as many pictures as I could sit for) was simply FAB. Entertained both adults and kiddos alike - for HOURS. Also, the photobooth-people sent the CD of pics to me 3 days after the wedding with 3 folders of different styles of pictures people took. Highly recommended in my book, they are! *EASY clean up due to not having decorations in the church (simple is more!) *Yes, people look down on potlucks - but in the area where I live, it is acceptable..and we had more than enough food (all with food safety precautions taken into account as well) and a friend to BBQed carne asada, chicken, and burgers to our stomachs' delight. *Pink and orange? A HIT. For this summer soiree, these colors certainly showcased my personality. *Cake - can't go wrong with a Hello Kitty topper and matching cake cutting set! Costco cakes as supplemental sweets also added my "flair" to the occasion. *Wedding favors: cookie cutters (from amazon.com - 101 for $14! Plastic, multi colored, and in a variety of shapes with a tag reading "We're 'cut out' for each other" = YAY!) and <strong>wedding CDs with love songs from a variety of musical genres</strong> *Photographer - a student who JUST graduated from the high school in which I work - she's going into college with a photography scholarship and I snagged her months ago, b/c I've been tracking her work since she was a freshman. She wanted to click away for free - I paid her (and spent less than half of what I would have paid someone who had an established business in the surrounding areas!) - my pictures came back within two weeks with her and BOY HOWDY - she's AMAZING! *Bridesmaids in their "pick your own color/style dress" looked GREAT! No one looked out of place and surprise! Everyone's dresses had pockets! :) Table toppers/centerpieces: $100 - IKEA had the picture frames (white!), pink glass candle holders and pink rocks and pink tea light candles - for $70 total and the remaining $30 went toward the pink/orange tulle from JoAnn's fabrics, photo printing at Costco, and Dollar Tree tablecloths Recap of costs? Photobooth: $500 Dress/petticoat/veil/tiara: $375 Flowers: $200 Hair: $50 Photographer: $250 Food: $100 (meat for BBQ) + $100 (cookies/drinks/S'mores stuff) Cake: $90 (2-tier fun orange/pink) + $36 (Costco cakes) Decorations for reception: $150 (I went a little crazy :)) Invitations: $15 (sent out 200 - only paid for the cardstock!) BM gifts: $50-$75 each (these girls are so close to me) Groomsmen's gifts: $20 ($5 Nike "Just Do It" shirts - to go with the honeymoon theme :)) Makeup: FREE (did my own...I love you, Sephora) Shoes: $10 (flip flops - Payless) Accesories: $6 Hello Kitty ring for my toes, $6 Macy's earrings Music: Free - love songs for 10 hours worth of play downloaded onto iPod (pink!) Slideshow: Free - friend/colleague put it together for my husband and I  - yay for our pasts which brought us together! Wedding favors: $30 (cookie cutters) + $80 (CDs - special CDs to burn images ONTO the CD - crazy DJ husband of mine knows all those things) Table rentals: $150 (90 chairs, 8 round tables, someone picked up/delivered for us) Port-A-Potty rental: $95 (reception was held in colleague's country backyard) Thank you gift cards to people who helped us out BIG time: $400 I can't think of anything else at the top of my head - and pictures will come soon - but my, oh my! I can't believe it's finished and how smoothly it went! GREAT time! Would totally do it over again! :)
    Posted by puppetrick[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know people listened to CDs anymore!  Glad you enjoyed your wedding.
  • Options
    Oh yeah! I work with a ton of teachers, so we have stereos in our classrooms..and even CD players in the cars still. :) The people on road trips to our wedding really appreciated them too!
  • Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_wedding-blast-not-bust?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:24eb1e05-e14b-4472-9e93-2ba952f01bb9Post:9240ff78-b55d-435c-a7a3-16ffed7cd793">Re: Wedding BLAST, not BUST!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh yeah! I work with a ton of teachers, so we have stereos in our classrooms..and even CD players in the cars still. :) The people on road trips to our wedding really appreciated them too!
    Posted by puppetrick[/QUOTE]

So as a teacher you knowingly broke copyright laws.  You teach your students not to plagiarize their English papers but you go ahead and steal someones music. That's just sad.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    How did you get the music for free?

@ JoanE2012: I use cd's in my car.  It's a 2004, before digital music really became standard for autos.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_wedding-blast-not-bust?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:24eb1e05-e14b-4472-9e93-2ba952f01bb9Post:8f2ffa77-0d04-4df0-8b10-25fc7c2adb23">Re: Wedding BLAST, not BUST!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding BLAST, not BUST! : So as a teacher you knowingly broke copyright laws.  You teach your students not to plagiarize their English papers but you go ahead and steal someones music. That's just sad.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh for pete's sake. You're allowed to make mix CDs. You're not allowed to SELL burned/pirated music. Sheesh.</div><div>
    </div><div>OP, sounds like you had a great time and a very budget-friendly celebration, congratulations & here's to your future!</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_wedding-blast-not-bust?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:24eb1e05-e14b-4472-9e93-2ba952f01bb9Post:31723dff-4a83-4a59-b498-d883748acd83">Re: Wedding BLAST, not BUST!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding BLAST, not BUST! : Oh for pete's sake. You're allowed to make mix CDs. You're not allowed to SELL burned/pirated music. Sheesh. OP, sounds like you had a great time and a very budget-friendly celebration, congratulations & here's to your future!
    Posted by hollyweenOR[/QUOTE]

Yes a mix tape for personal use. Not many for distribution.

• Options
    Glad it was a good time :)
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone!! :)

AND, Hoboken - I never specified what type of music...my husband makes his own music, as he's a DJ...don't jump to conclusions without the facts. :)
  • Options
    Wait..I take it back..I DID say 'love songs' - but he makes his own mixes in a variety of genres.
  • Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited September 2012
    Unless he writes the music and plays all the the instruments himself the music still belongs to other people.  Sampling the music and distributing it is still against copyright law. It's covered in school law and technology in the classroom in case you missed it.

• Options

Again, you jump to conclusions about who my husband knows and with whom he has worked.

It's crazy how people can't just say "I'm so happy for you!" but rather prefer to be contrarians and grr-faced about things. :)

• Options
    Maybe you could have your students write a persuasive essay about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards