Wedding Woes

Y'all know I said I was going to hush.

Just one last thing....promise.

Y'all know I've been on this board for years. Too darn many years. I've lost count the number of times that people have routinely mocked Christians on here.You know, bible thumper, crazy Christians, fundies. etc.

I find it soooooooo interesting that it is socially acceptable on this board to mock a group of people for their beliefs. However, It is unacceptable to disagree with a group of people based on the beliefs that they hold.

I don't recall a time that I have EVER mocked a person on here for their religious beliefs or lack there of. It's not cool and it's not my style.

I just find it fascinating. This isn't a popoff, but more of an observation.

Re: Y'all know I said I was going to hush.

• I mock lots of groups of people for their beliefs.  I think you're probably just sensitive to the religious mocking I do.  

And since the majority of religion in America is Christian and I'm a former Christian, it is the easiest to mock in the "religious" discussion.  <--Not an excuse, just an observation.

Also, i don't think you should hush.  You have a viewpoint and the right to exercise it.  If it annoys me, I have the option to ignore/debate with you.  I think "hushing' is probably your overall style, but I don't have a problem with you speaking up.
  • If I was sensitive about it I would have left years ago. I just find it interesting.

I chose to hush because it's pointless to keep debating the same topic.
  • I wish more Christians took attitudes like yours. I get frustrated with the Christians in my life, especially my parents, as their attitudes are less about loving the sinner and more about judging the sinner. Not that it's right, but it's easier to get upset and mock people who do that.
  • WzzWzz member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    this is a quote from someone interviews at CFA:

"

"We want to support their right to an opinion," Clem said. "I do support that opinion. And the right. Even if it was an opinion I disagreed with, I'd be here today." "

i don't think the politicians had any place in getting involved, but i guess they wanted a headcount of their supporters? who knows.

but regardless of my personal stance on the right for people to be married, i also agree that this nothing nobody who owns a restaurant is entitled to have an opinion.

• I honestly and truly don't believe that anyone went to CFA, went to support that man's right to say what he did AND disagreed with what he said.  They went to support that belief. 

I support this right to say it.  I sure as hell am not going to support what he said, which is what spending money there does.  I don't have to support his right, the Constitution and his citizenship do that.  Again, we don't vote on rights, they're endowed on us at birth or naturalization.
  • I just don't agree that the people that are being mocked are Christians I guess.  I'm just a lurker, but people here seem to be mocking the stereotypical Christian belief system that the bible is to be followed to the letter and gays and women's rights are something that Jesus would have been holding a sign about ala the Westboro Baptist people.

I'm actually a Catholic but my views of what God and his son would want for my life don't include hating people for what He created them to be.  Sometimes the Church hurts my feelings because of how hostile they are about things that I can't get behind, but I believe in transubstantiation and love for the poor.

cool story, I know. 
  • Maybe this is splitting hairs, and maybe it's unfair, but when I refer to bible thumpers/fundies/whatever I'm not refering to all Christians. I'm refering to a specific subset of Christians who I feel have lost perspective and in my opinion become so wrapped up in their idea of morality that they've forgotten the true message of God and the bible.

I don't consider you to be in that group, NOLA. In fact I consider you shining example of what a faithful person should be.

I don't see it as any different from calling someone a bridezilla because they demand all their bridesmaids spray tan. I don't think all brides are spoiled brats, but when someone acts like one I call a spade a spade.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_yall-know-i-said-i-was-going-to-hush?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:106dd70a-f4a1-4f0c-b6e6-265b672c6889Post:52667b29-26cf-465d-adbd-bb33bc0180e5">Re: Y'all know I said I was going to hush.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe this is splitting hairs, and maybe it's unfair, but when I refer to bible thumpers/fundies/whatever I'm not refering to all Christians. I'm refering to a specific subset of Christians who I feel have lost perspective and in my opinion become so wrapped up in their idea of morality that they've forgotten the true message of God and the bible. I don't consider you to be in that group, NOLA. In fact I consider you shining example of what a faithful person should be.
    Posted by TheDuckis[/QUOTE]

This, exactly.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Jesus would never hold a sign up or condone anything the Westboro people do!  People like them help get Christian's mocked, you are suposed to love the sinner and hate the sin.  And it is definatly not our place to judge anybody, people like them have it ALL WRONG, and they actually keep a lot of people from finding and attending a normal church and they miss the opportunity to become a believer from hearing things directly from the bible instead of from hateful people like that group.
  • I'm just going to C&P my response from yesterday, because it applies here, too:

Nola, the whole idea of tolerance isn't that ALL ideas should be tolerated equally.  The KKK's ideals aren't treated with tolerance.  Of course they aren't.  They're vile, hateful sentiments that are all about oppressing people.  This is the same thing we're running into here with the christian gay oppression stuff.  Tolerance is for things like eating kosher or halal, or wearing ashes on your forehead on a Wednesday in spring, not for things like female genital mutilation, or preventing gays from marrying, or depriving women of lifesaving measures.  There's no moral high ground in tolerating evil.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I don't disagree with you here Nola.

But, I do also draw a distinction between 'christians' and 'fundy nutters'.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_yall-know-i-said-i-was-going-to-hush?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:106dd70a-f4a1-4f0c-b6e6-265b672c6889Post:f009b0ed-1777-42d7-b2f0-c3db8ea8c485">Re: Y'all know I said I was going to hush.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jesus would never hold a sign up or condone anything the Westboro people do!  People like them help get Christian's mocked, you are suposed to love the sinner and hate the sin.  And it is <strong>definatly not our place to judge anybody</strong>, people like them have it ALL WRONG, and they actually keep a lot of people from finding and attending a <strong>normal church</strong> and they miss the opportunity to <strong>become a believer</strong> from hearing things directly from the bible instead of from <strong>hateful people</strong> like that group.
    Posted by pegasuskat[/QUOTE]

Can you define "normal church"? I'm sure most folks (especially the crazy, strict, cultish fundies) would consider their personal church normal.

"Same goes with "become a believer"  - if i read the Bible and interpret it to mean that Jesus and Mary Magdaline were getting drunk off their asses on water-turned-to-wine, and parting like it was Sodom and Gommorah part 2, so that was what I should do, then that behavior would be ok?

Also "not our place to judge anybody" and calling the Wesboro nuts "hateful people" seems pretty judgy to me.
  • I feel like religion is not objective.  People will say "fundie" and depending on the person will disagree whether they fall into that category or not. 

Also Scientology is more mocked than Christianity.

Yep...I said it.

Nola, you do you. 
  • I meant people who spread hate like they do, the things they say and the way they boycott funerals, most Christian churches would never condone any of that.  I don't like what they do and think its wrong, but I don't think I should follow their lead and stand across the street from them and yell that they are going to hell.  Only God knows peoples true minds and if they are truely saved and going to heaven. 

By normal church I just meant one that tends to believe things more directly from the bible, for instance the only way to heaven is to be saved, or that like keeps being quoted, love the sinner but not the sin.  Most of the time churches like Westboro call themselves something like Baptist ( or any demonomination) but have actually broken away from whatever association because they believe something that doesn't go with the normal beliefs of that group. They are very extreme. 

I live in the south and there are racist people or judgy people at every church I have ever associated with, but the majority don't act like that or I wouldn't go there. If a gay person was in my church I think they would know we believe that is a sin, but no worse than any other sin that everybody else in the church commits everyday.  I don't look at them and tell them they are going to hell, thats not my call and if everybody that sins goes to hell nobody would be in heaven.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_yall-know-i-said-i-was-going-to-hush?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:106dd70a-f4a1-4f0c-b6e6-265b672c6889Post:f728198d-6022-4d76-bb21-c4d490d2bfd7">Re: Y'all know I said I was going to hush.</a>:
    [QUOTE] By normal church I just meant one that tends to believe things more directly from the bible, for instance<strong> the only way to heaven is to be saved</strong>, or that like keeps being quoted, love the sinner but not the sin.  Most of the time churches like Westboro call themselves something like Baptist ( or any demonomination) but have actually broken away from whatever association because they believe something that doesn't go with the normal beliefs of that group. They are very extreme.   Posted by pegasuskat[/QUOTE]

so Buddhists, Jews, Musllims, Mormons, Pastafarians, Wiccans, or essentially anyone non-"Christian" = not a "normal" church?

<strong>"the only way to heaven is to be saved / love the sinner but not the sin</strong>" - I grew up in a churchgoing Catholic family, went to CCD, and have never once heard this in church. So, not normal?
  • You know, I'm kinda tired of Christians saying, "Well, we don't support those Christians".  Then, why isn't there a bigger movement of Christians saying, "Shut the hell up, crazies?"

Also, I just don't get having a book of sins.  Another thing that bothers me.  It's reactive and full of negatives.  Why not be proactive and full of positives?  If someone just walked around saying, "This, this, this and this is wrong b/c I said so, " we'd laugh in their face, but b/c it's God, it's cool.  
  • I said "for instance" not the only things, I am aware different religions believe different things. I personaly believe that you only go to heaven if you are saved (profess you believe in Jesus). I have full respect for Catholic, or Methodist or whatever, but not extreme groups like Westboro that use a few words out of the bible to spread hate.  I don't consider them to be anything but cults, not "normal" churches that follow the docterine that other churches in the same belief follow.  I guess I am not explaining myself very well, sorry.  I am not trying to judge anybody, but I do believe there is only one way to go to heaven, and I believe the bible says that also. I think there are people that go to churches of every denomination every week and are good people but they won't go to heaven.
  • Peg, this is a never ending debate. Trust.

• DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_yall-know-i-said-i-was-going-to-hush?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:106dd70a-f4a1-4f0c-b6e6-265b672c6889Post:93c5808a-381a-4087-9e5c-1bd3e42ddfef">Re: Y'all know I said I was going to hush.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Y'all know I said I was going to hush. : This, exactly.
    Posted by loveshine1[/QUOTE]

<div>Word. I think we've been pretty clear about the difference between nutty evangelical creationist gay-haters and actual good people who happen to believe in God, even if we don't specifically say so each time it comes up.</div>

• Duckis pretty much nailed it.  NOLA - you really are an example of how Jesus would want his followers to behave.  I don't think that everyone who calls themself a Christian is.  I grew up southern Baptist and I'd be willing to bet that my belief system was pretty close to yours.  It's changed over the years, and I now believe there are many paths to the Divine that are just as valid as the one I was taught as a child.  However, I still have an appreciation for the fact that I had that upbringing to give me a foundation to build on. 

I get eye-rolly at a lot of fundamentalist Christians, not because of their belief systems, but because of their judgmental attitudes.  I feel the same way about racism and sexism. 

I'm reading a good book right now called God of Love by Mirabai Starr.  She has several passages quoted in the front of the book, and I realized that one of them, a verse from 1 John, pretty much boils it all down for me:  God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
  • I know Nola, and I have like you been on here a long time and just usually choose not to say anything, but we have to occasionaly try.  Who knows, if one person on this whole board got saved because of something they read it would be worth it.

I feel like I know everybody on here so well, because I have been around so long, I have prayed for, cried for and laughed with everybody.  But, I share so infrequently that I feel like I am on a soap box when I do.  Something big happens and I don't post it because you would all be like who is that... I have things to say a lot but it seems like I read everything about 5 min. after somebody else said exactly what I would have said.  Sorry for that, I should share all the time or not at all.
  • Catholics don't teach anything about being "saved" either.
  • I really really really really hate it when people say they're going to pray for me.  I work on not responding to that at all, b/c I really find it an affront to my own beliefs.  The only thing I hate more is when someone is all, "well I hope you find Jesus.'  I grit my teeth so hard.  Do you have any idea how disrespectful and condescending it feels?
  • Word, V.

I understand it is from compassion and wanting to spread the faith and love that YOU feel, but understand that others don't feel that way...intention is kind of lost.
  • Do you have any idea how disrespectful and condescending it feels?

Yep, I do. Hence the post.
  • NOLA, we're just going to have to disagree b/c I think christian bullying is a convenient myth.  It's the majority religion, there's never been a president of any other faith, there are laws in states forbidding any other faiths or atheism in elected leaders and there are Ten Commandments illegally placed placed in public properties while church leaders preach politics from their pulpits and aren't charged taxes, never audited and don't have to follow the same rules as any other not-for-profit or tax free institution.  I think Christians feels bullied by people who fight back against their wrongdoings that they justify with god.
  • So, disrespect only flows one way. I got it now.

V, you are right. We won't agree on this topic.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_yall-know-i-said-i-was-going-to-hush?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:106dd70a-f4a1-4f0c-b6e6-265b672c6889Post:aa800182-af9d-4ead-a215-8e36893e774a">Re: Y'all know I said I was going to hush.</a>:
    [QUOTE]You know, I'm kinda tired of Christians saying, "Well, we don't support those Christians".  <strong>Then, why isn't there a bigger movement of Christians saying, "Shut the hell up, crazies?"</strong> Also, I just don't get having a book of sins.  Another thing that bothers me.  It's reactive and full of negatives.  Why not be proactive and full of positives?  If someone just walked around saying, "This, this, this and this is wrong b/c I said so, " we'd laugh in their face, but b/c it's God, it's cool.  
    Posted by VarunaTT[/QUOTE]

I'm trying my best!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards