Chit Chat

DW bitch

So my FBIL is getting married soon, and just called to tell us that it will be on a 7 day cruse.  He doesn't seem to care that his brother will not be able to attend (its expensive and also will be during our last semester in law school).  Fi is just so hurt and angry.  He asked FBIL to be his best man and expected him to at least want him to be there.  

FI has never been really happy about the wedding (mostly having to do with not liking his FSIL and thinking she makes his brother really unhappy) but this is just making it worse.  He feels like his family doesn't care about him (again there are some other issues in this involving family vacations planned around everyone but him).  I just don't know what to do about this to make him feel better.

Clearly there is no easy solution.  I'm thinking of trying to save the money to go, but there still is the missing a week of school thing, and saving that much will be hard.  Basically I just needed to vent about it and about how unhappy Fi is, I just want to make things better...

Re: DW bitch

• Its your last semester in law school?  You don't need to be there.  Where do you go to school? I am sorry that there is interfamily drama. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_dw-bitch?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:b5618bea-57e6-4bbe-934a-e7060a8374caPost:49079ca2-5da8-4343-af6b-2a8806f85e74">Re: DW bitch</a>:
    [QUOTE]You might not be able to make this better.  It is their choice where and when to get married.  If they are choosing to have a DW, there is little you can do about it.  I say, why waste the energy getting all hurt, it will accomplish nothing. 
    Posted by luckyme502[/QUOTE]

this.

one thing i've learned, especially from family issues, is that you can't change anyone. they will do what they want and it doesn't matter what you say. so it's really a waste of energy to get all worked up about it. it is what it is. if you can go, great. if not, don't stress it. it was their choice. and while it does suck, there's not much you can do.
  • kee80kee80 member
    First Comment
    Ugh, that's tough!  Ultimately, people have to accept that, when they choose a destination wedding (esp a cruise ship - yikes), a lot of folks won't be able to make it!  Don't put yourselves out financially or academically for their wedding.  Good luck!
  • is it actually during the cruise or before it leaves? many cruise ship weddings actually occur before the ship leaves port, thus allowing guests to come on for the wedding, but not requiring them  to actually go on the cruise. You may want to find out if this is the case (or could be the case?). if it is, it might make it more feasible time and money wise.
  • That is a good point, and not one I had heard of.  We could totally do that, so if that is how it works that would be great.  It didn't sound like it, but this was still at an early stage in the planning.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards