Military Brides
Options

Opinions, please?

So, DF and I are both pending on a move to SA...but can't decide whether or not we should go ahead and get a place together or not. I'd like some input from you gals to see where you stood/stand on the subject of whether or not to officially live together before actually getting married. I'm still in school and he's (HOPEFULLY) going to the academy soon and we're both young but will have steady employment.

Re: Opinions, please?

• Options
    I didn't vote but I think living together before getting married is a good idea. DH and I did not and learning to live together made the first year of marriage a bit more challenging for us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I didn't vote either, but here's my input:

While I think living together before marriage can be a good idea, I think no matter what, learning to live together (whether before marriage or after) is going to be an adjustment. As long as you are aware of the adjustment and keep your communication open and be patient with each other, I think you'll be just fine. Either way it's still going to take some getting used to and learning about each other's routines and habits. So all in all, I say go for it if you keep an open mind and talk about your expectations with each other.
  • Options
    I think living together is great, I also know some people don't, and that's cool. I do think it's a huge adjustment, even if you've been spending tons of time together. Especially when you both have a monetary stake in where you live. It's one thing to be dating but pretty much living at one place or another and knowing about how they wash dishes or how low they keep the air or how long their showers are; it's totally another to be financially in it with them. 

I lived with my college boyfriend, and the money situation (along with him cheating) was something that came up pretty quickly. With FI, we definitely are still adjusting and it's been almost 10 months. Things like- we're both messy, so we have to be extra vigilant about it so that we don't descend into chaos. It's different, too, to when he stayed with me when I had roommates, because then I felt obliged to be neat. 

If you moved to SA, which Academy would be be going to and would that mean you'd have to move again, or would you guys be based here (I say "here" because I assume you're referring to San Antonio)?
  • Options
    We lived together and it was perfect. Not much is gonna change now that we're married because it felt like we already were haha. It made the best financial sense as well
  • Options
    Divine: He'd be going into SAPD's police academy and he'll know that by August at the latest. Which honestly I can work with since my school wouldn't start until the 29th. He's kinda lived with me before too, with roommates as well and he did pitch in financially and actually bought the groceries most every time.

I know that that wouldn't change much if we lived together...I'm just mainly worried about what my family would think at this point, which is kinda dumb when I think about it...since they don't pay for anything of mine since I started going to college.

sooooo much to think about!!! eeeekkkkk!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards